1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

stroker motor timing advance

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Does a stroker motor respond better to more timing BTDC or less?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Generally bigger engines, less timing, you don't want to get too aggressive or you can get into detonation...

I ran the SNS IST which had a knock sensor and learning capability, managed the ignition curve for me, really was a life saver as it doubled the engine warranty
  3. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Less timing because it takes shorter time for the piston to get to TDC, correct?
  4. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I'll throw my 2 cents in here for fun. If you pic an rpm say 2000, the time it takes for the piston to go from BDC to TDC is always the same regardless of stroke. However, the more you stroke it the faster the piston speed has to be. But, anyway, I think timing is more dependent on compression. The higher the compression the less timing advance you can give it before it starts to knock.

For instance my EVO stock was 35 degress before TDC after about 3500 rpm. When I raised the compression I had to reduce the advance curve and I think the max came to about 25 degrees before TDC. Any more than that on a hot day it sounded like I had a popcorn maker between my legs.

I hope that was what you where asking.