1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

This is Strange...

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 21, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I was talking with another member of the forum over the phone the other day and we were talking about what else, Motorcycles. We were talking about running rich or lean and he happened to ask if my pipes turned blue while I was on my run to WI with Red Rider. I said no they did not. He then concluded that I most likely wasn't running lean.

Now here is the "this is strange," moment. As we were talking he suggested to take a look at the insides of my pipes. He asked what those looked like. I said that the rear one look lightly coated with soot and the front pipe had a brown bronze colored tint to it......:wtf: I have never seen that....:wtf:

I just got back from taking it for a spin and it ran perfectly. So any suggestions???
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Most of harley motors rear cylinder tends to run rich front cylinder is the one you want to tune off of .only with a carb . Injected motors you want to tune both thats why it takes so long to tune them . With the race tunner or pc3 . Wide band is the way to go there . If the front cyl is bronze color it maybe a little fat but i would leave it alone . If it runs good dont fix it till its broke!. Rear cylinder is shrouded it tends to run a little hotter than the front any way .
  3. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I get what you mean by, "Don't fix it if it isn't broke." No I do not have efi. I just haven't had this type of condition with my bike in the two years that I have had it. I am not overly concerned with this. (YET) I know my bike very well and getting to know it better and better by the day. This is just something that I noticed that was out of the norm. Thanks BP. :cool:
  4. baggerpaul

:)johnny try not to guide yourself by the pipes as much as the plug chop method there. is alot that goes on with exhaust . they are staggerd and when you let off you are pullin in air as well temp of the pipes come up and go down . alot of diffrent things there . your plugs is what the motor is burning its your bore scope into the motor. your window if you will look at that way. i have duals on the bagger worst pipe set up there is if i were to guide my self by the looks at the tips i would have rejetted the carb again my plugs is what i look at thats it . you would have never looked at the pipes if your freind had not said something to you. some times its all in what you hear.:cool:
  5. JohnnyBiker

Not really saying that there is something wrong, I just have never seen that big of a difference between the two since I have had the bike. I have looked at the plugs and they are a little suspicious so I am keeping an eye on those as well. Not sure what you mean by this though.

" i have duals on the bagger worst pipe set up there is if i were to guide my self by the looks at the tips i would have rejetted the carb again my plugs is what i look at thats it . you would have never looked at the pipes if your freind had not said something to you. some times its all in what you hear.:cool:"[/QUOTE]
  6. baggerpaul

my tips always look like the bike is running rich and true duals dont make for good power . 2 into 1 is the way to go . and what i meant is some times we guide are selfs with wrong information that we hear from others thats all bro . we look for something to be wrong and its not .
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Most good tuners always tell yea that the rear cylinder will run a little rich for better cooling on the rear as the rear cylinder tends to run a bit hotter. Like others have said I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like its running OK. :)
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you are finding one muffler to be blacker
    than the other it might not be the same ol HD
    rear cyl running richer, each muffler has a specific
    bearing that is factory installed, if your rear muffler
    bearing has failed or become slower then the exhaust
    path is partially blocked and then soot appears.

Check the muffler bearing make sure it's loose
    and properly lubricated...
  9. baggerpaul

:rolleyes:Hrk you have great diagnostic mind i never thought of such a thing. Maybe next service i do gonna make sure my muffler bearings are in good shape:roflmao:
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

You forgot to tell him it takes A left handed monkey wrench , for proper adjustment.
  11. baggerpaul

Could be the flux connection at the coil cold solder joint in there could foul a plug
  12. baggerpaul

Are we gonna have 600 plus on this one also
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

if I don't post the pink softail,, maybe....
  14. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

You know, I knew that the mufflers had bearings! Everyone else just laughs.

You need the Entabulator to adjust 'em.
  15. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

yep, i had to replace my muffler bearings not long ago.

I guess my question is - don't any of you guys work?
  16. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Nope. Laid-off 22 months ago. Just odd jobs every now n then. You got one for me?
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I was laid off 3 years ago, have a part time gig now but that's ok with me, I'm on SS now at least as long as it last.
  18. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

No the Ford wrench works much better. :D
  19. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Lmao A big f--n hammer
  20. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

My muffler bearing had turned over, you know they are directional and the flow with the muffler bearin only flows true one way.
    I had to sit down and git some Anti Seize and take the muffler apart. Clean the bearings and install them so the flow would be right.
    With the flow being wrong, it builds up a lot of back pressure puttin undue stress on the rings and valve seats.:rant: