1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The future of Bike-Talk

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by kenfuzed, Feb 4, 2022.

1. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi everyone, I wanted to post about the past present and future of this forum.

This forum started as a hangout created back in 1997 by Dave who owned a shop in Arizona until he retired. I took the reins around 2005. In 2007 I created the new domain name Bike-Talk.com and the forum went through many upgrades over the years including the last migration to a robust server host. I've covered all of the annual and monthly costs to this day to keep this forum free from member dues or blasting everyone with too much advertising.

Despite the forum becoming quiet lately due to no promotion, I believe this platform could still have a future with the right amount of effort. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of bandwidth or energy at this time. So I would like to offer up the forum to someone who can treat her right. A few years back I turned down offers from a corporate forum hosting company because I didn't want to see it go down that way.

Not sure if any members will have interest but I thought I would check with the members here first. I'm not looking to make a profit... no way I could ever recoup what I've put into this over 17 years. So chime in if owning and running a forum sounds like something you want to take on or know someone that does. The right person could make this forum even better and probably bring in some revenue with mild advertising. A small amount of web experience would be helpful to make for a seamless transition. I'm not looking to train someone.

Brief logistics: The site is hosted through a dedicated commercial hosting service capable of high bandwidth. Migration to a new account is preferred unless the new operator wishes to pay the small monthly hosting fee already under my name. The domain has been in existence since I created it, and the domain name was just renewed for the next year. There is also an alternate (similar) domain name I own included. The platform runs on XenForo and is straight forward to operate without any software to install. The platform application was purchased by myself along with any add-ons and plugins such as the Showcase gallery and other features. The forum is very much a turnkey site and runs itself (except for needing a moderator).

Anyone wishing to inquire please contact me at the following address:
    biketalkforum AT gmail.com

Note: Anyone spamming this address will be reported to a blacklist. Only serious inquiries.

Thanks!
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of the possible demise of the biketalk forum. I was fortunate to have been a member during more active days. As well it helped connect me to meeting red rider. Which i hope hes okay.
  3. kenfuzed

Thanks, hopefully it will just be another chapter for the forum. The site will remain up for as long as possible while looking for someone wanting to take it forward.
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this Ken! I have met a lot of good people on this forum and have made a few very close friends from this site. Bike-Talk was the first Bike Forum that I joined when I decided to start riding. I gained a lot of knowledge from these pages and pages of information that has been shared here.
  5. JohnnyBiker

I talk to Red on a fairly often basis and the last that I spoke to him, he is doing well. He is still struggling from back ailments but they seem to be less than what they were, but still present.
  6. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Wow been a min since I've been on .miss seeing old friends posting on the forum .especially seeing old crazy card board and his rants .hope someone picks it up and she starts to take off again .lots of good old memories on the forum. All the best to you Ken.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Yeah there has been a lot of banter exchanged on this site for sure. I remember when Kim started calling Grumpy Bear from the Care Bears. LMFAO, she even posted a GIF of Grumpy Bear.....;)
  8. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I use to have his number. Cant find it. Could you have him give me a call? I will pm you my phone number. Might be heading his way in september.
  9. kenfuzed

Thanks everyone for chiming in. As you can see by my late response I just don't have the bandwidth to follow even my own posting. So far there have not been many inquiries. I'm stretching this out as long as possible but at some point its just more money out the door that I've been personally fronting.
  10. JohnnyBiker

Check your inbox