1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The Promise Ride

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jun 27, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

This is the ride that I'm suppose to go on with these guys back to the wall in D.C. this August. Frank the guy who started it will not be able to ride much, he just had a couple of small strokes but will ride in the pickup. We'll put his bike on the trailer so if he can ride into the wall he will. Loren. he is a really close friend and we ride together a lot.

Promise ride a 3,000 mile journey for vets | kgw.com Portland
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I do not think that riding into the wall will help his health.. :wtf:

I hope that he is able to ride to the wall though. Is this the same guy that you were talking about that may not have that much longer?
  3. FLHTbiker

JB, I just came back from the Hospital. Frank had a stroke last night. He is still planning on going to the wall but may have to ride in the truck. Don't know how its going to work out yet it may only be me and Loren riding. :(
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I truly hope that your friend will make it on that trip, thoughts and prayers are out to him and the family and friends.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good for you FLHT , Take his bike anyway , he just might want to make his last stand at the wall :cool:& it just might help his train of thought some ,knowing his friends are helping him along ;)
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Amazing men. My prayers are with you fellas.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good riding and thoughts and prayers to all y'all
  8. Fatboy128

Do you know your route yet? Do you think you'll be coming Interstate 80?
  9. FLHTbiker

Were probably taking 90 across but will have to drop down somewhere just not sure yet. I may leave the group and travel on my own coming back as they are just going to Interstate it back.
  10. Fatboy128

90 comes east into NY State (Albany). I wouldnt recommend coming thaqt far east since the ride South SUCKS from there. But, there are some nice roads from about the center of NY State. Let me know if you guys work it out. I may be up to a ride west into NY State or even, gulp, New Joysee.
  11. FLHTbiker

How far is it from your place to DC
  12. Fatboy128

A traffic congested few hundred miles. I have done it a few times including Rolling Thunder and swear that I won't do it again FROM LONG ISLAND. In fact I wouldn't be able to take enough time to do it. But, I figured if you guys were coming out into central NY then turning south towards DC , I would try and get out that way (which is mostly westward and a little north) from me. That ride is doable for me.
  13. FLHTbiker

Don't know which way they want to go yet. You need to move west, far west that is to some open spaces. :D
  14. Fatboy128

If it were only me I'd be a neighbor of yours (relatively speaking). BUT right now my wife is the real bread winner and she can't retire for another 7 years. 3 of my 4 sons are living in AZ with 7 grankids. The 4th son is in eastern PA wanting to move out west also. in Sept '96 I was working on a bridge deck on I 90 just west of Missoula. Trout fished every morn and eve. Loved the locals. Almost cried on the plane home. Came back in 97 to finish the bridge. More fun and relaxation despite working. People are much more civilized out there. AZ is filled with So. CA and snow birds from Canada. Me no like it there much. I'd probably would find a hole in the wall there where there are few transplants. Someday I hope to make it outta here.
  15. FLHTbiker

Hope you do, sooner the better, right.