1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

TC "B" Engine Sumping

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

My bud(who's fridge I booked some space in) has a 2000 Heritage and it's sumping....realigned the oil pump and was good for a little while(about a week) and it's sumping again...there is also a horrible knock in the bottom end,sounded to me like the comp nut backed off,so we took the stethoscope and had a listen to try to isolate where it's coming from...with the scope we can hear a "TING"like metal hitting metal on each revolution on the front of where the counter balancer is... front balancer bearing went out a few years ago and took out the engine,HD warrantied all but the flywheel assembly which had/has score marks on the crank shaft...which I've seen not to long ago on a video that they are a sign of crank run out
    I'm wondering if excessive run out could cause the sumping and take out the front balancer bearing on the other side of the engine (new bearings that went in were supposed to me the SE ones)
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

lucifer pull the crank sensor out and look for sighns of metal being a magnet it will pick some up. when i shifted the balancer shaft gear on my deuce i had a very similar noise . had to spilt my cases and send my wheels out had them fix and the balance shaft gear welded to the crank so as not to shift any more if the crank is out the cam chest support bushing will allow the pump to shift and sump! there is no longer any support to keep the pump aligned! if there is low oil pressre the shoe for balance shaft chian will get eaten away. and cause chain slap. that is all i can think of brother hope i helped !
  3. baggerpaul

my buddy tommy whos an great machinst takes the balance shafts out and has the rotating assembly balanced and then puts the cases back together . they still shake a bit. kinda like a evo not bad . we chose to just put it back together as it was . and not over rev it . when they say 6200 they mean 6200 thats all she wrote . it just pulled so good i kept going dam motor heads . should have left it stock would have never had a problem .oh well live and learn.
  4. Lucifer

Thanks BP...good idea to pull the sensor...he said if the damn engine gotta come out again and split the cases he's sending them off to his buddy Wally(retired) He was the head instructor at Fairview College(Canadian Harley School) when he went there and get him to true and weld it and perform some of his magic on the heads,manifold and carb...
    I think I'll wait until we're a couple of hours into mine and I'm going on the test run before I tell him to pull the sensor though... wouldn't want to get hit with a flying wrench if the sensor shows signs of metal on it LOL
  5. Lucifer

Yeah, balanced trued and welded...to bad HD didn't do that at the factory:rolleyes:
    Pretty hard to leave anything stock though... harder to break that way;) No fun in that!!:roflmao:

So you put it back together without the counter balancer assembly after balancing??
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

You might check out Vance & Hines for truing, balancing and welding. They did pressed crankshafts for me when I was Japanese bike maniac years ago. Excellent work. Fast turn-around.
  7. baggerpaul

not mine i did put the balancer assembly back in . i have rode the ones he has done after balancing the complete assembly. and not put them in they are not to bad . feels like a evo vibe .
  8. baggerpaul

i have one bike that shakes my bagger with the alpha motor . and the deuce shakes enough with the set up i got in the motor dont think i have to add any more vibes to what i have .
  9. Fatboy128

Hey BP, are you OK? you're starting to repeat yerself! The mind is the second thing to go! :roflmao:
  10. Lucifer

If he can get a B motor to shake as much as an Evo without the exta balancing chit on it and be as reliable as one (Evo) it would be worth lookin into....nuttin wrong with an Evo bottom end...
    Exhuast pipe on mine is broken almost all the way around only about 1/2" on top and bottom left at the Y...explains the poppin I was gettin on the off ramp..got it welded half way around to keep it straight...gotta take it off though to weld the inside ....straight through baffles on the Kerker/SuperTrap,not on the Ovals
  11. baggerpaul

i hear ya bro the evo is a great motor . all harley motors are awesome . and simple they all have there faults . but does any motor not have a fault some things gonna break . and if i ride it i know iwill break it for sure . my hand is very very bad !! when in doubt wide f------g open !
  12. baggerpaul

i dont know why it did that i dont know why idt did that! must be off my meds: again:roflmao:
  13. Fatboy128

Did what? You talkin to me? Where were we? :roflmao:
  14. baggerpaul

hows the storm up buy youse guys!
  15. Fatboy128

Furgitaboutit! Not here yet. The Irene Express hits us square in the morning. Right now rain!
  16. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Rode a couple of typhoons out in the south pacific, not a fun experience. :gah: Never been on land along the coast when one would hit, can't be a fun experience either.
  17. baggerpaul

well hopes youse guys ah safe and dry all bull aside stay safe brother . God bless you .
  18. baggerpaul

so did ya have to put ice on your head or did you find a super loose primary chain . Or just a very sick twinkie !!!!:(
  19. Lucifer

:roflmao:I didn't wait to tell him...I went for beer right after I did though:drunk: and do kinda need an ice pack for my head today:rolleyes:
    He said when he drained the oil,there was no metal,drained it over a magnet...but he'll pull out the sensor and look....didn't get to touch his at all yesterday....had a 2010 RK he was putting apes on when I got there,the guy that owns it said the Dealer wanted between $1500-$2000 to do it complete:gah:That price was for the bars cables brake line and labor,but Holy Cow!!! It took him about 5 hrs for the job but only charged for 4 hrs because it was the 1st time he did a set on a new bike with ABS and stuff...he figures he can do them in 4 since he's got one under his belt...
    Still hoping it's just a loose comp nut,but with the sound we were hearing,I think it's just a hope...got the primary cover off...chain's not loose..
    Once I get my pipe finished today and new pipes are on I'm gonna clean the bottom, but parked yesterday waiting for the apes to be done there was only the little drip off the cross member,it is dirty around the shifter shaft but it looked dry,but I want to find out how much oil it's down and make sure tranny is still full and if I can find the Permatex right stuff we'll fix it today...
  20. baggerpaul

Try napa store or orielys auto parts . You guys have napa stores up there?