1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

TC88 - case capacities

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by evomike, Jan 13, 2008.

1. evomike

evomike New Member

What are the case capacities [oil, primary, tranny] on a '03 TC88 engine?
    Any negative or positive feedback/results on using Syn3 in the tranny and primary?
  2. dupontdon

dupontdon New Member

this will do it

3.5 quarts for motor.1.5 for trany.I been using it since 1000 change.Everyone I talk to at harley says its the stuff.Everyone else to.hope this helps
  3. duke76

duke76 New Member

I would check your manual 3.5 sounds about right for the engine, 1 quart for the primary(here is where I would check my manual as different bikes hold different amounts and if overfull could create a vibration)and the trans hold like 3/4 of a quart or about that much( I just fill it till it is to the correct level)
    I am assuming you are just asking this so you know how much oil to buy, just not to dump it in and not check it. Some people put 4 quarts in the engine but I would not recommend it as you will have more problems with sumping and you will use some oil. So buy 6 quarts and you will have a little left over. I dont care for syn3, it is totally up to you what kind of oil to put in your bike and Im sure it will work fine, I dont want to start another oil debate here but if I am going to pay 9 dollars plus for a quart of oil I am going to use Amsoil. Todd
  4. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

my 03 fxdx uses 2.5 quarts in the engine, 26 oz's in the primary, 20-24 oz's in the trans. i don't use the syn3, i use amsoil. if you want to debate the oil issue then read the threads on here about oil.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

get the manual....it will be the best spent money!!! my engine holds 4 quarts.....as you can see there is a big variance between engine/models. it will also give you info on how to check, some are on the jiffy stand, others are sitting level. manuals arnt real expensive.....60/70 or so......but the alternative of screwing up are a lot worse.....hope this helps!!:)
  6. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Ditto what Chuck says!!
  7. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

I started using the "SYN-3" oil also.I've done some research & have to agree with these guys as "AMSOIL" is far more superior per test results.The AMSOIL is also slightly less $$$ per qt.Hope my 1/4 cent helps:rolleyes: 00 wildglide:cool:
  8. evomike

evomike New Member

Manual

Haven't needed the manual until Sat when I went to changing my cases. Called a buddy and got the spec's but wanted to dbl check capacities since he's got a 103. My early evo, his 103 and my 88 are all the same. Will be getting a manual though - thanx

9. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Like ChuckTx replied, look at a manual for yer year bike. A manual is yer bible for yer bike. If you want to be real good. Start a log book on the bike and you can keep up with at what milage you changed yer oil and filter. Changed the transmission and primary fluid. Had the brakes checked. Checked the shoes on the cam. And what services and repairs you have done to your bike. This can be the best thing any mechanic or anybody could look at to see the history or your bike.
    It changes with the year. Correct me if I'm wrong. But this is also determined by the size oil pan thats on the bottom of yer motor and if you have a oil tank like a softail, and even in the softails the oil change is different in the different years.
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

what model bike fot your TC88 / My 03 E Glide takes 4 qt's oil 1 qt prime chain , can't remember off hand on the tran's Manual is out in the shop , & amsoil in all my bikes sense earley 70's when it came out
  11. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I'm with Chuck on the manual. My bike holds 4 quarts in the motor. 1 quart in the transmission and 38oz in the tranny.

I've seen somebody use the measurements that worked on a FLT on a softail and it was too much oil.
    So again I agree with Chuck, you can't beat a manual for yer year and type bike.
    If everything else fails call the dealer.