1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

the blues

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by baggerpaul, Mar 29, 2015.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Well been stuck in the house since Thursday. Had serious oral surgery and it sucks so .today I was feeling better and decided to go take a ride . Well that did not work out well got 20 miles from the house bike goes into limp mode .pull over check for codes 1511 2135 the tbody codes check for loose connection none unplug the throttle body. Reconnect it clear codes all good 20 feet I'm in limp again same codes ok being a wrench I know dam well tps is good . Let it cool for about an hour starts up runs perfect till I get 3 feet from the shed back to the same shit limp mode again .same codes needs a throttle body. Let it cool runs perfect. Well hope the dealer does not just put a tps in it send me down the road to get stranded again .hopefully they test ride it for a while after the repair hate the dealer but I'll be damedif I'll pay for it while it's under warranty.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I hope it works out fer ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

me too, and to heal after the surgery as well
  4. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

Hope all goes well from the surgery, I see issues on high milage automotive applecations with build up from crankcase venting into inlet causing throttle blade to bind slightly opening or closing causing the same thing. Or is it suspected that the design on a Harley leaves a little to desire?
  5. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

That sux. Tooth ache to bike problems. The new computer stuff seems overwhelming. I don't understand it. Cool you knew about doing code and stuff. Hate it that your new RG is being a PITA. bring it back to the dealers and if necessary make the drive to another one. I took my 2012 to 3 different dealers, each worse then the other,lol. One service managers solution was just to live with it. What an ahole...wow.

Got rid of the bike. Wasn't happy about doing that. Very happy so far with the 2015 but only have 1200-1500 miles on it so far.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Are Ya sure you weren't crapping out every 20 min from the drugs wearing off lol

So it's heat related could be the epoxy has let go

Or you let the smoke out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. baggerpaul

thanks guys for the get well wishes. Twist grip sensor it has a nice graph from bottom to top with no drop outs when rolling on throttle had it on the scope already. Throttle body Is just like a car .has 2 tps inside 1 goes from high to low and the other go from low to high they must always match and be correlated at all times with the twist grip sensor if not it will go into limp mode so as not to kill ya. As the throttle body gets hot the two in the tbody do not correlate. I back probe the wires at the throttle body. Just to make sure I was correct. My inputed value does not match the out put .ecm sets a code shuts the bike down to emergency throttle to get ya home once you shut it down it will not restart because the throttle blade default position is completely closed due to a super heavy spring .once it cools and the throttle body does a self test and it opens a bit fires right up runs perfect. Should have taken pictures of the 3 channels of the lab scope hooked up .did not want to bore ya looking at the lines on a screen lmfao .and was kinda pissed off anyway.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your ride brother. Get back on the road soon.
  9. baggerpaul

Bike only has 18.778 miles on it has been probably free other than the neck bearings needed to be snuged up and the front rotors that were out of round when I bought it they took care of that with no issues .I have a kid on the inside that seems to be a good wrench I work on his car .but he is not a drivability tech .there is a big difference between a good wrench or a drivability technician.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  10. baggerpaul

Thanks bud but I wish they left the cable throttles on harley bikes. I know it's the way of the moco cleaning up the handle bar area and less components needed for cruise and better drivability. But it is very delicate to have in a super hot area with a lot of vibes also.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  11. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

This kind of issue is the BIGGEST reason why I hesitate on a newer bike.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  12. baggerpaul

One thing that sucks for sure is that no one knows I guess that the ecm is designed by Delphi but guess who makes the electronic throttle body's. Yep that's correct. Magnetti Marellie. Grrr.#$/*& they just don't learn do they
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  13. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

So one of the TPS sensors on the throttle body was shorted internally? Does the H-D system use two, one as backup to read the actual, and the same at the twist grip, two sensors again, with about a .5V range difference?
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Same here...Well,that and the money...:rolleyes:

Hope you heal up real quick BP...

At least you have the knowledge and equipment to find and fix the problems that come up on these new technology vehicles....Hope the dealer does too;)
    Betcha for a little while you forgot about the pain in the mouth...lol