1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The Best Way To Brake In A New Top End

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gumby321, Oct 5, 2006.

1. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    As some of you know I am in the middle of rebuilding my top end. I already know there are going to be many differant ideas on this subject. I tend to ask those kinds of questions. Now I first want to say how I have done it in the past. Then I would love to hear how others have done it.
    I didn't have any problems with my way of doing it. That still doesen't mean I did it the correct way.
    For the first 500 miles and smiles I try and hit the freeways as much as possable. I start off doing my street riding anywhere from 35 to 45 mph.
    Then I am on the freeway doing 65 mph and coming down from there. My main objective is to make the most movement against the walls of the cylinders.
    Since the barrels have been honed and I went 5 over on the rings. Now I might even get up past 65 mph for a few seconds here and there. Then coming back down. That is what I will be doing for the first few days.
    So now my brothers and sisters. Please let me have what YOU have done. If you think I am doing this right, I would like to hear that also. So please don't hold back. GUMBY PEACE:eek:
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

When I went to the 95 inch kit on the motor..new slugs and jugs. I rode the bike around town, up and down through the gears, nothing below 2000 and nothing above 3500 for the first 150 miles. I would run the bike for an hour and then let it cool off.....I used synthetic for it as well..[was using it before so just stuck with it] After the first 150 miles I pretty much rode it like I normally do..I don't go below two grand and don't really go much over four thou, I still did the heat cycle thing though. knock on wood but the bike runs well and although I don't rev the snot out of it it gets long days in hot hot weather two up pulling a trailer..this bike has to be able to do that and right now it is doing it no fuss no muss...I remember my 89 inch dyna did a better job of pulling the trailer power wise but this twin cam has been good.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JMO its more about RPM and time at RPM vs speed.

You could do 60 mph in 3rd gear and the RPM's will be way up there

Ride it around under 3K for 100 miles not so much as break in but to see that everything was assembled correctly, get a piston ring in wrong, valve setup wrong, whatever it might be, better to find it at a low rpm not cranking out at any rpm

Vary the RPM's (speed) 50 mph, 65, 55, to vary the rate things are moving

change the oil and filter by 500 miles max. (Go to Synthetic LOL had to say that :p )
  4. duke76

duke76 New Member

I have never overhauled a motorcycle engine but I have overhauled dozens of tractor engines, gas and diesel. I was always told to never lug a new engine, it is better to drop down a gear and rev higher, also before you really start making the engine work make sure it is good and warmed up. Your new top end is probably very tight tolerances and if you start pulling the engine hard before it is warmed up the pistons could expand faster than the jug and could score. Also keep an eye on your oil level as it will probably use some oil until it is broken in. Other than that just drive it.
  5. dutch

dutch New Member

rebuild

Gumby, I don't know how many miles or how the bike has been ridden but I would suggest you measure the small ends for wear. Also if motor has over fifty thou on it I would not go to high on compression unless you rebuild the bottom end check cam and related parts. Be sure to rebuild heads,at least check guides replace springs and seals. Then ride it like you stole it. Dutch
  6. duke76

duke76 New Member

Another thing I thought of is you might want to turn the idle up to about 1000 at first to make sure everything gets plenty of oil, after everything gets broken in it will probably gain a couple of hundred rpms anyway I leave my idle set at 1000, I know it doesn't sound as good but if it is better for your engine what the heck.
  7. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

Cam & rings break in

The biggest thing you want to do is not let it lug keep the RPMS up a little bit .Breaking in the cam is very important to when you first start your motor and when you see nothing is leaking and every sounds good keep the rpms up about 2000 for a few Min's and let off for a min do not let it idle at a low rpm.Then do it again at 2000 rpms for a min or two. then look things over and go out and ride it don't be afraid to twist the wick a little it ain't going to hurt it. after a 100 miles Ride it like you always have. But for the first 100 mile keep your eyes and your ears open . Just don't get it hotter then normal. a lot of guys like the sound of there bike sitting there lugging away at a idle but that is bad for a Harley. This is up to you but I aways change my oil and filer after the first 100 to 150 miles but thats just me. Then I change it about 1,000 to 1,500 miles from there on out again thats just me. But I have always had good luck and never had any thing major happen to my motors in 31 years never a rod knock. ''NOTE'' I don't let my motors lug at low RPMS and I change my oil every 1,000 to 1,500 miles Rev-Tech is good oil
  8. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Duke

I know what you mean about starving the engine of oil just for a sound. You always have to remember this that there are some that ride to look cool and sound cool. Then there are those of us who love our bikes and would not starve the engine of oil just to sound cool.
    I ride my FXR with bags and a shield. I feel they take nothing away from the looks of my bike. To each their own though. GUMBY PEACE
  9. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

het duke

I always keep it around that area.
  10. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Thats alot of oil changeing

If I was to ride the way I rode when living in calif. I would be changeing my oil every 2 weeks. I don't think that I will be riding as much living in Vegas now. Not to many places to ride too here. It is pretty much flat land without any nice rustic woods with twisty turns to run my FXR through it's paces.
    Thanks GUMBY PEACE
  11. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Bottom End Will Not Be Touched

I have 30 grand on the bike. It ran real strong and hard before all this smoke started to poor out of my pipes. I had 90 lbs in each cylider. If it ran as strong and hard with 90lbs in both, I can't wait to see how she will run with around 135lbs in each. Or somewhere near that number. GUMBY PEACE
  12. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Dutch

I Just Read Your E Mail On The Brake In. Thats About The Way I Do It. I Always Want To Check How Others Handle Things. Thanks.....gumby Peace