1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The 750 Street: A Test Ride Review

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 20, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

This review is based on a very short test ride with very little knowledge about the bike and the engine.

As I was at Wild Prairie yesterday with my dad in his quest for a bike, I decided that I was going to ride along with him. I noticed right when we got there that they had both a 500 and 750 Street. I told the salesman that I wanted to take the 750.

My first impressions of both bikes is that they are a nicely refined bike, sleek and is noticeably an HD. The fenders and tank has Harleys thumbprint holding pretty true to their styling ques. The engine is blacked out and as expected, is a mini V Rod engine. The engine is tucked nicely in the frame.

Now the weird part was to see the radiator in the front but I have to admit that they did a good job with it. The radiator isn't too big. It fits nicely in the frame rails and actually is hard to notice if you aren't looking for it.

The seat for such a small bike was plenty big but not too big that it disrupts the flow of the lines.

For start up, you will find the ignition in conspicuously tucked under the speedometer. The start button and kill switch are to the right. Nothing is marked as on/off but it is clear what us for what, and again, all blacked out. One thing that I was very disappointed in is that for this bike HD decided to go with Japanese style turn signals. You have to cancel them yourself. I assume the did this to not clutter the bars. I don't like them at all.

Upon start up, one thing that just doesn't change between any liquid cooled bike is that it is cold blooded. I don't care for that so much but it did not take long and it was ready to roll.

Well now I am ready to roll. My dad by my side, we left the dealer heading west on U.S. 212. The turn signal indicators are in the speedo again focusing on sleek design. The indicators are a little small but still very noticeable. The bike accelerated nicely with ease of shifting. I think and this is just a personal thing but I think that the grips could be a tad thicker. Just a preference.

I did not get on this bike as the odometer only had 4 miles on it so I was the first test rider of this particular bike. I did bring it through the gears fast but not hard and the ratio are set nuce. I like these ratios much better than my Suzuki.

The things that I didn't like are few but somewhat major for me. This bike has mid controls which are fine but they are out too far. I suspect that is to accommodate the rather large single pipe that comes out on the right side.
  2. JohnnyBiker

Not only that, I think that the have the geometry off just a tad with the brake pedal in relation to the peg. It is a tad too high. Move that down say .125" and good as gold. I also think that they could have moved the mid controls inboard some as well, but more on that next.

Now, I did not like the pipe. I think that it is too big overall for the styling of the bike. It puts out a lot heat which I was surprised with. Also I think that because of that pipe, HD was forced to move the mid controls out a tad bit too far. I am in no way saying that one couldn't or wouldn't get used to that but I felt the heat from that pipe more than the heat from my FLTR.

Other small ques from the bike is that I like the small turn signals. They are an amber LED along with perfectly sized LED brake and running light. I like that goofy thing mounted over the headlamp. It breaks just enough wind to keep you from feeling like you were being pushed back off of the bike.

There was plenty of braking ability and the wheels and tire sizes are perfect. This bike dies have the stance of HARLEY DAVIDSON!

All in all I give this bike an A- considering what it is intended for.

Priced at just under $7500, this bike has great potential to make a huge splash in its intended market.

I would buy one of these.

Thanks for reading.
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Nice report !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  4. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I saw the 750 in our HD and they wanted $9,250.00.
    I rode with a guy yesterday with a brand new Yami Bolt. This thing was sweet looking, all blacked out and he said he only spent $8,200. I think it as a 950 cc. He had some V&h shortys on it and it sounded awesome. I didn't ride it tho. More importantly - NO RADIATOR!
  5. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Nice review, Canadian mag I subscribe to just reviewed the 750, has pretty much same opinion on the ergonomics as you, they also had issues with exposed wiring harness routing and a shock boot that fell like an old gym sock during their ride.
    If I was in the market as a new bike rider, I'd likely have to go and try the Yamaha Bolt before I signed up for the 750, but then a gently used fuel injected Sporty can be had for the Bolt's price, so what the heck is a guy supposed to do?
    Getting off track a bit...
    Nice review, I look forward to a chance to try one. Has to have more balls than a 750 Shadow, right?...
  6. JohnnyBiker

Thanks. Sorry about the late reply. I have been without a phone for a bit. This bike really does have a chance to make it if people can give an honest chance.JMO
  7. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review.

But Its water cooled and too small of a bike.
    Whatever I get I need to be able to run 75-80 all day if I get on the interstate.
    Where I live the speed limit it 75mph. And no cars runs that slow.
    And to get from certain Farm roads you need to hit the interstate and ride hard.
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That bike was never intended for Interstate use, its a small running around bike, or commuting bike.
    I sat on one today, didn't like it. Gonna buy a small bike a Softail would be a better choice for me.
  9. JohnnyBiker

This bike wasn't intended for sustained Interstate riding. It would do it for short spurts but that is it. No malice intended but it also isn't intended for the older rider.
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Why spend that kind of money on a bike that small.
    Why not buy something like a FatBob so you got a bigger motor. and can do whatever kind of riding you want.

Money not well spent to me buying something like that.
    Guess is you got a Kid you want to spend that kind of money on O.K.
    But for a kid learning a Japanese bike would be a better choice.
    They will out grow it pretty fast.
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My point exactly
  12. Roadster guy

For the price of a FatBob up here I could get two, maybe three 750s. Not everybody has a big boy bike budget nor do some want to spend so much. This new entry in the line up is for these people. And those in other countries where a good interstate system is only a dream.
    I agree with you, I'd likely recommend a cheap, disposable off shore bike for a new rider to get a feel for things before throwing some money to H-D.
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I think that's the point, HD wants to get younger riders into the HD fold with affordable bikes, the competition bikes at this level have many of the same features, 750cc, radiators, non cancelling signals, it's a basic entry level bike.

HD needs to bring younger buyers into the HD fold instead of hoping
    they will choose to change brands mid stream when they buy a nip bike first.

They get a brand new bike, with lower financing rates, a warranty and service vs buying a used bike.
  14. Roadster guy

Marketing, marketing, marketing.... Build the big dream bikes to lure them, have the entry level bikes to sell them. Any CVO 750s on the drawing boards yet?