1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

TC Cam Bearing Repair

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Devolution, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Devolution

Devolution New Member

I just bought a 1999 FLTC with less then 10K on the odometer. This bike was laid down with only slight cosmetic damage, nothing that $1k can't fix. I was going through some of the repair orders that the past owner left in the bike. It appears that the bike had a cam repair at 5800 miles. The repair order shows a line that Cam Bearing Repair M-1100 and covered by a warranty with part number 24985-99 Cam Bearing Repair K. I don't hear any odd noises coming from the cams. Should I have this inspected by the dealer just to make sure? I understand that there was an cam bearing issue with the early twin cams. Does this repair take care of the issue with the adjuster for the cam chain or am I better off scapping the chain and going wth the gear drive swap out? Thanks for the help.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

The first year or two of the TC had bad cam bearings , & H D replaced them , My bro-in-law had his 2000 done when it was new , he now has 58K & still running as strong as ever , & no noise from the cam area , I was checking into the gear drive set ,i just don't have the $800 for it
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i dont think it has taken care of the cam shoe problems. but it did take care of the faulty cam bearings......it is an easy job to remove your cam case cover and inspect them your self......if you decide to take on some of these tasks.....get a factory service manual. a good investment would also to purchase a parts catalog also..........best toos in the box.....have fun!!!:)
  4. duke76

duke76 New Member

With only 10k, you wont have to even check your tensioners for another 10k, then if they are bad you can convert to gear or the new hydraulic tensioner setup just like the newer bikes, but if you want to install different cams anyway then you just as well do it. Todd
  5. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Thanks Everyone, I have the factory manual on order now from the dealer.
    Does anyone know what the oil pressure should be for a stock 1999 FLTC at idle? Everything seems to be okay but I just want to make sure.

My wife said this weekend that our house is starting to look like a HD dealer with 3 bike parked out front and a shed full of parts. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful wife that understand.
    Thanks again, Devo.