1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The End of Red Rider?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Red Rider, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

For the unaware, I go by Red Rider because I ride Ol' Red, my '99 Road King, and have been for the past 20 years. However, I am now shopping for a new, Milwaukee 8 powered Harley - probably a Road King or Road King Special, but not firm decided yet. The thing is, the new red colors just ain't doing it for me. In fact, I like almost any stock color scheme better than the available reds, and I sure ain't paying $6,000 for paint.

I've done enough reading up on the Milwaukee 8 engine the last few days that I've developed a twitch in my left eye, so I now know all about the early issues with the engine, tranny, and sensor issues. Everything points to that all being resolved now. What I am curious about is if anyone runs there M8 bike stock, or Stage 1, 2, 3 or 4, and how they like it that way.

I doubt I could stay with the quiet stock pipes, but am only thinking about some better slip-ons and improved breather right now. Would like to hear from someone who has a modified M8, and what they liked or didn't about the mods.

Snow on the ground, again, so not buying today!
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll regret getting an M8 from what heard. Especially a 2019 having the problems of past years M8's. Jealous.

Last couple year i couldn't help noticing factory colors haven't heen much to write home about. No colors popped for me. Can't go wrong with black though.

Wife retiring in August. Opens up a whole new opportunity for riding now. Pretty excited. Might could get out your way soon.

Good luck and happy hunting on your new purchase. Keep us posted and picturs!
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. Red Rider

Hey, BI, you're welcome here to visit in The Great Wide Open! I owe you & your lady at least a good meal, but can put ya up with a room if you need a rest stop.

Yeah, the color thing is really strange. Right now, black or white beats the other options, at least to my taste. And yeah, I've read plenty (hundreds maybe) of testimonials about how great the M8 is, now that the bugs have been worked out. Seems it wasn't a design problem, but a bad choice of parts suppliers. I guess H-D was a little too cheap in getting their parts, at least initially.

When I pull the trigger, sure enough I'll post a pic or 2.
  4. badinfluence63

RR, I am so excited. For the past 17 years because of crappy work schedules riding time has been despicable. Now with wife retiring in August the skies the limit. She'll work Saturdays but take one saturday day off, "boom" she's off 2 weeks. Plus my days off.

What the name of your town and state? Want to start calculating miliage routes etc...
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. badinfluence63

Churchhill county,NV I see.
    Red Rider likes this.
  6. badinfluence63

Shit you're almost in california..2800+- from here,lol.
  7. Red Rider

Hey, I hit your place on the way back from Maine, so it ain't that far.;)
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  8. badinfluence63

Lololol...indeed,lol.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The new colors are ok, the standard RK is a two tone red, so you could be Red Ryder part Deux, The 107 is a nice engine, plenty of TQ, better frame, better brakes, better lights, it's going to be a significant improvement over your current RK simply because of all the upgrades that have gone into the bike over the years.

You will be amazed at how much better the new bike performs.

That being said, that red and black RK special isn't bad looking the two
    colors together work well, and you'd get the 114 M8, something you'd really enjoy.

Stage 2 or 3 really adds power, but the base M8 is significantly above the old Twin cam already. I'd ride it a bit and see if it works for you, and there are tons of slip ons for the M8 bikes.
  10. hotroadking

RK Special Red Flash Edition

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  11. hotroadking

2019 RK Red Ryder Edition

[​IMG]
    Red Rider likes this.
  12. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

What's not to love ?
  13. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

About 12 guys in my club are riding the M8's including the brand new ones. None are close too since I'm one of the paupers in the club (probably my last year in it due to my station with them, they are a close group of married couples and my wife can't ride). There are a couple of the CVO's too. From what I've seen they love them. Most of them ride more than 15,000 miles a year. The only thing is that they trade in about every 2-3 years so there isn't any long term info available to me.
    Red Rider likes this.
  14. Red Rider

Heritage thumbnail.jpg OK, I bought one, a Heritage 114...and it is red! Left it in Reno to add crash bars and change grips, will ride it back if the snow clears today...which it may not, as it (despite forecast differently) is snowing now. Crap.
  15. badinfluence63

Ooooooooooo. Ahhhhhhhhhh nice. Looks like the CVO? Really like the black front end. 114 oooo ahhhhh.

How did you manage to get a 114 in a heritage?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  16. Red Rider

They just call this one a Heritage Classic Special, not a CVO. Frankly, it was the best looking bike without a fairing, so I chose it. Didn't hurt that it was $5K less than the black Road King Special. Rides sweet, can't believe how the mirrors don't vibrate at all. I'll likely change the bars to non-HD, and the seat, but it is good to go as is.
  17. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

SHWEEET ! Lot's of luck with it.
  18. badinfluence63

What year is it because i didn't see a heritage special in 2018 or 2019.
  19. Red Rider

2019 FLHCS is what it is, don't know about where you need to look to find it, but it is what it is. Rides like a dream and more than quick enough. Amazingly smooth. Would like a little more pipe noise, but it has such a deep rumble that ya feel more than hear, so no hurry to mess with it.
    Riding in 35 - 40 degree weather for over an hour, I really appreciated the hand warmers - actually had to turn 'em down. Way better than plugging in my heated gloves.
    I like the saddlebags better than the hard ones on FLHRs. Easier to get into and to lock, and space is close to the same.
    Got the "mustache" engine guards (crash bars) and they work fine. The windshield was a surprise, as it is already cut down perfect, just like I did to my King's, so I can look over it, rather than through it - yet it blocks wind great. $24.5K out the door, with accessories and all the tax & other fees included. Not cheap, but with zero down at 0.99% interest, I ain't complaining. Don't know if that is a good deal or not, but it is the deal I went for (and it was down almost $4K from asking).
    I plan for it to be the last Harley I'll ever buy. Had the last one for 20 years (still have it, actually), figure this will take me to the end of my last ride.
  20. badinfluence63

Sounds great to me. What you got against a fairing,lol.

Looking at the moco web site it doesn't show a heritage classic special in the softail category.

I was surprised about the windshield height on my 2015 ultra low... It was perfect as is. I usually had to shorten it too.

Great rate and price! I got 3.25 hd financing,no money down, 2500$ more than my kelly blue book for my bike was and thought that was great. .99 and zero down!!! Who does that. It was a trick,same like mine. They make an offer you cannot refuse,lol. I had just gone up to look at it, to see what the factory low was like. Next i'm riding it home,lol. My last bike too.

Congratulations. Great looking and performing bike. You gonna add tuneage?
    Red Rider likes this.