1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

TC top end

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Dec 8, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

What years do interchange on the twin cam engines , does it stay in the 88 in or does it also include the 96in ? I found a guy trying to sell a stock 96 & he says it will fit 99 to present , I have a 03 88in & was thinking it would be a fun Dresser(bagger for you younger riders) winter project
    OK he just said it's from a 07 FLHT hope the year helps figure it out
    Thank's
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ya talkin jugs,head,pistons?????
  3. chucktx

i can have ya an answer tomorrow.......................books in the shop....:)
  4. cowboy

Yep said he even had the stock cams everything excep the rocker covers , so do you thing it will just be a pulg & play deal?
  5. chucktx

not 100 percet sure......if the oil holes line up your probably in like flint.....got to check the books....:)
  6. cowboy

Ok thanks , I just sent him a email saying I needed to do some checking to make sure ,
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Not sure about the mounts on the touring models but you might need to get creative to fit into your frame. There was a frame change in 07.

Also, does the engine include the 6 speed tranny? I don't believe you can mate the 96" engine to the early style 5 speed.

Some parts on the 96" are carryovers from the 88". Both have identical jugs so you can take from either and bore them out for a big-bore build. 88's bored to 95 will make a 96" into a 103". The pistons however are different since what gives the 96 its increased inches is more stroke.
  8. cowboy

kenfused , it's just the complete top end , I'am going to call my locol indy here in a bit he's real good about this stuff
    Thank's
  9. duke76

duke76 New Member

Yes the 96 inch jugs and heads will work for the 88 inchers but you have to buy a new intake manifold flanges if you use the stuff for 96 inch on an 88. Todd
  10. duke76

duke76 New Member

The cams will not work
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

When you say top end you're saying Heads pistons and cyl.

Much of the 96 comes from the stroked flywheels so I'm not sure what you'd pick up size wise in doing that conversion.

JMO

The winter project.

Pull the heads and cyl.

Send them off to Bill at Bishop's Performance - Parts & Service for Harley Davidson, Buell, and other American V-Twins

Have bill bore the stock cyl which are seasoned and pop in some HD flat top 95 inch pistons.

At the same time have him do a stage 1 street clean up on the heads, put in new valve guides and seals, set the springs up properly.

When you get them back it will be a nice easy install and you have a 95 inch motor with ported heads.

For cams drop in woods TW-6 510 lift cams or Andrews tw37B's or SNS 570's if you want a bit more.

Change out the cam tensioners and cam.

Be a good project and you'd keep your stock parts and have better heads.
  12. duke76

duke76 New Member

adding the 96 jugs wont gain you any cubes but you can send them off to be bored so you would have 95 inch, HRK is correct the extra cubes comes from the flywheel, but they will physically bolt on, Todd
  13. cowboy

OK just talked to my indy guy & he says it wont fit he did not try to sell me anything but said he tried it & the case don't line up for the jugs , I will have to swap case's as well , he went along the same lines as HRK & said its a lot easyer to do a 95 in kit & do the heads to match for bettery flow
    Thank's to all who chimed in
  14. duke76

duke76 New Member

The jugs are identical from 96 to 88 I dont know why the holes would not line up doesnt make sense to me, Todd
  15. hotroadking

I haven't done the swap so I'm not sure why they wouldn't fit unless HD changed something in 07 other than the cams, cam plate and flywheels.

Basically the 96 comes from stroking the 88 (putting the 103 flywheels in the 88)

It's the exact same cyl as a 06 88.

Talk with Bill at Bishops his wife Amy answers the phone, bills very sharp and not overpriced. He did my SNS heads, some ElBruto Heads and several others that I know of.

You won't be disapointed.

If you have a local perf shop that can bore and do the heads great, be sure to get references. on them.
  16. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

hd change

I looked at my buddy's 07 lowrider and my 02 FXDG. There were apparent differences in the engines:D different "strokes" for different folks.JMO... Build the 95. My buddy's softail02 he built into a big bore is a ride all unto itself....Me... 93-"sleeper"-plan
  17. cowboy

I called a few more shops who I have trusted in the past one even in another state , & some guys who shop was taken out by ike still all kinds of different answers , One said it depends on the backbone of the frame :gah: I still have the jugs I got from kenfused might just go with a 95 in when the bike is ready , she only has about 56-57K on her & still run's like a champ , I'am not looking to build a Hot-rod bagger just a little more if I want it / need it :D
  18. cowboy

OK HRK I just got off the PH from Bill @ Bishops & he opened my eyes to a new kinda of way (got that last line from a song) :D I'am going to froget the 96in parts & save some money there & after the first ship my parts off to him & do just a basic 95 in Thanks for all the good info :cool:
  19. hotroadking

Good for you, Bills sharp, and very good at his work.

Amy is sharp as well knows a lot, drag races a sporty, check out the images and videos of them racing on his web page.

So whatcha gonna do or will I have to call Bill and find out LOL

If he bores your cyl have him drop in the pistons fit to the cyl for you so when you get them all you do is tap them down to expose the bottom so you can put in the pin and the locking clip. The only thing with doing it that way is you might need to drop out the front motor mount, it lowers the motor and gives you room to get the rear cyl over the studs.

Let me know if you do it and need to chat... I've done it a lot and can help you over the net...
  20. cowboy

Just going to do the basic 95in with stage 1 heads & have him set the pistons in the jugs for me , I;am a very tight buget right now still fighting with my insurence co over IKE had to pay a lot out of pocket for repairs to the place , & while we where at it we put a garage door in the shop 16X 40 in the process of becoming a decent shop , My kids got me the starter kit to powered coat,from eastman, have two different type welders already & a few hand tools :D Table is on the wish list so it will after the first of the year before I will tear it down , & Thank's for the offer I just might take you up on it