1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

There be Whales

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by FLHTbiker, Sep 29, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My friend Steve who rode to the wall with me called this morning and said it's going to be a beautiful day out lets go for a ride. Meant up and we rode the Nestucca river route over the coast range mountains. We ended up in a town called Pacific City and had a great lunch at the Pelican that sits right next to the beach. After lunch we walked out to look at the surfers. Then I spotted a spout of water off in the distance by Haystack Rock. It was a small pod of whales and they would come up and then blow water. Pretty cool to see, so thought I would share a couple of pics. Close to the surf those are the surfers waiting for a decent wave to come along.

Attached Files:

2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Nice pics , good to here your getting some miles in , hows your back holding out ?
  3. FLHTbiker

Back is doing very well, rode about 195 miles today. :)
  4. cowboy

That's good 195 is a decent test run for your back , what bike did you ride?
  5. FLHTbiker

Rode the Ultra, much more comfortable.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thanks for the pics!!!!!!!! putting folks in the pic helps with seeing just how big that rock is!!
  7. FLHTbiker

Those pics were taken with my IPhone and I also zoomed in on it to. That rock is pretty frigging big. Sometimes the surfers will stand on their boards and paddle out to it and you can't even see em without binoculars. Talked to some surfers there and the only other issue out there is sharks, great whites often are seen out their. The whales won't bother yea unless they just happen to come up to sound when your paddling a board out their. No thanks. :)
  8. cowboy

There where people in The pic?
  9. FLHTbiker

Look at the water those black things towards the beach are surfers.
  10. FLHTbiker

Cowboy, there were some really great looking girls in Bikini's laying on the beach and sitting on the patio of the restaurant but like I told Steve, I said I would really love to take their pics to post up on bike talk but their boy friends were bigger and younger then us. :D :roflmao:

Here is a pic of the rock before I zoomed in.

Attached Files:

11. cowboy

That's a big rock , I looked at the whale spouting that was cool guess I was looking to much into the pic
  12. FLHTbiker

You can also drive your car down on the beach. The guys that fish with their Dory boats launch em right there into the surf and do some fantastic fishing off the coast their. Its world famous for Dory boat fishing.

Cape Kiwanda - Dory Landing Smooth.wmv - YouTube
  13. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

im happy you got some miles on the bike bro !!! things lookin up for ya!!!!!:cheers:
  14. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Great to hear you riding miles. Driving on beach is like Outer Banks ... Surf fisherman drive out to surf. Blues and Drum run in spring and fall, great fun. Can take ferry over to Ocracoke Island and drive up the beach. Is is all State land, cant build. So it is like it has been for 100s of years. Have ponys running wild. Really cool.
  15. FLHTbiker

I would like to see that someday:)
  16. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Glad to see ya back on two! Doesn't seem that long ago that you got cut. A couple of years ago a guy launched a weird looking aluminum boat here at one of the boat ramps. It had an outboard and very high gunwhales. A couple of us went over to him to ask about it's design. Turns out it was a Pacific Dory boat like in the video you posted. It's the only one we've ever seen on the "right" coast here. He brought it with him when he moved here.
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

they have a yearly running of those ponys dont they???? i was stationed in wilimgton a couple of years.....70/71
  18. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

I think they used to, now there are three herds and each is in a sanctuary. Below is their current status, protected...

The Corolla herd has been traced back as far as 1523, but their future is hazy. Development places their habitat under pressure and vehicular traffic makes their wild roaming highly dangerous. In 1999 the Corolla Wild Horse Fund took the remaining horses to a 400-acre area on private Dews Island in Currituck Sound.

The Banker ponies on Ocracoke have lived in harmony with residents for more than 200 years. Islanders put the animals to work hauling lifesaving equipment and fishing boats. When the Cape Hatteras National Seashore was formed in the late 50s and early 60s, all of the animals were rounded up. Today, you can see Ocracoke’s Banker ponies at the National Park Service Pony Pen, a 160-acre pasture about 6 miles south of the Hatteras-Ocracoke ferry docks.

A final sanctuary for the horses is Shackelford Banks. Here you’ll find these 14-hand high horses grazing and frolicking on the nine-mile long barrier island just east of Morehead City and Beaufort.