1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

synthetics...crank fumes and oil return vs HP output/increase

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Jul 13, 2004.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

anyone have any problems with synthetic oils not letting roller bearings 'roll" but instead they they slide around the bearing and then get flat spots. Read it but know of no one.
    Another question if I drill and let the oil drain from the top of the engine to the bottom thru a hose back into the lower case is there really any increase in hp. I know people who have done this and now a local shop has a dyno.. so gonna take the stage one in and get a base run first and for air fuel mix more importantly, then remove the dirty crankcase air fumes test then possibly drill another oil return to keep the crank out of the oil down flow to to see if I get three HP from both that would be 6hp for free. But main thing is the air fuel..don't want it to lean... anyone done these and dyno... I am gonna out of fun unless there is not much postive feedback. :cool:
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

As for the synthetic oil issue, it's an old wives tail, spread by people that didn't or don't want to understand the issues and the chemistry behind oils.

If you want to read up about lubricants there is a great motorcycle oil forum on www.bobistheoilguy.com. the guys that hang here with answers are petrolium engineers. Bearing Skate is nothing more than BS, one shop I talked with won't do Syn because he had a bearing failure on a motor with Synthetic in for the first time, he'd just rebuilt the motor and more than likely improperly installed the bearing, FWIW I believe his excuse was the oil the customer brought in to save him the cost of rebuilding a motor that he screwed up to begin with.

Think about it, for a cam end to cause a bearing to move it would have to touch it and that would require less lubrication not more.

Also 20W-50 Synthetic is the exact same lubricant as 20W-50 dyno oil, in that to get a grade assigned to the product you have to meed the specifications for API. Syn 20w-50 is no more slippery than dyno 20W-50 it just doesnt break down as easily so as you run the bike it retains properties like it did when new, so it works better.

The difference in Synthetic to dyno is simply that Dyno oils require a lot more additives to keep them from breaking down. Synthetics base stock can withstand higher temp cycles than dyno without those additives, so when you heat your HD up to 240 daily, maybe 260 or more in traffic, which oil do you want protecting the moving parts, one that breaks down or one that maintains it's properties for double the life cycle.

As for drilling I'm not sure what you mean when you want to drill out to get oil to bypass to gain HP, oil sumping in the cases would cause you to loose power as the crank has to spin through the oil, that's why you see windage trays on race cars to keep the crank wet but not submerged.

As far as the breather and HP I've done it and nothing in the HP or TQ figures show any measurable increase. The trick is to get HD's Cali model charcoal canister tube for your bike, it will run down the frame backbone to behind the trans, the pop on a small filter on the end, connect the top of the tube to the breathers and you've bypassed the EPA return of unburnt oil.
  3. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Hey there Hotroadking

I've read your explanation of Syn vs. Dino in a couple of threads and even read the material in the link you provide. I totally agree with everything you say....................except one. I agree that 20w50 is 20w50 whether it is dino or syn. Those numbers refer to the weight and flowability of the oil. I agree that syn holds up to heat better.

But..........everything I have read tells me that syn oil has a much greater viscosity. Viscosity is the ability of the lubricant to cling to the metal, if not penetrate the surface. If you coat metal with both types of oil and then allow the item to just sit, the syn oil would still be present long after the dino oil has drained or otherwise left the metal.

The friction between two metallic surfaces causes the oil to leave those surfaces and if not replenished by the lubrication cycle, the metal eventually runs dry. Syn oils cling longer under all conditions than dino.

My conclusion from what I've read is that the real value in syn oils is in it's viscosity above other qualities it may possess.

I read all your input and really enjoy and appreciate your knowledge. Hope you keep it up.
  4. CD

CD Guest

Visosity & cling?

Actually, viscosity is the ability of a liquid to flow or resist flow. For example, 20W-50 will flow a lot slower than 10W-30 will. The ability of a an oil to cling to metal parts is inherent to the type of oil and Synthetics tend to cling much better than Dyno oils do. I have never heard or read of a specific additive that increases the ability to cling.

The API viscosity rating is what we use to determine the ability of an oil to flow under specific conditions. Multigrade oils were developed to help eliminate the need to change from 30W or 40W oil to 10W or 20W in the winter.
    Phillips 66 released TropArtic multi grade oils in 1954 and for many years muti grade oils were hotly debated.

I remember the debates at the local gas station over straight vs. Multiviscosity oil and later deterent vs. non-detergent oil. There was an old mech. there that swore multiviscosity oils would fail and burn up the bearings and the deterents would cause the sludge to break up and block the small passages.

Sound familiar?

Even though I was a kid I remember this and later how freaking much sludge could be in an engine that ran non-detergent oils.
  5. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Thanks again CD for a very clear and well illustrated explanation. I stand corrected. Viscosity is not the word for the quality I was trying to describe. Maybe cling is a suitable word.

I heard a fellow biker at the local HD shop telling about servicing his bike before a trip from Houston to Daytona. He was in Pensacola Beach before he realized he had forgot to re-fill his primary. Luckily, he had always used Synthetic oil in it. He claims there was no damage of any type and that was a year and a half ago.

I remember the advent of additives being sold around the late 60's and early 70's which claimed to have this "cling" feature. That's about the time STP and Chemguard and a few others entered the market. As a short term salesman for Chemguard products in 1972, one of the tricks my regional manager used was to fill a lawn mower with Chemguard, then drain the sump and mow a lawn. I never tried it with my lawn mower.

CLING-A-BILITY
  6. CD

CD Guest

Skids or slippery when wet?

Just another wive's tale. Corvettes use rollers and have used synthetics for years as did the Taurus with the Yamaha HO engine.

Not sure how you would accomplish much of anything. Where would these holes be located? By draining back into the crankcase you would most likely loose HP like HRK said. There have been all sorts of articles written on routing crankcase gasses back into the engine and how it hurts power. Funny thing is, I have not seen a single Dyno run that demonstrates a marked, measurable power loss on a street bike. While there is a sound argument for recycling the vapors causing a loss in power there is a more pressing need for us to understand the EPA will crack down sooner or later and in some states smog inspections will be the norm.
  7. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks!!!!!

thanks as usual for all the info HRKand CD as well as everyone else.
    The thought behind the oil drainage is to keep the oil from covering the crank anymore than it needs to be from its own lubrication system thus less resistance(even though it is oil) the more power you'll get. Anyways that is a short version kinda like running in water ankle deep vs. running in water knee deep. Either way it is not gonna happen on my bike.
    ps. You still gotta/should change the syn at the same intervals but there will be LESS breakdown between changes is what I get from this also correct?
    Never put it in a HD before.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes you should always change at the same interval, it's a good idea especially on an air cooled motor, I think you'll find the syn oil makes the motor cooler and quieter over dyno.

For the motor Mobil 1 15W-50 auto oil at $4 a qt from Yall Mart is the key, for the gearbox, mobil 1 sys 75-90 or Amsoil syn same weight. I haven't heard a great reason to run syn in the clutch primary so standard hd primary fluid is good Redline MTL is a great option.

As to the oil the hd is a dry sump system anyway, you don't have a ton of oil in the crank at any time anyway so I think you'd be wasting time and $ better spent elsewhere,
  9. kidd

kidd New Member

what ever oil you use just change it at the suggested oil change and you will be fine.