1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The down side

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by ironhorse, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

Once again I am reminded of the down side of traveling for a living, -32 wind chill and snow at the house, I sit in Oxnard, look out at that big puddle of water and try to convience my wife that sandy beaches and 75 degree weather ain't all it's cracked up to be. 2. I leave sub zero temps for them sandy beaches and warm weather and can't even ride ( well I can ride, just can't ride). 3. I have to return to the sub zero temps, and have to stare at my scoot.....and can't ride:banghead::rant::angry:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hehehehehehe!!
  3. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Solution: Pack it up and take it with you or Check out a rental when ya get there - Heck even a moped will get yer face in the breeze and since your not at home ; nobody will know what you were ridin, so you won't have the embarrassment.:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I would love to drag it out, can't bring myself to rent, and just had rotator cuff surgery last month so like today I just got to gauk and cry...lot of scoots runnung around ventura today
  5. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Where are the sandy beach's that its warm, Cancun?
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

FWIW for years I kept saying I wasn't gonna rent when I was on the road
    and I passed up tons of Opportunities to ride in great areas.

Finally did it in San Diego stayed over a day more, it was great and worth the extra $150 as I'd probably not get back for a long time to ride in SoCal...
  7. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

Been sitting in the garage staring at 2 bikes long enough. Booked a fly and ride to Phoenix for a week starting Feb.4.:D
  8. cardboard

I'm suppose to go to Phoenix to see one of my brother-in-laws in Oct.
    Gonna rent a bike and the Ol and me are gonna ride with him and his girlfriend to The Grand Canyon, then ride threw the Sedona national forest .

You can go to Tuson to the Cowboy town while yer there if you have time.:rant:
  9. ultra200922

Renting a bike at Chester's in Mesa,through HOG will let you know it works out. So far everything was easy to set up, and they pick us up at airport when we arrive. Wish I could go in Oct. should be a great time, I'd like to see the canyon myself.
  10. cardboard

11. cardboard

Tour or visit Tomestone. Home of the OK Coral and Earp Brothers.

And the Old Tuson where hundred of classic cowboy movies has been filmed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tucson_Studios

Historic Bisbee eith the Lavender Pit and the Cooper Queen Mines.

602-923-6696

Yer own yer own man. I haven't been to any of this.

Bisbee Chamber of Commerce - Home

I'm going to the Grand Canyon and Sedona.

Yahoo! Image Search Results for the grand canyon

Sedona Arizona | Sedona AZ | Sedona

My OL brother in Phoenix rides and is gonna take us on the trip.
    Her other brother John in Tuson is sayin to let him know, he will come up and go with us.

I really hope we git to make it this year.:D
  12. ultra200922

Cool sites , the OL has been looking up tons of places -try to get to as many as possible. Let ya know which are the best when we get back. Renting through HOG is $100 a day for a 2010 EL classic which is not to bad. You should be able to make it this year you won't have your appendix slowin ya down.:roflmao:
  13. cardboard

My OL is payin for the bike rental. Her brother is going to pick em up.
    I want to rent a Ultra Classic. Screw the price. I want the Ultra. I will pay the difference.
    I will be riding for a couple days.
    Steve her brother has been riding the place for years so I got a guide.
    And if her bother John comes too, he has flown Jets all over the place and airplanes for years.

Just got off the phone with the OL and asked her about it.
    She said she needs a couple more weeks and she's gonna call Steve and talk to him about it again.

In the spring and in the fall is a good time to ride in southern Arizona cause it won't be over 115* there. I've heard about 122* in the hot summer.
  14. ultra200922

Got a ultra at home, gonna rough it for a week just to see how much difference there is. Any riding is good riding, see new sites eat different food:D
  15. cardboard

I really like the Lowers man.

Got them on my FLHT.:D
  16. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I've done a few fly and rides, all from New Hampshire. One year I went to Florida, picked up a bike in Venice (my mother lived there), and rode to Key West and back really quickly. I got to the see the sunset and had dinner at Hog's Breath, then ride back across the Keys with a full moon. It was really nice. Quick, but nice.

The next year I went to New Orleans. The weather wasn't great. Nobody was riding much there, but it was definitely warm enough for a New England person. I was hoping to see the Mississippi, but all I saw were a lot of huge factories, the levees, and poverty like I never imagined. It was nice to get to ride in the middle of winter, but it wasn't a great ride.

After that I went with an ex to Las Vegas in February. It was during a rainy year, and I was surprised to find that their idea of drainage was, well there isn't any. We had to turn back in places because of rivers rushing down roads. Still, it was totally worth it.

Here we don't get to ride a lot in the winter, especially this year, but it's enough to keep me from going crazy.
  17. cardboard

Stays pretty warn in McAllen, Tx, in the winter.
    But you got to realize what the desert looks like when its on the Prarie.
    But yer real close to South Padre Island too.
    All the spring breakers goes there.
    A lot of snowbirds goes down there.
    And they got Harley Dealerships.