1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

The Search Begins

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, May 11, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

After a lot of consideration Hot Rider and I have decided that it is time that she begins her search for her more permanent ride. It isn't that she doesn't like the Sportster, but it just isn't set up for constant long distance riding. Along with the fact that it isn't set up for the riding that she wants to do, I am starting to get anxious to break the Sportster down and begin its transformation that I have planned for it.

Hot Rider will be riding a lot of different bikes this summer and her search officially began last night. Last night she took out a bike that was a Fatboy clone. By this I mean that the frame wasn't and HD, but the engine and tins were, not sure about the front end. There was an old 98 80 CI power plant in it with a nice exhaust. The guy wants too much money for it. Hot Rider thought that it rode nice but the guy was a little too forth coming with information, which I appreciate but tuned me off to the bike almost instantly. We have a ways to go before a decision is made.

Today I am going to take Hot Rider to a parking lot and I am going to let her saddle up the Road Glide and take that for a spin to give her an idea what that is like. I am nervous of that but I do think that it will be good for Hot Rider to ride as many different bikes as she can. (Something that I learned here). Hot Riders goal is to find a bike that she likes a lot and can customize to her liking. Hey, I am all for that. :D

Will give an update soon.
  2. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

Hey, when momma happy, everybody happy:roflmao: Good luck on your search:D
  3. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

How come everybody tells Johnnybiker what to do but nothing for me? :eek::roflmao::roflmao:
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

2002 roadking
  5. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

Really? I'm sure I'll test pretty much all. I do like the deluxe, heritage style. So we are going to build a bigger & better engine then jb,right? Lmao. I told JB then I'd take him for a ride. I got some time to look & ride.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I was gonna suggest a twin cam softail, early years are not expensive and you get a better engine design and balanced so it won't vibrate your eyeballs at 60 mph and up.

Softails are lower in the seat than the FL line like RG, RK, etc. and the balanced engines are smooth, they are lighter by a few hundred pounds, heritages have windshields that detach and the bags can be made detachable so you can make it look like a deluxe but have all the bolt on goodies without paying extra for them..
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I'd say get a 2000-2004 Heritage Springer. That will make JB jealous and you would love it. Sits low has real classic looks and rides great.
  8. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

OR check out the new Switchback. Dyna frame. 103", quick disconnect hard bags and windshield, floorboards. About 17k.
  9. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Definitely the Switchback!
  10. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I'd say '02 King too...in EFI....'99-'02 carb,that is,if you're gonna let JB into your engine;)...If the seat height was good for you on JB's...RK is a better ride...YMMV:D
  11. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

There is only one bike that I think that you should get, and that is 'THE ONE THAT YOU WANT!" I know that we will test ride a lot of different bikes in the next few months, all you need to do is keep an open mind with each and every one of them. I watch you ride and I know that you will be able to handle any bike that you choose as you are a great rider! Remember, the bike will choose you, not you choosing it. :)
  12. Hot Rider

Hot Rider Active Member

Road Kings are a nice style too. I'm sure JB will be into the engine. I want to customize the bike so buying something new is not an option. I'm so use to being on the bikes that have no problem of getting up and going that I just laugh to myself when I have taken the Suzuki out. One time I was at the stop sign and I was thinking "is this thing even running, what the crap!" I think of a Cross Bones, but with that one I would not touch the paint, that bike looks kick a$$ with the flat black. Maybe someday after I have my bike that displays my personality I'll get one. JB likes them alot so it would have to be a share bike. :D