1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Thinking about serious motor work

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hot01, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

When they checked my cam chain tensioners before my trip they said they were worn, but OK. They were more concerned that the cams were getting worn and suggested that as a winter job. Someone here recommended the gear driven cams, which sounds good to me. At 68K miles, I have no issues with that.

I was also thinking about going with a big bore kit and getting a little more power. The problem is that I have to go with the dealership. The only other guy around here that does motor work is a total ass. He doesn't charge any less, and you have to stand around and listen to him insult you and every other idiot who's bought a new motorcycle at a dealership in the last 20 years. I just don't want to give him my money. At least at the dealership they're friendly to me.

Looking in the Harley catalog and online, all they have listed are kits for EFI models, and even those are only for bikes '06 and newer. :wtf: Are we not expected to be riding bikes that are more than a year or two old? What companies should I look at for something like this? I don't want to go real fast, but it would have been nice to be able to go the speed limit in Utah (although I blame most of that on my carb and high altitude).
  2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Just got back from the shop. They recommended 37G cam set from Andrews, bore out the cylinders, get bigger pistons, adjustable pushrods, a thick head gasket, and mist-free something to do with the rocker arms thingies to keep all the oil from blowing out my breather. So now I'm looking at motor parts websites and trying to figure out how many classes I have to teach to pay for all of this.

Why can't I just be into designer clothes? :gah:
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You have a long winter coming up, can you wrench?
    You have some basic tools?

You can pull the top end off easy, ups the rocker boxes, heads and cyl to Bill at Bishops, he'll do all the machine and setup work, UPS it back.

Head job is about $400
    Cyl bore around $200
    Pistons around $200
    Adjustable Pushrods $150
    Gaskets and cam change kit $80 say $100 for all misc stuff
    Cams $275 (Gear drive)
    Gears $250

So about $1500, skip the heads and you can do it for $1000

This isn't rocket science, if you can turn a wrench you can do this yourself and save the labor.

Bill and Amy at Bishop's Performance - Parts & Service for Harley Davidson, Buell, and other American V-Twins are good people, he can bore out your cyl and fit the pistons in for you so you don't need a ring compressor, clean up the heads a little.

You can rent the cam tools you need on HTT in the swap meet section.

Then you could ride by the Ahole and smile.

37B's are good cams for an RK, either that or 26's,

Go gear drive, for all your HD parts call Jenny at Charlies HD in Charleston WV, 20% off everyday, you just need a top end gasket kit and cam change gaskets, bearings, Actually I prefer S&S's cam change kit comes loaded with everything you need and Bill and Amy can set you up. Just tell them HRK sent you.
  4. hotroadking

BTW if it's a budget thing, just change the cams to TW26G cams, good with baggers and 88's will give you more power and you can do the top end later.
  5. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'd love to do it myself. I'd have to pull it in the apartment though, which I'm perfectly willing to do. Hmmm. I'll have to look at the doors and see if I can get it in the kitchen. I have a huge kitchen, so it's doable. I just might not be able to get in the fridge for a while - probably wouldn't hurt me.
  6. hotroadking

Now that theres funny I don't care who you are.

Get a service manual for the bike and look over top end engine rebuild and the cam change section, see if you're up to the task before you start.

You'll need a couple special tools, a tq wrench, some patience and the cam change tools for the bearings and gears which you can rent on Harley Tech Talk.
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

With the tools and the time (we have long winters), I'm confident I can do it. I'll take a look before I start tearing things apart though.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hey abby......building in the kitchen is "old school!" cant tell ya how many i built in my kitchen before i got a shop!!!! lol lol. ya got heat/ac if ya need it, sandwiches, coffee, beer, every thing is right handy and within reach! you can do this and there are plenty of folks here that can help if ya get stuck. kitchen table makes a great work table. get plenty of rags, ya never have to many rags!. have fun!!! gonna keep checkin this thread for updates!!:)
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'll be reading up on it, but I try to squeeze out every last day of riding that I can. It might be a few months. I've decided that this sounds like wayyy too much fun to pass up. Hell, if I can ride it across the country by myself, I can certainly take it apart in my kitchen. Just don't tell the landlord.
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hell, i was lucky....the landlord never came by....and i had a nice thick (no shag) carpet to help with oil soak up. when i finished i threw the ol carpet out. i parked it in the living room when i wasnt riding it. had a nice big sliding patio door to get it in the house....:) also had a seperate carpet in there also.....it was a 53 pan, so it did leak..:p
  11. hotroadking

OK

Couple of things to do for prep

Order a Service Manual and a parts manual for your bike from Jenny at Charlies HD in Charleston WV

Charlie's Harley-Davidson
    408 4th Street
    Huntington, WV, USA 25701
    (304) 523-1340
    (304) 523-5474 (fax)
    Visit our Web site
    Huntington, West Virginia, Harley-Davidson, Motorcycle, Dealer, Used, Parts, Service, Financing

For those of you who don't know Jenny, 20% off no tax and reasonable shipping on all HD parts every day

I've see up to 25% off on all aftermarket parts, just have the PN when you call she doesn't look them up, CCI, HD, Drag.

