1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Struggling with exhaust decision

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jturuk, May 2, 2008.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Hi all

Contemplating doing the stage I upgrade on my Road King. After reading a lot of posts on this topic the decision on the Air intake system and Engine tuning kit were not that difficult but what I am really struggling with is the exhaust part of the equation. When I picked the bike up I expected the stock exhaust to be much quieter than it is. I like the way it sounds just the way it is. So what are my options? Do any of you know of some slip ons that provide the exhaust flow needed for the upgrade yet still keep the sound levels at or near the factory exhaust system?

Thanks

John
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a set of supertrapps. they are adjustable for the sound you want, loud and obnoxious to super quiet. all you do is add or subtract discs, and this is done from the outside of the system!...............:)
  3. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Thanks chucktx

So with these Supertraps you can do whatever you want with these disks to alter the sound but the exhaust flow isn't changed at all?

John
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

flow through the exhaust is altered some......depending on the plates. also you can put one amount on one side and another amount on the other to balance the sound, flow. one of the best tunable exhausts on the market.....they really work nice with stage 1 and stage 2 upgrades. you will be able to do all sorts of mods to the engine and not have to change systems, just add or subtract discs..................:)
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

you will have to remap the efi system as well , but the supertrapp's are the pipes to go with
  6. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I'd agree that the SuperTrapp would be the setup for what you want, John.

Taking it to the extreme, if you ever get a chance to watch the XR750 flat-track racers, look close @ the bikes in the pits if you can - count the number of discs @ the end of each pipe & they won't be the same. Those guys tune each cylinder individually.

And on your bike, the pipes are so long & unequal length that it's tough to get both cylinders to breathe the same. But you can do that by adding or subtracting discs from the end of each pipe. It'll take some "trial & error" & if you can, have the bike run on a dyno with a qualified operator when you've got a bunch of discs to play with.

The more discs you add, the louder the exhaust will be, but the SuperTrapp setup never gets obnoxious loud like drag pipes & in your case, the sound is coming out behind you anyway.