1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tapping Too!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Old Fart on 87FLH, May 22, 2006.

1. Old Fart on 87FLH

Old Fart on 87FLH New Member

I was reading Randy's question,and I'm hearing tapping noises from my ol 87 when I'm over 60mph.She runs great and just purrs,then clatters a little at higher speeds. The bike had top-end done about 5k mi's ago,I'm wondering if this is normal on these early evo motors.Also, this an electraglide custom classic. It has "Genuine Harley Davidson" painted on the tank,and is #284 of 800 made that year. Anyone else riding one of these? Hard to find any specific info on 'em. thanks.....O.F.
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I had what I thought was tapping at higher speeds. Started right after I changed all fluids on my Softail. Thought I f'd up somewhere and rechecked everything. Then on the advice of my bud, I started to look for loose bolts, screws, fasteners, anything loose. Found a few things loose, tightened them all down and the noise is gone. My question.... Is it a tapping, or a rattle??? Sometimes hard to tell. Does it make the noise when revving up or down??? Best of luck finding it. Also welcome to the forum... Peace...:)
  3. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Mine Dose Most Of It's Chattering At A Crusin Speed When I Can Here It The Most. I Would Say It's Prob. A Normal Thing. I've Had Mine From The Lot Since 92' It's A 03' And The Older It Gets The More Jing A Lings And Rattles It Gets. The Only One That Has Done The Service On It Is The Stealer. But It Runs Just As Good As My 89' Did.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I have found installing loud pipes eliminates most annoying mechanical noises LOL

One thing you can do is to get it warmed up and rev up the motor out of gear to about 2700 rpm thats about cruise rpm and see if the noise is there, if so then you can check around the motor for the sound or have a bud help.

It could be something loose like a floorboard or heatshield or a bolt

If it's mechanical in the motor then you can take a screwdriver and press the tip against the cam area, the heads, rockers etc and the handle to your ear, acts like a stethoscope and you can really hear the internal noises.

DOn't try this at 60 MPH though! :eek:

Give the ol gal a good washing and wax and polish, that's the best way as you go over every inch and look for loose parts,
  5. Old Fart on 87FLH

Old Fart on 87FLH New Member

Thanks hotroadking,
    I remember doing that in my old Mustang, a loud radio would cure 'most any noise. Think I'll start tomorrow at the front bumper, and work my way back to check for anything loose, then go for a spin, not that I ever needed a reason to ride ! Let ya know how it goes....O.F.,..aka Jim