1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The race and there goes the gas mileage.

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Apr 23, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Oh yea Alex was a great day at the track. It got up to around 72-74 todayThey told us to keep it down to 80, yea right when they said go we were gone and when we came around to start the second lap they just waved us ahead. 120 down the straight away. We got to do 4 laps. There were four of us all on Ultras that took the lead and we was leaving the rest behind. I moved into second place behind our chapter director who is no slough and like me likes to ride at a fast pace. We virtually were all in a race. I set my corners up just right and did not drag. Was working the gears pretty hard back and forth and kept my RPM's up to keep the front end stiff. I had the power to go around our chapter director but at the speeds we were running I didn't want to put him in jeopardy so just stayed right on his rear. Got challenged once by one guy on a street glide but slammed the door on him in a corner and never saw him again and ol Vern can ride pretty darn good. One the last corner onto the straight away we could see the rear pack just in front of us so if we would have had one more lap we would have put those bikes a lap down. There were no Dyna's, softails or 1200 Sportster that even came close to challenging all of us on our Ultra classics.
    Was a lot of fun and really appreciated them allowing us to open the bikes up. We only had one guy that claimed he could have gone around all of us and I said to him you should have tried it. :D Nothing like a bragger.
    But yea were had those big ol bikes moving out dang well. Had a chapter photo team taking pics so I'll post some up when he puts them up on the chapter website. :D
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wow....sounds like a GREAT time!!!! looking forward to the pics!!!!!! would have been neat to have a helmet cam..............
  3. FLHTbiker

Yea that would have been fun. I just heard that they were timing our laps don't know what they are yet but bet we were the slowest bikes out there today. The XL1200's were doing 150 and the 650 sport race bikes were up into the 160 range on the straight.
  4. FLHTbiker

They had the Ducatti there that won the Daytona 200 and got my pic next to it. :)
  5. chucktx

6. FLHTbiker

The Ducatti

Attached Files:

7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

that sounds like fun :D good looking duc
  8. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

I think the Ultra pictured below it is way more beautiful, but each to his own. That sounds like a perfect day, and nice to get to go that fast without worrying about going to jail. You definitely got a nice Easter gift.

Were all the different bikes going around at the same time?
  9. FLHTbiker

No, they let us go out by ourselves in between the other races. Yea, perfect day all around. :)
  10. FLHTbiker

Re: The race Photos

Finally got a couple of photos of the race.:)

When we started I was third in line as seen in the first corner in photo 1 by the second lap I passed that bike as did two others and in photo 2 in neck and neck with our chapter director. I was told by the track manager who came to our chapter meeting Tuesday night that we did hit 120 on the straight just before that corner where you see the four bikes in photo 2.

The 3rd photo was the Harley 1200 race bikes, those guys made us look like we were standing still. But those bikes are setup for racing and not some big bulky ultra. It is interesting that none of the smaller bikes from our chapter were able to keep up with the four of us. Got to tell you it was a blast I would do it again. We did get invited back for the track season opener next year. :D

Attached Files:

11. chucktx

great pics...........looks like a great time!!!!!!!!!!! hope ya get to do it again!!
  12. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

It does look like you had a good time FLHT. Nice pics. That Ducati is a nice machine. If I were to get a sport bike, that would be the one that I get. Although it would be the 2011 889. They have 140 hp. :cool:
  13. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Wow! Pretty cool. I'm sure you had great fun!!!
    I did the Loudon, NH track years ago with the Keith Code Superbike School, I'll never forget it.
  14. alex the dog

Johnny, check out the new Ducati Diavel (Devil). 162 hp and 520 lbs for your next thrill. Sorta like a pumped V-Rod. www.DucatiUSA.com
  15. alex the dog

Great shots FLHT! I can see a big smile inside that helmet. I also see that the XR1200's have stock pipes.....were these stock machines?
  16. FLHTbiker

Yea know I have no idea if they were stock or not but do know they were doing in excess of 160 down the straight stretch. Those two bikes are ridden by pro's and the pack behind them was way back. Number 19 had a mishap and wound up finishing in 3rd place.
  17. alex the dog

Go to this same web-site and scroll down to the videos of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb on a Multi Strada and another right next to it, Pikes Peak on a Monster. The videos will make your stomach rock-and-roll.
  18. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Not really into that bike. Looks too much like the Stradda. :puke:
  19. alex the dog

Forget the looks....check out the videos.