1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

stripped cylinder studs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hdbluse, Jul 18, 2006.

1. hdbluse

hdbluse New Member

Got some stripped cylinder studs and was wondering if timeserts are a better choice over helicoils. Any opinions on subject would be helpful.
    <Also>
    Has anyone tried drilling and tapping with engine in frame using jig, and if so how did you deal with aluminum chips?
  2. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I personally hate helicoils. I have never had much luck with them. I have had nothing but success with the EZ-Lok thread inserts. They make them for all kinds of specific applications including cylinder heads. I haven't used them for your application but I have used them quite a bit and they are a much better system. Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.ezlok.com/
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

one way to deal with the shavings is to use a heavy grease on the drill bit and tap. go slow and remove often to rid of shavings and recoat with grease. hope this helps a bit
    chuck
  4. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I Think The Heli-coils Suck Too. Not Relieble Enough
  5. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Good point about the grease. Assembly lube works well too.

Good luck.
  6. hdbluse

hdbluse New Member

Thanx for the replies. I had the same feeling about the helicoils, and I heard about using grease for the chips but still don't feel warm and fuzzy doing it that way. kinda hopin' for miracle cure like self healing motor oil.
    I'll probably split case and use maxpower_hd's suggestion with ez lok, the timeserts look promising but not enough info on reliability.
    Guess there's no shortcut in doing it right the first time.
    thanx .
  7. CD

CD Guest

Except on a certain year EVO, I can't remember the year but I think '87-'88, cylinder studs being pulled out were a sign of over torquing the studs or using the wrong procedure. Improper warm up can also contribute to the problem.

How many pulled out?

If I remember correctly some or all of the stud holes are not blind and go into the crank case. If so, you will get chips inside no matter what you do and the engine will be trashed in short order. I checked with a builder friend of mine that says he will not do stud repair without cracking cases.

I would recommend pulling and examining every insert for damage and repair any that are. I agree that the EZLOK is better than Helicoil. Grease works fine to keep the chips down.

I use Kibble white studs and I always use the Oil fix kit and Honda bond anytime I have the cylinders off. Never had a repeat base gasket leak using this method. The torquing procedure is important. You use the Newton method and creep up on the final torque.

Make sure you set the stud height correctly and seal the threads with Honda bond.

https://www.directparts.com/static/articles/harleyoilfix.html

https://www.directparts.com/cgi-bin/dp.store/EN/Product/DSDS174760

8. hdbluse

hdbluse New Member

Problem started out as a leaking base gasket and when we went to put new studs in they went in too easy for an interference thread, (I mean you could screw them in with your fingers easy). Four were on the shift side of my '93 fxlr though only the front base was leaking. Figured it wasn't going to be a job for locktite, just didn't know what inserts were best for the job.
    Been to the link you posted (did most of my homework) and I'm goin to order the oil fix and another set of studs and go with the ezloks. Funny how the bike in the article was a '93 fxr, and are those your initials I see at the bottom? In any case I only want to do this job once and get some road time in.
    Thanx for the link

Ya know I've never been much of a joiner, and never saw a forum i really liked 'til I stumbled in here. Like it, think I'll stay awhile
    Thanx again