1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

stripped oil drain plug on sporty crankcase

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by XLBLACK, Jul 17, 2004.

1. XLBLACK

XLBLACK New Member

I Am New At This Game,so Please Have Patience. I Just Purchased A Nearly New 1977 Xl, No Miles But Lots Of Buggers,( Have You Ever Looked That Up In Your Funk And Wagnels?). The Main One I Have To Address First Is A Stripped Crankcase Drain Plug .what Has Worked For You, I Know This Is Not The First One To Strip Out. I Dont Want To Have To Keep One Eye On The Oil Light, And The Other On The Rear View Mirror, I Need At Least One To Look Down The Road Ahead.
    Seriously, I Plan On Keeping This Thing Awhile, And Dont Want To Worry About It. Thanks For Your Help,xlb
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

The best bet is to put a heli coil in the stripped out plug..Ride Safe David.
  3. XLBLACK

XLBLACK New Member

Thread Repair

Thanks For The Info, When I Finally Got Back On Bike Project, I Found Some Mechanical Genius Had Installed A Plug That Was Too Short. I Was Able To Go With Longer Plug To Solve Problem . Thanks Again For The Help. Xlb
  4. langstonje

langstonje New Member

Rubber Plug

Stop By A Jiffy Lube Or A Oil Shop. There Is A Rubber Plug That Expands When You Tighten It With A Phillips Screw Driver. It Works Great And It Will Not Cost You Allot.