1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

There's something wrong with me

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I just got a call from the dealership. Seems my cam shoes were on their way out and a piece had broken off and nicked the oil pump. Also, apparently there's some issue with the cylinder studs on '01s and those need to be replaced. The oil pump is kind of expensive, but the studs are no big deal, especially since they're already into the motor. I have no problem replacing the oil pump. If I only drove 500 miles a year it would be one thing, but I'll get my money out of it. I'm practically getting a brand new bike at this point. Motor anyway.

What's wrong with me, you ask? I'm driving four hours round trip to go see my baby undergoing surgery. I'm compelled to see it with the top end off and the nose cone removed. I seriously need help.

I'll take pictures.
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

We all need help cause we all want to see the pictures..:D

What was wrong with the studs in 01 ??
  3. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

if you have to change the studs go with the se high tensile studs when I hopped my 02 the studs stretched more than .030 I ended up blowing a head gasket good time to go to the geardrive also
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nothing wrong with you abby.....we all would probably do the same.....and yes we are all waiting for the pics....;)
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep nothing wrong with you wanting to make sure your friend is getting the best care you can give her I would say that most if not all of us here would do the same as your doing right now :cool:
  6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The only thing I see wrong with you is you actually considered the thought that this audience would think your driving four hours to see your baby during her operation was strange!
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I cannot believe how bad the traffic was. It took me over four hours to get there and three hours to get back. I'm glad I went, but I'm traumatized. At one point it took an hour and a half to go less than three miles. Construction. They took the north/south artery going into/out of Denver down to one lane on a holiday weekend.

Pictures tomorrow.
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

OK, here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. chucktx

thanks for the pics.....when i saw the title of the first pic.."studs and rods" i thought i was gonna see my pic!!:roflmao:
    glad it was of your engine!!!
    you know there working on it as there is a "big empty space"....
    i hate road construction.....:gah:
  10. SK

SK New Member

Now the problem is waiting until spring to ride it after it's completed.

Denver can clear up enough, but the roads will be messed up. Last year about now they had multiple storms that couldn't be cleared quick enough for the next storm that left 6" of ice on residential streets.

There was road construction on I70 constantly all summer long. Can't believe they're still working on it..uh..yes I can. :(

I'm leaving within the hour for Carbondale, CO..just up hwy 82 from Glenwood Springs. Abby..I'll see if I can contact you. Are you working later in the week after Christmas? I need to go to CostCo in Gypsum to buy a laptop for my friend's daughter.
  11. cowboy

Abby is that A new gear to gear or was it in there ? , the rest look's good so far just a few small parts missing , but all will well in no time
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

They are new gears that replaced the chain setup. Apparently it's fitting a little tight, so they're ordering a new one (the smaller one on the bottom) so it doesn't whine or crack the big gear. I guess it happens. Not often, but that's OK. I'd rather not have whining.

He said my motor looked great for the mileage. :D I'm glad, because the rest of it's so filthy that at least they know I take care of the important stuff, right?

Oh yeah, and Chuck, I was thinking about you when I named the photo. ;)
  13. bdfin

bdfin New Member

It's only money......seems like a good investment in your riding future.
    Probably one of, if not the thing you enjoy most.....
  14. cowboy

Good thing they caught it before it was all back together & it does look real clean inside the rod area It's amazaing what changing your oil can do :D
  15. chucktx

abby, there is a thread on here about crank runout, and its dangers if too much....i will try to find it if you havent read it yet. some engines have too much and cannot run the gear drive cam.....
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The over/under size pinon gears are a very common change, in fact any shop doing this all the time should have an undersize gear in stock, jmo as it's used alot.

Runout on the older motors isn't that bad but the 06 and ups looks like when HD went to the new tensioner setup the runout spec was changed and it's outside the spec for gears, funny how that happened huh?

I forget the specs but with an 01 you should be find as long as the parts are still good.

Should run a lot better, are you doing head work while it's off? Maybe they have a good shop that can change out valve springs, do some porting and polish, 3 or 5 angle valve job, sure will help with power out there in the mile high land, I'd stay at the stock compression though.
  17. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

so how is your scoots make over coming abby ain't heard noth'n for a while:confused:
  18. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

as for the traffic I would rather ride or drive in L.A. than denver.I would probably even chose houston or atlanta over denver traffic on some days. the construction sucks yes. but it's the idiot cagers that are more important than the next ( and they all truely belive that in denver ) that cause the majority of the problems.:banghead:
  19. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I called today because it's supposed to be a nice rideable weekend down there. They're still waiting on some parts, so maybe next weekend when it'll likely be snowing again. :(

It's OK. I'll be riding soon enough. ABATE will be teaching classes in February (I'd like to work for them), which isn't that far away.

It's weird. I feel like a fish out of water. Everyone I work and live around is so happy to be out in the snow and I just want it to be gone.
  20. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

need to get yourself a snowmobike that should cure it /not/ I'm with you not a snow and cold lover at all. thats why I am in calif. workin right now