1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tacho kit for 03 0r 04 Sportster

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Nov 1, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Hi all

I wonder if anyone knows anything about Harley tacho kits.

I want one for my 04 Sportster, and have seen the kits available form the harley dealers.
    The 04-06 kit is different to the kits for -- up to 03.

On a chance that it is only a minor difference...different wiring plug or similar...I just bought a used tacho and housing from a 03 Sportster on e-bay.

Any one tell me if this can be wired to work with my 04 bike? or i the difference perhaps on the housing? mounting bolt spacing or something?

Cheers

Neil
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hey neil!!! nice to see ya posting.....hope someone can answer the question........i am at a loss........
  3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Thanks for the welcome back...have been involved in bicycles for a few months now, and all sorts of other stuff.
    Need to do some work on the bike, new tank, seat, and tacho, bars and right hand control. Cant afford new parts so picking things up on ebay as they come up.
    Been in workshop today, I am building a scissor lift for the bike. Lifts about 20 inches on a 6 1/2 inch hydraulic ram. All made out of stuff I had kicking around the workshop. Will post some picks when I get it finished
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Be good to see the pictures
    glad to hear from you.

The difference might be in the signaling I know HD changed
    EFI platforms around then and moved to a single data bus system on
    big twins that changes the way electronic signals are sent to specific
    items.

EVen on the 2010's and 11's there are big changes now,
  5. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Well I have just finished work...morning shift...and just home at 4pm ...so off down workshop to fit the ram (attempt to fit maybe ) ..will take the camera.

Cheers for the info

The tach and housing arrived today...a couple of chips in paint...but no big deal...cost £40 or so ...a new one was £308...welllOK as long as it does work...but cant test it yet as I just stripped the tank/carb and wiring off in order to (eventually) fit the 1200 kit.

Pics late this evening
  6. hotroadking

good to hear.

BTW if you haven't made the lift, be sure to make it wider and taller than you
    planned originally LOL...
  7. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Damn...forgot the camera.
    Well the base of the lift is 33 inches by 20 wide. The top platform is just two lengths of 1 inch angle iron at the moment...that is 24 inches long and as wide as the base.

The platform is about 4 3/4 inch high...need to fit the bracket I have made that locates under the bike yet. From measuring other 'side lift' bike lifts I have used,and the under bike clearance, looks like max height must be about 5 1/2 to 6 inches.

With a ram that travels 6 1/2 inches, I get 19 3/4 inch to the top of my platform rails.

Was going to use a bottle jack on it side connected to a 'Portapower' body jack pump, but the body of the bottle jack is rather thick. So this afternoon, I spent cutting down a 40 inch by 1 inch double acting ram, cut it down to about 8 inch travel...but I think the shaft is bit bent and it does not move very freely.....in fact does not ,ove much at all without help from a large hammer. I have another ram the same, so will check out the ram on that tomorrow and see if that is any better....otherwise back to the drawing board with regard the ram.
  8. hotroadking

9. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I had not seen that make before, but they are similar in design to the ones over here...but they are 'side lift' type design, so you end up with the handle and lifting mech on one side of the bike.

My design, the ram and all is totally under the bike, once up, it will be totally under the bike, like the Pitbull Dolly Stand. If I need more stability I can put some extenders on the lower frame....all will be revealed when I finally get around to taking a camera down the farm

Thanks for the link though