1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

They say you never really know fear....

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Red Rider, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

....until you have children. So true.

Yesterday my oldest son and I took our first longish (65 miles) road ride together. I was on my 'King, Ol' Red. and he was on Suzi Q, my dual-sport DR650SE. He just got his permit and had never rode on the pavement in traffic before. I thought it would be fun, but I haven't been that scared in a long frickin' time, not since there were complications when my youngest was being born.

Where we live there is town and then highway. Not much town, lots of 65MPH or 70MPH highway. Traffic was heavy (for here, likely light for a lot of places) and he was nervous, as he'd never rode at more than 30MPH on the dirt or gravel, with me on the only other vehicle.

I hardly remember the ride out to breakfast, as it was just a red blur of tension. When we stopped, he was shaking. I thought I'd have to go back and get the truck to bring him home. But the kid pulled it together, probably with the help of a big breakfast, and he was fine on the way home and since.

Dang that was scary!:eek: I sure hope it gets to be fun, and soon!
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

He has a great teacher with him so I do think that there is a great chance that he will be OK. Although not exactly the same, I kind of felt the same way when I started to teach my oldest daughter how to drive my truck. She will be OK. Just take more practice. Get him out there as much as you can.:cool:
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

There was a lot of new stuff for him to figure out, but it sounds like he's getting used to it. Takes time . . . and I think it's good for him to be nervous - he'll be more careful.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Red I know just how you felt, my oldest son bought a kaw ninja 750 when he was 17 his mother sighned for it (my X) we went for a ride & he hauled balls I just knew where we where going & got there & pulled his key , told him he couldn't like & live long , then my youngest son got a susy 650 sport all built up also told him he wont live long riding that way , then my second daughter got her Sporty , & tried to run with youngest son on his custom S&S 88 in evo darn kids will drive ya to drink :eek: they have all setteled down riding now :eek:
  5. Red Rider

Thanks, guys.

Nice thing about the DR650 is it ain't really a crotch rocket, its a go-anywhere-and-back-again ride. It can go fast, 100+, but it is set higher for off-road riding. It also helps that my kid ain't near the jackwagon I was at his age, at least for now. Way more cautious and respectful of the laws of Nature, Physics and the Great State of Nevada. With appropriate fear of God, injury, and Dad!

He just got back from his first solo run up and down the highways. Now I can de-sober up and relax, won't have to worry anymore tonight!

Knob Creek or Early Times - don't matter which!
    :cheers:
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Wow both of you guys had scares and Red like the way you sat him down in the restaurant and probably talked with him and helped him calm down. Must be hard seeing your kids jump right out and do that. Neither one of mine wanted to ride a motorcycle. Son was into bicycles and still wears the spandex stuff. Your probably a great help to him Red and he will appreciate you for it. I like you comment and fear of God, injury and Dad. :D
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That Knob Creek is really good. I got just friggen hammered off of that one Christmas:rolleyes: then went to church. Don't do that.
    ;):rolleyes:
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Yup, a little common sense (and the fear of those things you mentioned above LOL) goes a long way, and it sounds like your boy has some. More than I did when I was that age ;).
  9. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Yep, last night I got me good and hammered on that stuff. Today I gotta turn my life around. Really going to hell wid myself. Naaa, never mind
  10. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Man. My boys 17 and he just wants to ride so bad going to go for his mc saftey course. But like all moms guess who is going to take the course as. Well bet the instructor gets. A 100 bill put in his hand just to fail him so as not to get a good score . She just don't think he is ready yet .and for what its worth I don't either . Only one problem he will be 18 in september so he will go take it again with. Out mom . And I'm sure he will go strait to the dealer and get his bike. If he's any thing like me ! . I'm sweating it! Seen him ride dirt bikes man the kid is good but fearless that's bad juju!
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The harder you suppress him the more he is likely to rebel so.
    Just support him as best you can and try and keep him under your wing as much as you can and as long as you can. Try and get him into the advanced class as soon as you can as well. Good luck but patience is a good policy. :)
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Take him out more & try to find some country roads.

You know what to do...all he needs is a little experience and help from the Old Man...
    And remember , don't Bust his chops too bad .
    He will be find...
  13. Red Rider

No offense, but tryin' to find country roads out here is not the problem! :roflmao: We got two kinds of roads in NV, those with traffic and those without. Most are without, and I mean nothin' but snakes, rabbits and stray cattle. He needs time with traffic to be a real rider. But he did get out amongst it twice today, so we're getting there.

I got him one of those full face convertible helmets that makes him look like some character from a sci-fi video game (he picked it out). He loves it so much he wore it all day to "break it in"! Young enthusiasm is so frickin' great! I'm actually glad he ain't a bug eater like me.

He's been down hard on the bike off-road, so he isn't a virgin that way. I'd be just fine, though, if he never has another wreck. More worried about the other drivers at this time.

Thanks again for the words and thoughts.........may not have any fingernails by Monday!
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

.........may not have any fingernails by Monday Put full finger gloves on LOL at least your son will were a helmet ,all my kids are like me & only were if they have to or bad weather