1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stripped T-30 rounded nut

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by MarginCallDue, Dec 21, 2005.

1. MarginCallDue

MarginCallDue New Member

:rolleyes: HELP! I tried to replace the shift linkage on my Sporty with an enscripted "Harley davidson" polished rod. The 1st nut came loose fine but I stripped the 2nd a wee bit just so I cannot get any force w/o it coming out of place. Any suggestions instead of drilling it out altogether? Thanks
  2. CD

CD Guest

Is it a T-30 or Torx Plus? H-D uses Torx plus sizes. If you were using Torx T-30 try a Torx Plus.
  3. MarginCallDue

MarginCallDue New Member

Thanks for your advise!

Believe it or not, the Torx-plus did not budge it. I ended up using an "easy out" 1st but even that would not work. so I ended up epoxing the easyout after hammering it. After letting it setup for a few hours I used my wife hairdryer to heat up the shift lingage and also used lubricating oil! FINALLY the **** thing came off like butter, what a chore. Thank you again for all your advise, BillD :)
  4. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Torx Plus? Thought I was some kind-a mechanic, bu never heard of them. Is it an in-between sized set? I do have a couple of torx type screws/bolts that my torx seemed a little loose in (like the brake calipers), but have not stripped one out yet.
  5. scooter

scooter New Member

"Believe it or not, the Torx-plus did not budge it. I ended up using an "easy out" 1st but even that would not work. so I ended up epoxing the easyout after hammering it."

Classic...this dude can't get a fastener off for a routine change out. Yet, there I am at 3000 miles, and one of my flange nuts on the exhaust decides to wander off into the country side at 75 mph. Pretty neat trick if you ask me, sounds like someone at the factory was tightening down the wrong nuts so tight!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Torx vs. Torx Plus

Theres a wee bit of difference. Supposed to allow more Torque

I'm for anything that increases Torque :eek:
  7. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Oh great! Now there is another tool I'll have to go buy being a tool addict. Do they have Methadone for tool buyers? :D
  8. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

I went to the Internet and did some research, and sure enough the Torx Plus looks like a better tool than the old Torx. So I went to Sears online and they had a set for only...$137. What a deal. I probably only need 3 or 4 out of the set, but they don't sell separately. Torque/Torx ain't free.
  9. CD

CD Guest

Try your local Snapper Head (Snap On) or Mac Tools guy. They usually carry about anything in singles.
  10. MarginCallDue

MarginCallDue New Member

Replacing my 19" stock wheel with a 21" laced spoke for my 05 Sporty....

:confused: I hate the stock look of my HD 883xl stock cast aluminum wheel. i saw locally for sale but it is a 21" soked wheel. Will this fit my bike? I'll welcome any experience thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance.
  11. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

It'll probably fit, but you will most likely need to cut new wheel spacers.
  12. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

BTW, you will need to know what year models will fit the bike and other info such as, single or dual disc on yours -vs- the wheel you intend to purchase, axle diameter, and what kind of space you have on the current fender. I BELIEVE it'll fit diameter-wise, but can't answer for the rest. Good luck!