1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The Book

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

If you feel like doing a little reading, I've put the first five chapters on a publisher's website where they'll hopefully find it and love it. :D

I'd like to know what you think. Does it make you want to read more? Is it easy to read? Is the format OK?

Shovelhead Redemption
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Looking forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Abby - read the first 5 chapters and think it's great keep up the good work - maybe it will inspire some more people to grab some freedom.:D
  4. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

thanks! You made it through all five chapters. That's a good sign. :roflmao:
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Read it all. You're off to a good start. On a basic level I found it interesting and had no problem wanting to read the whole offering at one sitting (which I easily did).

Structurally, I see many things that I like and can connect with in the way you are putting the vignettes together. There is a disunity in the conglomeration that I hope you see, too, and that can be addressed to MY satisfaction with some effort, but not too herculean. But it is YOUR baby, so know that my critique is is only professed because you asked us to tell you what we thought.

I'll make a final suggestion of an idea that sprung from reading your work,and that I hope you can see as useful: I think you should construct this book as you would construct a quilt. By that, I mean you should stick the disparate stories on the background fabric of your self-definition (since it is autobiographical). If you define yourself as a biker chick, then you can make it an asphalt-bordered quilt with colorful swatches of experiences along it. Personally, I think you may need a little more bordering (which I've seen you use on your quilts) that keeps it all together. To some significant degree you are already doing that, just not to MY (as in, feel-free-to-friggin'-ignore-because-I-ain't-YOU-and-no-offense-intended!) complete satisfaction.

If you want any more opinion, or just want to tell me to SHUT UP, you know ya got my number....and even know where I live! Uh-oh!:roflmao:

:cheers:
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

me and my peanut sized brain like it!!!
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Chuck, I'm not sure if that was a compliment. :roflmao:

Red, that's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. I've tried to make the stories more like the stories I write on my blog or for Examiner, but sometimes they slip into a monologue. I want to separate the stories from the general narrative I have in places.

Would it be better or easier to follow if I had a set pattern for each chapter? Like story, blog, narrative?
  8. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

I really enjoyed it, waiting for the rest of the story as the saying goes. Keep it up.:)
  9. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Interleave the stories as a trip thru life - and the road is there to follow for those of us who have been there and done that. :)
  10. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Here is my suggestion that I think merits consideration:

First, write all the pieces of your life stories (or even ones that you've heard and are worth repeating, with your own opinion/observation thrown in). Get a whole bunch down in their seperate blocks. Some from your blogging days batch may need a little more flesh - just IMHO.

After you've got a very substantial body of work saved (which you may already have, but it would be better to have too much material to start with than too little), get another (but maybe more leisurely) multi-day trip planned. Bring your pieces with you, of course. Then get out on the road and ride, with those seperate pieces all familiar and rolling through your brain as you roll down the roadway. Use that asphalt road as your border, letting the stories come back as the road inspires you and reignites the memories. Let your narrative of the current trip, which you would detail in fresh writing, border flashbacks to those past stories. That way they don't have to be perfectly pertainent to your current trip, other than they came to mind (and ordered presentation in your manuscript) while you were riding. Their connection would be authentic that way, no matter how irrelevent they might be to that cumulative trip. I think your sense of authenticity would be pleased doing it that way, and it would connect well with all other riders that have memories flood upon them as they head out (those that aren't blaring Steppenwolf or some such, or talking on their Bluetooth the whole frickin' ride). You could Chapter by memories brought on by different weather experiences, smells, sights, or even your emotions brought on by that day. You could even write off the trip as a business expense, if that helps, as you are a professional writer.

If you need a destination, you could come here. I'd be more than happy to help you with it, and FOR THE RECORD have no desire for any share of the glory. In fact, I'd decline being properly named in anything you produce. And as a happily married, truly retired guy you could rest assured that your writing accomplishment would be my sole focus.

On second thought, I wouldn't turn down a long cool drink (or a hot one, depending on weather), or even a couch for an overnight flop the next time I ride through your country, - it is close to many of my current routes!

Feel free to PM or call me if you'd like.
    :cheers:
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I read all 5 today & have to agree with red & yourself ,It would be easyer to follow , for me anyway (i do have some brain damage from a stroke) I did how ever enjoy reading it , & I do have to say you came through realy well , In the past I did run sometimes with a few 1% & I had to move on with my life cause I did'nt want theres
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Cowboy - there but for the Grace of God go I...

Red - thanks for the offer. Lots of stuff going on right now and need to pay the bills. A lot of the thoughts do come from the road. I got a lot of that work done when I took a week and went up into the mountains near alex the dog's neck of the woods. Being out of town and on the road does help. It always helps. If I could just get someone to pay me to be on the road full time and writing, that's what I would do.
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I like it and find it very interesting, I expect a personally autographed copy when it is finished.
    Have you ever read any of Sonny Bargers books? All though he had help writting them. They are entertaining to read. Just as your's is and will be.
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Abby I say that right back to you , As if not for God I don't think I would be here now , I don't do church have'nt found a need to go ,But do belive & have read his book a few time's I'am still the same person I was back then ,but just pointed my front wheel in another direction & went for it & found I left a lot of trouble behind me & I never looked back to see what I was missing, for my life was ahead me , I was'nt looking for a lady way back then ,but had one find me & that was 38 years ago come March 19 :D
  15. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

read what ya had, very good ifn my opinion of good written was worth a spitoon full. will be waiting for the rest.