Now you need to get some motor work done, will take a week or two with shipping, during that time you can change out the cams and polish stuff, lean the frame, etc LOL

Talk to Bill and Amy at Bishop's Performance - Parts & Service for Harley Davidson, Buell, and other American V-Twins
    They do top notch quality work on bore and heads.

UPS him your cyl and heads and let him do a big bore and stage 1 street port on the heads. Cams should be either S&S 510G, ANdrews tw37bG, Woods TW6G

Me I'm a woods fan, his cams are usually advanced a bit and make more TQ on the bottom from an earlier rpm and that's what you want on the heavy bike, not HP, you can't ride a dyno, TQ TQ TQ TQ TQ, repeat that and don't let ANYONE steer you to HP, any of those Gear drive cams will work.
  12. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Or if budget doesn't allow then you could always just get a set of SE flat top pistons, have the jugs bored, and install a set of Andrews 37 or 26 cams and cometic 30 head gasket.

One of the best things about doing a rebuild in your kitchen is it motivates you to finish so that its not in your way.
  13. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I have the service manual already. Slept with it last night. The last time I slept with my "Successful Shotgunning" book I got up and did extremely well at 5-stand. Imagine what I could do with a smart man. :roflmao: (I start reading in bed and then fall asleep - in case that isn't real clear)

Anyway...

I thought I'd throw a piece of plywood down on the floor. It's brand new vinyl that I nagged to get for a few months and finally got them to agree to buy it if I had my ex install it. I think I can get the bike in through the kitchen door. There's a small mudroom, so it isn't a straight shot. I park the bike on the porch outside the door. The property manager owns a Harley. I knew him from riding before I rented and the whole reason I got this place was so I could pull the bike up on the porch. Sometimes they need to come in because you have to get in the basement through my kitchen, but he'd probably be OK about it. As long as I don't start it in the house I should be OK.

Chicago Harley-Davidson also gives 20% off all in stock parts and accessories. I've had good luck with them. We also have a "biker co-op" (my own name for it) locally. A bunch of different guys man the shop at different times and in return for working there, they get their parts at cost. They sell at a discount to everyone else. I'm not sure who they get all their parts from. I'll have to check that out.
  14. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

15. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

When I owned my condo, I used to pull my sporty (before I totaled that) into the house. Parked next to my couch in the living room... Sure it leaked a little, just put a little pan under it. Was the best place to park it cause the neighborhood was quickly changing over to quite a seedy one...:)
  16. SG_Bagger

SG_Bagger New Member

Cams and Heads

I recently completed an engine job on my 03 Road King. Installed new Heads, Cams, and Rods. I had the cylinders bored. Everything came to just a little under $1500. I found this local shop Axiom Cycles Axiom Cycles: Custom Chopper Parts - Frames,Rolling Chassis,Handlebars that a had a special on S&S products. They were very helpful and informative.
  17. hotroadking

Remove the engine guard and bags before you roll it in might be easier.

Chicago HD is good, so is zannoti HD and Jenny

Check your prices at all three I've found that the starting price at one may be higher than the other, net price can be different at each dealer.

Some dealers mark up HD's prices which they can and discount and you got to be careful.
  18. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Wow - $1500.00 I'd look into this if I where you.

Everything I have read about twin cams is that the limiting factor is the heads. It sounds to me that a simple inexpensive performance increase would be cams and heads - throw in gear drives - and the way you go. If I where you I'd do that first before punchng out the jugs and all that. I'm just saying this to help you simplify your life but at the end of the day its your money.

I like the American Iron mag. It has great tech sections.

Good luck.
    T
  19. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

PS - Jack stands are hard on linolium (sp) I found :roflmao:
  20. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

what I did before I got a place with a garage is a cheap piece of half inch plywood or wood paneling and staple some cheap carpet to it , not shag something like indoor outdoor