1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

These handle bars gotta go

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jturuk, May 5, 2009.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Have any of you folks found a set that you really like and would recommend?

Thanks
    John
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i like buckhorns myself......great control and comfort
  3. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Are they Harley or jobber bars Chucktx?
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I liked the beach bars/pull backs my self but the bucks are comfy and the hangers are cool, If I were you head out and find some kings or simular rides with a variance of bars and feel them out theres is no harm in wasting a salesmans time lol.
  5. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Thanks

What I don't like about these stock bars is that they are so far forward that my arms are pretty much totally extended when riding and it really gets my elbows sore after awhile. My Kawi had really wide, back swept bars that were really comfy. They resemble the "beach" bars in the Harley catalogue. I have really long arms. I can't imagine how someone with shorter arms could ride the Road Kings with the stock handle bars for any distance at all.

John
  6. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I thought that most all RK's came with the beach bars, or buch horns as stock, you must have some pretty straight and/or wide bars, throw down with a pic if ya can I would like to see your setup
  7. chucktx

i would like to see also......instead of bars, maybe ya can get a set of pull back risers.....lot cheaper than bars....
  8. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

There goes chuck again always thinkin
  9. chucktx

sorry...lol lol..............old habits are hard to break!!!!!!!!!!! lmao!!!!!!
  10. jturuk

jturuk New Member

I changed the seat out to a Mustang before I started riding this spring. I wonder if this seat positions a rider further away from the handle bars. I didn't notice any arm discomfort at all last year with the stock seat. hmmmmm.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

dere ya go...
  12. chucktx

possible...the more info ya throw out, the better the answer ya get!!!
  13. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I remember the setup on the RK I had..Mustang saddle and stock bars....not liking that. You can go with a touring bar..like on an Electra Glide and rotate the bar down towards you so it's closer and you can bend your arm at the elbow somewhat. The touring bar has a more natural feel to it it's a lot more comfortable. The Calgary police on Road Kings use FLHT bars..not the stock FLHR bars
  14. 1988flhtc in nfld

1988flhtc in nfld New Member

when i put on my mustang seat i couldnt reach my hi way pegs. made rider lower too.
  15. edveitch

edveitch New Member

You may have to change cables if you pick the wrong bars. Your stock cable may be to short. Can you loosen your bars and adjust them?
  16. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Check out the: Wild1,inc. web site /customer bikes page.The Roadglide bars from this company are only 31" wide & have a nice pull back angle to them(jmo):D
    The other common swap is a Softail Heritage bar (will work fine with stock cables).One of my friends is a motor cop & says the department has the City garage do this swap on most of the Police Roadkings in service.
    ***(jmo...again): Be careful with those "beach-bars",they may restrict your turning radius in tight steering menuevers:confused:
    Good luck with your handlebar quest,00 wildglide:cool:
  17. Cracker

Cracker New Member

The first thing I changed on my 99 road king was the handle bars. The heritage bars worked great & all the cables & wiring is long enough, bolts right up. Them king stock bars killed my shoulders & neck.

Cracker
  18. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Risers can put the bars right where you want them, assuming you like the angle your wrist meets those bars, otherwise, I'd put that stock seat back on ASAP and see if it feels better. I have a stock 07 solo seat on my Street Bob now. It came with a $400 HD custom seat. The custom seat seemed to be really comfortable. I changed to the solo seat, just for fun on local rides. When I went back to the HD custom seat, when prepping for a long ride, I found I didn't like it as much. i guess we can become used to different types of seats. The Mustang seat was a hands down winner in the comfort sweepstakes when I had my Sporty, but every bike/person's a little different. My Carlini drag bars with 8" risers are excellent, but I've got really long arms, as I'm 6"5".
    I plan to put some gel or padding inside my stock seat, since I like it so much. If you prefer the look of the Mustang, perhaps some padding inside could bring it up to the height of your other seat. Good luck, let us know how this works out.