1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

This Bites, but no Big Deal

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Oct 14, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yesterday I took the bike to work, nice and cold in the morning, a whopping 37*. All went well, got off of work. As I was riding home from work, I happened to hear this faint rattling. I didn;t pay much attention to it until I slowed down and it started to get louder. finally, it was so loud that I had to pull over to investigate. I followed the noise but it was difficult to determined where it was coming from. At one point I thought that maybe it was the valve train, then it sounded like it was coming from the tranny and so one. I decided this would be a good time to call my indy guy and he could not hear it well over the phone. Needless to say, I was a little concerned. While talking to him he suggested if the exhaust flange was loose? I fired the bike up and tweeked the throttle, no wasn't that. I then looked at the inside of my pipe while it was running and noticed that where the baffle is drilled for the hole to connect it to the pipe, it was broke off, so it was loose, but was not 100% sure because I could not reach the throttle to rev it to see if the baffle was actually moving or not. Well, I got the bike home and had the wife come out to goose the throttle as I looked to see if the baffle was moving and how bad. I came to the conclusion that this was the problem. Today I took that baffle out and fired the bike up to see if it still made that horrific noise. It did not. This is a huge relief.

Now all that I need to do is fix the baffle in such a way that does not allow it to shake and vibrate so it breaks again. I came up with the idea to take a suitable OD" exhaust pipe and weld it to the baffle so it is the same diameter so it fits snugly into my my rather than it being offset. I found the pipe that I need and now just need to weld it.
  2. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

JB, just a thought but you might consider distorting the baffle in a: egg, square, or star shape to fit the pipe snuggly. The reason that I say this is that tight or very close connections in exhaust tend to grow together so to speak. Some day you might want to remove or replace the baffles.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good think it was'nt the new engine , I would try like rak said, as carbon will cause a build up over time & the extra pipe just might get stuck
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

After all the money you have spent on the motor and the rest of the bike maybe find some baffles the correct diameter of the inside of your pipe, I have a pair of 2” big city thunder baffles, that I’d part with for say, you pay the shipping. Check out their web site and see how they look.
    PM me if you’re interested.

Big City Thunder - Thunder Monster Baffle
  5. JohnnyBiker

When companies are advertising the pipe as an example for my pipes they say that they are 2". Now are they saying that ID is 2' or the ID?
  6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

JB instructions attached.
    when I tried them I couldn't tell any difference in the performance or sound of my bike so I went back to the V&H baffles, I have ordered a set of V&H quiet baffles.

Attached Files:

7. JohnnyBiker

Thanks, I really have to have a set in, I can tell the difference in noise and performance that I have without them. I thought I would never say it but baffles are a must.
  8. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Glad ya found out before you damaged yer motor.:)
  9. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I must say that since I had so much trouble in the beginning of the season I am REALLY touchy when I hear something that is out of the norm. In a weird way I guess I am thankful of all the Bullshiiit I had to go through. It has made me proactive when I think that there may be something wrong. :D
  10. steveb

steveb Active Member

It is always good to check out any new noise you have on the bike .You never now until you check it out what it could be.
  11. JohnnyBiker

it is like HarleysLR said, Ihave put a lot of money into this bike so I want to make sure that everything is running well. I just got the drawing for my wheels too. They are sic!!!!