1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Thanks for the memories !-----UPDATE----

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Studds, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Studds

Studds Active Member

Well, I'm back on my feet and all I can think about now is--do I want another Softail or a Road King! All of you were right, it's in my blood. It's so strange how your thoughts change after the stitches are removed, the cast is off and the last of the scabs fall off. Damn, riding a bike is like running around with a bad woman----you know it's wrong, you know it could end any minute, but it feels so good you just can't help yourself.

Does anyone have any advice on which Road King engines to stay away from ?

Thanks again for all the good words you gave me after the accident.

Studds
  2. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Never heard it explained any better. Ha!!! Cool. Maybe 'cause I've always been attracted to "bad" wimmin and dangerous bikes. Got two friends on Road Kings, and they love em.
    Glad yer back!! Best of luck and enjoy huntin for yer new ride !!!
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Congrats on being back in the saddle!! I am glad that you are healing well. I am looking for another bike myself. I have had the chance to ride an Electra Glide and I really did like the ride. Road King should be the same, perhaps a little lighter because of the absence of the rear tour pak and the front fairing.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if your looking at used.........it is hard to beat an evo..........
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

What did they do so right with that engine?
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

of course a different perspective - Twin Cam

Evo is great engine but there are hundreds of thousands more TC's out there
    and thus you should be able to get a great deal on them.

None of the TC's are bad, early TC's had some cam bearing issues due to the
    type of bearing used on the rear cam, but other than that nothing major.

A good Road King with an 88 CUI engine will run 100K miles easy..
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I agree with the TC, I had a half dozen or so EVO's they are a good motor but the TC has been out for 12 years now and is pretty bullet proof just like the EVO. Road King is heavier than a softail and the 88 or 96 works well in them.
  8. hotroadking

Nice thing about a TC is you can buy an 88 which is stock, then either bore the cyl or pop on HD 95 inch cyl and pistons and you have a nice 95 cui engine, drop in a mild cam and you have a lot more TQ

Evo is 80 CUI and you really can't go larger without paying the machine shop...
    big bucks to increase the size.
  9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

There really are no engines to stay away from anymore, other than ones abused by the riders. There was a problem with some of the very first Twin Cams off the line in '99 (cam bolt), but it was resolved quickly.

I like the Road King over the Softail because the suspension is superior, but there are many things to like about both models.

And great that you are ready to ride again!

:cheers:
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Had a 99 Aztec Orange Roadking (first of the TC) and loved it. Have always wished I had it back. They had to fix the cam bearing but the bike ran great. So any of the early TC Roadkings to me would be good and sense there are so many around should be able to pick one up reasonably.
    Glad to see you back, and knew you would be itching for another bike, once its in the blood you just can't shake it.
  11. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Told you not to spend that insurance money!! Proven fact Harley riders live longer because of the stress relief :D

The truth is everybody has a roadking or an ultra these days -- best of both worlds is the eglide Classic!!:cool::cool:JMHO
    Chopped windshield - no lowers, still plenty of wind in your hair (if applicable) - quick detach on beer box - good bar hopper!!
    Throw luggage back on ,full windshield and your ready for long haul and overnighters.

Any TC will do - mild cam, lots of air (insert V-ductor commercial here):roflmao: and a tuning --your good to go!!
  12. chucktx

all this said........the t/c has two setups the A and the B the A will accept hp improvements the B not so much...........just sayin..........
  13. steveb

steveb Active Member

Depending on your likes or dislikes the E Glide Classic or Road king are pretty much the same bike. Fairing or windshield ,radio no radio otherwise I think they are very close for handling and riding. I gotta have my MP3 player hooked up for some tunes while riding. Nothing better than listening to "Freebird" while cruising down the road.
  14. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Glad you're looking at getting back in the saddle. I don't think you can go wrong with either a TC or an EVO..I've had both and the TC has worked better for me.
  15. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Try to stay away from the Magnelli Morelli Fuel Infection from 1987 thru 2001.
    Stick with carb or Delphi fuel injection 2001 and up.
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

studds welcome back to the real world , All good answers above ,The R King is a little heavier the the softail , both are good bike's it will depend on your riding style , just a cruser for town or A bike to take trips on & cruser around town :cool:
  17. hotroadking

Tell that to my 124 B :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  18. chucktx

maybe i should have said...inexpensively!!
  19. hotroadking

now that is a good statement.

BTW before it made the 124, it was a 117, and before that a 95 inch with Woods TW-6H, SE Heads, 10.5 pistons, thunderheader, Micky Rooney 45 and it was a monster then....

the key to the B is to keep RPM under 6000 max....