1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stripped out stand off in nose cone.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Hi guys, whats the easiest fix for a stripped out ignition module stand off?
    It's actually the hole in the nosecone of my 1970 shovelhead that is stripped out. Should I try to heli coli it or are there stand offs that have a bigger screw head on them so I can drill it out and tap it in a bigger thread size. Or do I need to replace the whole nosecone?
    Just so you know I DIDNT STRIP IT OUT! Not this time anyway. Haha. I actually did do this before. But somebody else did it this time.
    It seems like a common problem b/c the screw head is only about 1/8" diameter and it's twice now that I have experienced this problem so maybe one of you guys has an easy fix for this.
    Thanks guys!
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

is it an empty hole?? if so, i would just tap it out to the next size bigger.........
  3. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Yes, it's empty. Are stand-offs available in larger diameter sizes than the standard? If so from where?
  4. chucktx

are these standoffs the ones that hold the pointcover on with two screws???? one at 6oclock and one at 12oclock??
  5. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Yes sir. Actually they are 3 and 9 o'clock.... why?? Am I fck'd?
    Larger dia stand offs would work if they are available.
  6. chucktx

what end is stripped....where the point cover attaches?? or where the stand attaches to the point plate?
  7. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Stand in thru point plate. Actuallt it's the hole in the cam cover that is stripped out.
  8. chucktx

ok, i reread......the stand, which is one of the locking bolts for the cam plate. stripped out of the hole in the nose cone...........
  9. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

umm.. yea.
  10. chucktx

get a piece of all thread the next size bigger, and long enough to stick out past the nose cone, tap the hole to fit it. use nuts that fit the all thread to lock the plate. use chrome acorn nuts to hold the outer plate on. this will mean that you need to tap the other stand where the screw screws in to the same as the all thread, so you can have matching acorns. a long threaded bolt will work also,,,,,just need to cut the head off.......
  11. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Yes!!!!!!!!!
    You rock!!!!
    Thanks!!!!!
    I will do just that!!
    I will post a pic for all to enjoy.
    Thanks.
  12. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Better yet, I drilled out the hole in the nosecone and tapped for 10-24 threaded rod. I found a coupler that is the same length as the stand-off. I will cut the threaded rod the proper length, them use the coupler with a lockwasher to lock down the timing plate and then the cam cover screw will attahed to the coupler. It is a larger 10-24 screw tho so I will have to enlarge the holes in the timing plate and the cam cover. The fix shouldn't even be noticable from outside when finished.
    Thanks Chuck!
  13. chucktx

excellent!!!!!!!!! pics!! lol
  14. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I should have it complete this weekend. It's hard to find time with 3 kids.