1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

stoned belt

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by shaksDWG, May 6, 2006.

1. shaksDWG

shaksDWG New Member

I recently picked up a stone on the belt. this caused a small bubble on the outside and i can see the stone pressing through. there isnt any tearing or shredding showing and it doesnt seem to be hurting anything (yet). any idea as to get it out? leave it? or should i just go ahead and replace it.
    thanks paul
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

DWG, I treat the drive belt like I do A fan belt on my cage , if it has a bad spot ,I change it ,, I 'am lazy & don't like to walk to far , & they always seem to go when your far away from anything :rolleyes:
  3. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

DWG, I’m not sure if I understand you; are you saying your riding around with a stone on your drive belt? PULL IT OUT. I know folks that live down the ol’dirt road, and they pick up stones/pebbles all the time. IMO, belts are too expensive to replace every time you pick up a stone. Just make your belt part of your pre-ride inspection, and replace accordingly. Them belts are REAL durable.
  4. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Just Think Of The Damage It's Doing To Your Pullys!
  5. chrisflhtc

chrisflhtc New Member

Take the stone out and ride it the gates rep told me that it only weakens it a small amount. If money or mechanical ability is no issue by all means change it out whenever you see some damage to it.Ill take your castoffs if they haven't been over bent.:D
    Chris
  6. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

I guess my input on this is...change the belt out, have peace of mind that it won't break anytime too soon, don't change it out, wonder everytime you go out if it's going to hold and how far you'll have to push it when it does!:rolleyes:
  7. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Belts and country roads

The 06 is the third belt drive I have had. I usually, not liking cities a great deal, live where, when ya get dorections to me place it goes someting like: Take state road 9 for 5 miles then take a left in the gravel between two large trees.....me and most of my riding partners are anywhere from a quarter mile to a mile and a half down gravel roads. Ya dp pick up gravel. Another reason to do the preride check. I have been assured both by mechanics I trust and the Belt manufacturers that these belts are as OK for us country boys as they are for city folk. Just check things out, remove the rock so it doesn't screw up your pulloeys and go on. While the motor company isn't always looking out for our best interests....they do have teams of lawyers that watch thier butts. And getting involved in a class action suit by rural HD riders cause you can only operate a Harley on paved roads...would not only cost them a fortune it would make them a laughing stock. By all means check the belt regularly for wear and for damage, but picking up the occasional stone is like getting the occasional paint chip from a stone...something you just live with. As was said if ya got the money and all replace it as much as ya want.....and ah can I get in the line to pick up your cast offs as well?
    In the end do what ya feel right and comfortable doing.....and carry a cell phone....Ride Free.