1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

TC 95" question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by beachspur, Sep 22, 2007.

1. beachspur

beachspur New Member

I have just rebuilt my 2002 TC to a 95", with high compression pistons, flowed/ported heads with stock valves, ported intake and SE 203 cams. 205lbs compression and EFI. I have only put 110 miles on the engine at this time. I want to put about 500 miles on it befoe I put it on a dyno. What do you guys think about this combination? I know its not ideal, but I only have about $800 in the rebuild doing all the work myself. Just looking for some thoughs on this.....thanks
  2. gabby

gabby New Member

tc95

my bike is a 107 screaming eagle. to be honest, i wish it was stock. my friends pull in to get gas and pump anything. igotta be careful. i bought it used cause i liked the way it looks. dumb move. i personally don't run it hard enough to need that kind of power. don't know how long before it needs rebuilt being that big. build'em good,and build'em stock. then ride, ride,ride. I T W gabby
  3. beachspur

beachspur New Member

Running better now

well, 150 miles now running 93 octane gas. I put a new map on it (can not find the right one) and it is running alot better. I can't wait to get the engine broke in so I can fine tune it. I've had some ppl tell me the 203 cams won't work with the high compression pistons, but everthing seems fine right now. Still looking for some more imput from you guys. Thanks
  4. gabby

gabby New Member

tc95

try some lucas octain booster. my bike holds around 4 gals. to which i add 2 shot glasses of booster. it might not do that much, but with my distrust of good gas, it makes me feel better. it seems to start better to. gabby:cool:
  5. beachspur

beachspur New Member

thanks, I have a five gal tank that I have added octane booster to, I used it on start up and planned to use it if it sounded crappy, but it has been pretty good on the 93 so far. I will probably start adding some to it though.....thanks
  6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I'm a HUGE fan of dynos after mods. The tuning that can be done on them is frickin' brilliant beyond the best-guess mapping. Dyno it as soon as ya can. You may be surprised what they can help ya with...but I doubt you'll be dissapointed with what ya learn about your ride,
  7. beachspur

beachspur New Member

Red Rider I agree with you. I put it on the dyno before the rebuild (had 74HP with filter,PCIII & 2/1 D&D pipes). But I am going to wait until I've got about 500 miles before I put it on the dyno. I'd rather check it after a good break in and oil change.....I'm not going to pay for a dyno tune and have to do it again in a couple of weeks. I was kinda looking for something to ride with while I did the break in that was close. It will be fine tuned after that first oil change and some synthetic oil once the rings are seated completely. I'm ing for mid to upper 90's on HP and close to 100 or so torque. Feels real good right now, but I am having to go a little easy the throttle a little while longer. Thanks for the advice though.
  8. beachspur

beachspur New Member

Just an update. I went to Octoberfeast in Daytona and got Speeds to tune my bike. I made 96 hp and 105lbs torque and I'm still getting 42 MPG not bad with less than a grand in it.....$325 to have it tuned though it was well worth it. I've heard alot of people say that 203 cams will not work with HC pistons, but this one turned out good. I don't race...I just like to crank down on it from time to time.
  9. Cracker

Cracker New Member

If you run into trouble down the road with hot starts kickback starter issues or ping the SE-211 cams work well at 10.5 ~ 10.8 CR ... they will reduce the CCP & may loose a tiny bit on the low end but should make up for it in the mid to upper rpm range. You would need to get another dyno done tuning each individual cylinder AFR along with a new timing map to get the full complement. Just a thought...enjoy the new ride.

Cracker
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

203's may cause you problems when it starts getting hot outside,

And they may not, you hear of several people pulling them for Andrews tw37B's

Go to an autoparts store, they have loaner tools and get a compression tester, check both front and rear cold for cranking pressure be interested to see what you've got in the cyl,

Be sure the air filters off and hold the throttle wide open when you do it, take both plugs out first
  11. beachspur

beachspur New Member

202 & 204 compression cold. I live on the beach here in myrtle beach.......1000 miles I put synthetic oil and cylinder heads are running about 225 at shutoff.
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That's quite high for a street motor but not unstreetable, bud has 220 on his evo 113 but it's a high performance El Bruto.

I'd say your cams and the combination are creating the higher pressures, right now in the winter you may be fine but I'd watch for detonation especially on warm days.
  13. beachspur

beachspur New Member

I'm sure that the domed pistons are pumping up the compression. I am adding a shot of octain boost with each fill. I plan to change the oil every 1500 miles or so due to the high torque.....I don't want to "beat up" the oil too bad. The oil change may be a waste of time, but no need to take a chance. I do my own work so it only cost me the price of the oil and filter. It gets pretty hot here and so far the head temp has been ok. Thanks for the info