1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tanked

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 17, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

And no I do not mean :drunk::cheers: Well as we all should know, the people who live up in the midwest has now experienced some snow so it was time to put the bikes away. Well, it was last week on hump day, I decided to take my bike to work. Beautiful morning to go riding. I did not want to get off. Well. as the day progressed, it was really nice out. Finally, at about 1300, it started to get dark and cooling off. And I mean fast! There was nothing I could do because there was talk that it might rain, but most indications were not until about 1700. I got done with work at 1515. Well, I started on my way home and as soon as I got to the main highway for me to get home, sure enough, it started to rain. No big deal, rain doesn't bother me if I get caught in it, what can you do? So finally, I started out of town and my bike stalls. I had to turn it to reserve. Now instead of turning and going back into town while I am close, I thought to myself, ahh, I have enough gas to get home. Well all was good until I was like a mile away from house. Guess What. I ran out of gas. :roflmao::gah::wtf: Well. I had to call my wife HotRider to come and bring me some fuel. Shiit, that should have taken about 10 minutes for her to get there. I ended up waiting for almost 45. :roflmao::wtf::gah: In the mean time, I had a had a bottle of Dr.Pepper in my fork bag, so I decided to open it up and have a Pepper there on the side of the road getting very wet. Finally I see my father in law heading in direction in his bus. He turns around and asks me what happened. I told him., and then the whole bus starts laughing at me. I guess I had it coming and I did not mind so much as I thought it was funny too. Finally HotRider shows up and a gas gets put in, and I am on my way home.

I talked about this briefly before, but since this incident, I am going to have to relocate my petcock so I can use all of my reserve. I am not going to do that again. The only thing is telling HotRider that I am going to do it and how much it may cost me. :banghead:

Just thought you all may get a laugh. :D:wtf:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

LOL it's been a good while since I ran out of gas (in the bike anyway) so can you put the 4,5 gal sporty takn on your bike ?I think it's 4.5 gal
  3. JohnnyBiker

I have a 4 gallon on, but the problem is that my tank sits at angle that causes the gas to run to the back of the tank away from the petcock. I have looked at some of those 4.5's and they are all ugly so that is not an option for me.
  4. cowboy

oh now I see , guess you'll have to find a way to level it some :eek:
  5. JohnnyBiker

I thought of that but again that just would not be to my liking. the only real way that I can do it is to cut of the existing bung, plug it and do the body work, the drill the hole closer to the back, pump the tank full of carbon monoxide and weld the new bung in and so on. I have looked at this before but when I was getting 50 mpg with my bike during the nice weather I said that I would not need it. Well, Like I said, no more rain showers for me.
  6. cowboy

well with the tank still in place , make sure you have room near the rear head , both for the fuel valve & your hand , you don't want it to close :eek:
  7. JohnnyBiker

The only real issue that I think that I could possibly run into is having to place the valve in the way of the choke. But it looks like I will be able to avoid that also.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

why don't you make a mount lift for the front
    mounting points a 1/2 bar, two holes, bolt to frame
    and bolt tank to mount it will lift it up just a little to
    give you the angle you need to get the fuel back
    show a little more of the sporty engine chrome
    rocker covers, and cost you almost nothing...
  9. JohnnyBiker

Because you are going in the wrong direction. If I want to level it off, I would have to raise the rear mounts. The tank in angled in the rear not the front.
  10. hotroadking

Couldn't remember, so raise the rear mount?

I did that on my heritage, put a spacer and longer bolt,
    bent the seat mount to fit, tank barely clears the top
    of the 124..

BTW this guy has a sporty tank relocation kit, I though you would be interested, you can set any angle you want :roflmao: he calls it the gan'sta kit..

Attached Files:

11. JohnnyBiker

In order for me to that, raise the rear mount, that would require a lot more fab than that. My tank is rubber mounted. it utilizes the stock location, but it has two large rubber stoppers which are mounted on a bolt, then goes through the frame holes. The actual mounts are welded to the bottom of the tank. Kind of like fingers that fit around the rubber stops.
  12. hotroadking

well I'd look to the repositioning before the weld cut and paint option,

unless of course that is what you really want to do...
  13. JohnnyBiker

I don't have a peanut style tank on anymore, this why it is a little different approach. I really do not want to do this but it is one of those things that I over looked due to inexperience. So now I have to modify. :banghead:
  14. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

maybe post the pictures of your bike again and someone may have an idea that will help.
    How many gallons are you putting in when on empty to full, that will tell you how much you are leaving in the tank to see if it is worth all the trouble of changing anything.

if the bung is toward the front of the tank you can just go down hill and get the fuel to run to the front. :)
  15. JohnnyBiker

I usually put in about 2.8 gallons when I refuel. I usually am not on reserve when I refuel. My tank is a 3.9 gallon.

if you look at it, you can see how the tank tank slopes to the back.

Attached Files:

• 187.jpg
      187.jpg
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

:wtf::gah::roflmao:
  17. JohnnyBiker

Ok, I was able to talk to the people who made my tank. The following is what they had to say after I asked how much of the inside of tank is open since it has been extended. By this I mean is the entire inside area used for fuel, or does it stop 2' from the rear tank. I am asking this because if I am going to relocate my valve, I need to know this. Here is what he had to say.

Jon

I would not do that, any fuel tank has a little fuel left and all you would game is about a ½” mile or less. To move it all the way to the back you will have to shorten the tube and it would make your reserve less.

:gah::gah:, that is not what I asked. :gah::gah:

If you look at the supplied link, and scroll down until you see part number 822cs, actually, all of these tanks have the valve located towards the rear of the tank. I am actually considering changing the tank to one of these, but as usual I am not sure. Check it out. http://www.paughco.com/2008-catalog...as Tanks For Model-Specific Applications.html
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I tend to aggree with the guy, you won't gain that much by changing anything on this tank. If you want to go farther on a tank full you'll need a bigger tank.
    I had a built evo engine with a 4 gallon tank and I could only go about 125 miles and had to fill up. Now with a pretty much stock engine and 5 gallon tank I can go 230 miles before i hit reserve. :D
  19. JohnnyBiker

I do not agree at all. Considering that the gas goes towards the back end of the tank because of its pitch, the gas will be better utilized as it flows into the valve and not away from it. cutting the tube is the dangerous part, if you cut too much of then you have problems with not enough reserve if you need it. I do not want it all the way back, it has to be placed in a position that allows me to not have to cut the tube.

Just for clarification, the link from paughco is not the tank that I have.
  20. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I guess you could try to modify the fuel assembly above the petcock, a tube to the reserve from a lower point in the tank. Essentially the principle of a syphon.