1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Take a guess

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Mar 8, 2011.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My 03 E Glide almost stock 88 TC with andrews 26 chain drive cams & SE air cleaner & V&H true duals , has about 500 miles on cams , startes good but dies when warmed up let set a few minets & she'll start again , it did not start once so I pulled the plugs & front had fire but the the rear it cooled a bit & fired up & ran so-so , I have called a few indy shop & dealers all say in different words cams are one tooth off /or the PC3 took a dump have'nt un plug the PC3 so don't thing thats it had the cams /timming double check don't think thats it , couls it be the coil ? :banghead:banghead:
    I also have a coil I bought for the efi to carb swap will it work? both have different PT#'s
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i vote electrical......cams dont come and go with temp. changes. coil or pc3 may be at fault......hope someone can tell ya if a efi coil will work in place of a carb. coil........i would think so, spark is spark....................
  3. cowboy

My locol Indy said it should just different ohms ,I think , just as I hung up from him the washer repair was done , so I started a load (after he tested it ) & sure as all heck it leaked all over the back room floor & he's on his way home :banghead:,I called sears & told them & now have to cll a locol PH# to get them back :rant::cussing::witsend::banghead:
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Bet it's the coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I agree, could be the coil. Another thing to check, have you load tested the battery? EFI can be finicky about voltage drops. Also a battery cable internally corroded can cause similar problems (been there myself).
  6. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

Put a digital volt meter on the battery and see what's happening with the engine running. If the battery voltage drops below a certain point, the EFI won't work.
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Unplug the PCIII and try running it with the stock ECM to see if it acts the same just to eliminate the PCIII as the problem. If it still dies with the PC unplugged,then you're down to battery, cables or coil...seems like an electronic problem so I'm guessing PCIII or coil.
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

When I took my bike to Wolfgang Grasser to dyno it. When he put it on the dyno and opened the map he said look, you have no map from 0 to WOT.
    I said it had a map, I looked at it and the HD dealer dynoed it over a year ago.
    He also said yer timing it off too.
    Was over at the HD dealer 2 weeks ago gittin a part for the new pipes I put on.
    A dude came in with a Vrod that wouldn't run.
    They hooked it up to the computer and it had no map. It too had a Power Commander on it.
    The dealer took the PC off and put a map in the ECM and the bike fired right up.
    Funny I've seen this 2 times in about 6 months.

Guess you git what you pay for.

And Hell no I do not like or want a bike with a carb on it.
  9. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Why????
  10. cowboy

Ya My brother PC went out , but his EVO ran right , just would'nt take a map, A buddy across the street on his 06 R king the PC would'nt take a map but ran good , or better then mine , he had a T max put on by out local Indy at $1100 bucks , about 4 months ago he's real happy with it , Now :D I still prefer the carb , Much easier to tune & a hell of a lot cheeper :gah:, Today I going to unplug the PC3 & see if that changes anything on the way it try's to run
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Weren't you doing a carb conversion?

So it's still Eee Efff Eye?

Several things make EFI run funny

Low voltage is one, so check battery and
    charging system and be sure it's putting
    out the power you need.

has it been sitting a while?
    gas might be gummed up depending on age
    and that ethanol will kill stuff, get it out
    get in fresh fuel..

Engine temp sensors go bad on early EFI
    a lot, so it could be it as well and it won't set
    a code as its in tolerance of the range but
    stuck at the end and it runs rich
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Would '03 be early EFI??(mine ain't running quite right either, ET sensor could be a possibility)How many sensors can you eliminate by converting to carb??
    cowboy, what parts have you got left to get to do the conversion?? Might be easier to get the rest of the stuff and pull out the EFI crap and get her running and sounding like a real motorcycle;):devil:
  13. cardboard

They have some inline spark checkers. We use them all the time.

Inline Ignition Spark Checker

[​IMG]
  14. cardboard

When you git a Thunder-Max, you don't realize all the things it allows you to sit down and do with a notebook computer till you've owned one.
    You can set yer afrs where you want them. You can set yer rev limiter. you can set yer idle. And you can look at trouble codes.

You can click on monitor and guages pop up.
    They show AFR's, temp of the motor. Rpm's Tach and so on.
    It has a log so you can log what yer bike done while you rode it.

I'm not experienced enough but you can change yer timing with it.

And all this ain't all what you can do

If you've never had one you don't know nothing about one.
    And worst thing is they are easy to install. 45 minutes if you take yer time.

And if yer pipes don't have bungs. Buy some bungs. watch the video and drill the holes yerself with a hole saw and have the bungs tig welded in.
    Then git a 18mm 02 sensor at Auto Zone and tap the holes after having them welded in.
  15. cowboy