1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

TC head info needed

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Apr 17, 2011.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Are the heads for all TC 88 the same from model to model ? I have a chance to get a set of heads from a 06 softail at a good price
    I want to put them on my 03 E glide the 06 heads have 3500 miles on them
  2. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

The heads will work just fine, providing both motors are fuel injected. If yours has a carb and the heads you're looking at are f.i., you may have a problem with the intake manifold not mounting correctly.
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That may be a problem then because I just sent him a wiring harness so he can complete his conversion from FI to Carb
  4. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Yes, I think the mounting flange is different between the two intake systems.
  5. randywaid

randywaid New Member

Can anybody tell me where the ignition module is on a 98 883 Sportster?
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yep the heads will bolt on...06 head castings use different flanges(only a few bux each)I put a set on my '03 cop king, picks up about 10% flow...manifold doesn't matter,carb or efi, whatever induction system you want to run...the space between the heads is the same... as long as it's TC 88 or 96.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  7. cowboy

Thanks lucifer I thought you said this earlier on , I knew it did't matter on carb or efi , what flanges did you have to use?
  8. JohnnyBiker

This should be on the left side, it is behind a kind of a rounded triangle cover that is by the backside of the seat. There should be three phillips screws that hold it on.
  9. Lucifer

06-up stock flanges...I can't find the part number right now...but if anyone has an '06 or later parts book it'll be in it. The number will end in -06.... xxxxx-06
  10. cowboy

thanks lucifer I get chuck tx to read his again for me , I picked up the heads today , there from a 06 softail , he did'nt say what model pt# 17192-06 & 17193-06 have less the 3500 miles on them the guy also threw in a set of jugs & pistons pt # 16593-99 said there 03 , about 1500 miles at the most on them , they look darn near new same as the heads got all for $100, even :cool::D
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

great deal......will look up the # and give you a call.........
  12. cowboy

great thanks , no real big hurry about a week or so or you can just send them via email :D
  13. JohnnyBiker

Hey Cowboy, just thought I would mention that HR did send the reciept with the harness in case you have any trouble.
  14. cowboy

OK great thanks to you both for all your help:cool:
  15. Lucifer

Were 88"er's still made in '06?? Heads and jugs would be fine but if the pistons are from a 96", they won't work in your 88"....a 96"er is a stroked 88" so the pistons would be off set for the longer stroke.

'06 intake flange part #-- 26993-06
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

that's a real steel of a deal cowboy, wish i could have found something like that, I just did a new top end on my 05, went to a 95, just finished breaking it in, runs real good. now i'm really looking for that 6th gear.
  18. cowboy

lucifer thanks for the PT# heads are 06 & jugs & pistons are 03
    harleysLR ,I would do the 95 in but wallet to thin right now :D
  19. Dew Rag

Dew Rag New Member

Cowboy, thanks for the insight into this area of the motor. I am doing the same on my 02 Road Glide stock twin cam. I am just getting the parts together right now. The parts for my Harley are coming off a totaled 01 cv carb model. I am also buying the top end too. I will need to store it for a while but when it is time I will have what I need to freshen up my 02. This is why it works for me to run my Harley stock. Used parts for old farts like me. :) Dew Rag Vancouver, WA. 02 Road Glide. Bottom feeding Harley owner with new cam chain tensioners and used stock cams. My motor is running quiet now. Good luck. Ride On and remember to recycle your low mileage used stock parts. It is cool to help keep things green in the Harley world.
  20. cowboy

dew rag thats what I 'am doing goingfrom efi to carb , but the old parts arent low millage have over 61 k On the 03 E glide , but will recycle them if possable:D