1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

TC-96 Oil capacity question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jturuk, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Hi all

I'm changing the oil for the first time getting my bike ready for winter storage and have the following question.

The service manual states that the the oil capacity is 4 quarts but in the oil change procedure they say to put in 3.5 quarts start it up, shut it down and check the level using the "hot check" method.

Does anyone know what the deal is with this? You would think that if the capacity is 4 quarts then dump in 4 quarts and you should be good to go

Thanks again for your responses

John
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

oil capicities are relative.......it will depend on the amount of oil removed from the system, any add ons...i.e. oil coolers, extra filters, ect. the best way to do it is as stated in the manual. i run my oil level at the half mark. if i run it at the full mark the engine will get rid of it until it reached the half mark. once i found out what that capacity was, i was good to go, and that is the amount i use during a change. also, no two folks change the oil the same way, so there will be different amounts left in the engine........hope this helps a bit.............:)
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

John
    I got an 88 with a 95 barrels on it. I don't know if the oil capacity is the same with the two but I'm assuming you're changing the filter as well. If I remember correctly this is your first Harley and as it has a separate oil tank you have to make good and sure that your oil is hot before you drop it out. I've had some wet sump bikes in the past and the oil warmed up rather quickly. Take your bike out for a good ride..the weather here is good this weekend so should be no problem. get the oil good and hot and then drop it out....the 88's took about 3.5 litres so yours should be about the same. you're storing the bike so if you're a little low on the level it isn't the end of the world. When you fire the bike up in the spring get it good and hot and check the level then..you should be pretty close. If you don't have a battery tender make sure you get one. I did that a bunch of years ago ..my battery is 5 years old and still holds a charge well.
  4. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Thanks Sleepy

Yeah I took it for a short highway cruise before I dumped the oil. The oil change went good. Even after the good folks on this board gave me the heads up about putting something under the oil filter (tried cardboard this time around) I still got oil on the garage floor:gah: but I'll get it figured out.

Already got a battery tender as well and the battery harness as well. When I get around to installing it all, I'll have to beg some advice from everyone here on how to best hook it all up.

Not being able to ride for the next four months is gonna really suck!

Take care Sleepy

John