1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Thanks for the memories !

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Studds, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Studds

Studds Active Member

As bad as I hate to say it, it looks like I took my last ride Sat. May 29th., 2010 08:37 AM.
    It all started out with a beautiful Sat. morning to ride to work. I jumped on (Studds), my emaculate 2003 Heritage Softail Classic to ride the 13 miles from my home in Burleson, Tx. to Cleburne, Tx. I'll never forget what a great morning it was to ride, nice and cool-----perfect !
    I had just pulled in to Cleburne, south bound towards the court house, approaching a light that had just gone from green to yellow and began shifting down to stop beside a car in the left lane ( I was in the right lane} when all of a sudden without any sound of tires squealling or anything else my world began a sudden change for the worst.
    The next thing I remember was laying flat on my back thinking - what happened? I then heard someone yell out "he's driving off, someone stop him!",
    I then realized I was up on my knees trying to get up when someone told me I needed to stay down until the ambulance arrived. There was a lady that told me she was a nurse, a nice older gentleman that told me he was going to pray for me and several others that told me that they would be glad to tell the police everything they could remember about the sorry son of a bitch that ran me over from behind and left me laying in the middle of the intersection like a dog.
    They got me in the ambulance and began asking me all the usual questions, did you lose consiousness, where do you hurt most and why weren't you wearing a helmet? I did not have a helmet on but believe it or not the only contact my head made, from a 35-40 mph rear end collision by a 2004 Silverado Pickup, was a small abrasion below my right eye and on my nose.
    continued-----
  2. Studds

Studds Active Member

I had someone call my best friend to go by and tell my wife and meet me at the hospital.
    I was taken to JohnPeterSmith in Ft.Worth where I was run thru all the x-rays, scans, etc. I woke up in the recovery room to find that I had a broken ankle, leg, hand, several fractured vertebrae in my upper back and a 7-8 inch laceration in my right calf down to the bone. Also a super case of road rash !
    I got out of the hospital Mon. and got to go home to celebrate our upcoming 33rd Anniversary June 8.
    That is why I have decided to discontinue the only thing I (and my wife) really loved to do. If she had been sitting behind me there is no way she could have lived through it.
    I hate to sound like a big ole' *****, but at 62 It takes so much longer to heal.
    I found this site right after I got my bike ( 3 yrs. ago last Christmas ) and have reallly enjoyed all of the great stories that I've read.

Thanks for the memories !

Studds
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wow, very sorry to hear this......prayers and thoughts to you and your family......just because ya not riddin, dont mean you cant hang around!!!!! heal fast!!!!!!
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Hang around studds, you always could change your mind. Lady friend of mine went down and was in far worse condition. She survived, took two years to get back to work but she is also back on her own bike. She was in intensive care for 6 months and I'm sure the same thought had crossed her mind but she is back in the saddle and enjoying life.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

holy **** , studds thats just wrong on that other drivers part hope the cought him & nail his backside to the wall , stick around here & heal right , you & your family are in our prayers
  6. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Stay with us Studds - wheter you ever ride or not your a member of one of the greatest fartenitys in the world - BIKERS - I have been in your shoes and didn't ride for a long time but if bikes are in your blood you will go back to them someday. I got my ride after a long haitus off of harleys had to wait for retirement before I got my geezer glide - pushin 70 now and won't ever stop ridin.;)
    Heal fast and God bless you and yours.:)
  7. quietone

quietone Active Member

Sorry to hear this happened to you but you will be amazed how you can heal from this. Got rearended once doing fifty in a road rage deal, ended up with alot of road rash on left side, bad shoulder and blind in left eye for four months but that came back. Point being is that I still ride. Can't blame yourself just for being there at the wrong time. Riding is just something that gets in your system and can't really explain what it's all about. So just get healthy and follow your heart, ya might suprise yourself...
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

So sorry that you had to suffer from some jackass. :witsend: Totally sucks.

Many of us here know what it is like to get slammed and have to go through that healing period. And, yep, it is hellish the older you get, but it is what it is. Don't be surprised, though, if you find yourself dreaming of riding again and wanting to get back in the saddle..and know that there ain't nothing wrong with changing your mind.

At 62, you still have years to think about it. My father re-started riding in his seventies, and though we both know he is likely to die on the road - as any of us may - he is living on it now. So take your enforced break, then take your own time, but you don't need to commit to saying "never again" to doing something you've loved. Living long don't mean jack if you aren't living well.

Right now, just get through it and get well.
    :cheers:
  9. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Very sorry to hear this Studds, like everyone says stick around heal up and go with what your heart tells you. We can't always listen to the so called common sense coming from ours brains. I'm 42 and it's just me but I wouldn't trade my riding to live to 100! The bike is probably a right off, but keep that insurance money put aside for awhile anyways ;)
  10. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Thanks for letting us know. Every crash is a different situation and the more we learn about them the better all of us are going to be.

We all need to stay aware of our surroundings - all the time.

I hope you heal fast. Do what you think is best for you. I hope you can find another passion - I'm sure you will.

Let us know.
  11. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

So sorry to hear about this Studds. Hope your recovery is speedy. Just know that you always have a place here to shoot the breeze with friends, bike or not.
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Sorry to hear about your wreck. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  13. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That is a real bummer! I hope that you heal quickly. As far as retiring, I am sure that you think that through. It is strange how these 2 wheeled dreams becomes a part of you. About 2 weeks before I bought my first bike, I had a cousin that was killed in a motorcycle accident. Can't help it, I have to do it. Please keep posting regardless.