1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

This year's ride

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Hot01, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

OK, I'm a little gun shy about asking for suggestions, but...

I'll be able to get away from work in mid-September. Right now I'm thinking about spending a couple of nights at a posh hotel in the mountains (excellent employee discount) and doing some riding in the area, then heading west-southwest for some riding/camping. I might go to Telluride. I'm thinking maybe Vegas or the Grand Canyon. You guys did such a great job planning my western segment last year, I figured I could get some suggestions for rides focused in the southwest.

I was going to save the hotel for the end, but I don't want to be tied down and forced to get back in time.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i know you will get tons of help again.........have fun and i hope ya do a blog like you did on your cross country tripp.......you are an exellent writer!!!!!!:)
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Abby,

Don't go all the way to Vegas, that ride is boring unless you really need to go to the Hoover Dam. Theres so much to see in southern Utah and northern AZ that you'll fill up your time quickly.

I don't know much about hotels in the area but that's my $0.02
  4. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'll be camping except for the two nights in Aspen.

I went to Hoover Dam on a fly and ride with the ex a few years ago. I don't need to see it again.

Thanks Chuck. I've been writing some more in my blog lately. I was getting requests. I just wrote a chapter for Edward Winterhalder's new book about biker chicks. That should be interesting. It wasn't my topic of choice (the dead ex), but it's an opportunity to get in with the publisher. :cool:
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Unless it's change over the years I have to agree with Tom , but it's been a lot of years since I realy rode out west , except the little rideing around Albuquerque a few years ago , as far as your wirghting go'es yes please write on this trip as well , & I know if you get your pin in the door your off to your book , & when your on top of the book world please don't forget us here
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

We did a ride a few years back with CD, sleepy, SK and myself we all meant up in northern Arizona at a town called Springerville. Great ride lots of super roads like the road from Clifton back to Alpine on 191. Its called the Coronado Trail and what a road. Switch backs and corners that you wouldn't believe. You come directly out of Southern Utah to get there and of course Flagstaff is just to the west. Gee, maybe its time for another get together.
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

That sounds like a great idea! I'm assuming the temps will be more reasonable down that way at that time. I can always do the fancy-schmancy hotel thing for a weekend in August and get out for a week of pure down and dirty riding in September. Who's game?
  8. SK

SK New Member

Amen on the Coronado Trail. I've done 3 times now and it doesn't get old. Will be a little warm down by Clifton, but there are parts of the trail above 10,000' closer to Alpine, which is up near where CD goes fishin'.

If you make over to southern Utah, there's a great KOA campground a little north of Kanab that has camping cabins along the river. Zion NP is SW just a few miles and Bryce Canyon NP NE of there. I've got a 5 bedroom house in Las Vegas with a big pool, so you're welcome to spend a night if you make it to Las Vegas, but it's still breaks 100ยบ here in September, and it's at least 100 miles to almost anywhere from here.
  9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Bike Talk rendezvous on the Coronado Trail.......c'mon, so were you, right?

I, as many of you, even have my patch to ID me.

:cheers:
  10. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Absolutely. It would be a waste if Chuck's wife made all those patches for nothing.
  11. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with the coronado trail..there's some great riding in Southern Utah and northern AZ. I remember the rides in Springerville..this year's out for me but sooner or later it's time for another Bike talk ride.
  12. Red Rider

Bump

Any other takers? It's not close for most of us, but that makes it more special.

I have the most flexibility (or at least tied with the most) so I won't lock in any dates.

:cheers:
  13. Tomflhrci98

Keep us posted. I can't commit yet. It will probably be a last minute "what the hell" deal with me. Right now I got too many girlfriend, and money issues to plan ahead.
    Thanx
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

As muck as I would like too go , I havr the wife & grand kids , money issues:D
  15. Red Rider

As it is before deer season (as much as we know now) and after the dove opening weekend, oh - and after the kids are back in school - I think I can make it...hope so at least. Got to have another long ride this year!
  16. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

So it's at least you and me Red. I think Tom's money problems come from having too many girlfriends. He needs to rethink his priorities. :D
  17. Red Rider

Yeah, Abby, and Cowboy is mucking around too much! :D (Sorry, Cowboy, but your typo was too tempting)

I really do hope there'll be more than you and me (and that I actually can make it)....and so does my wife!:roflmao: C'mon, folks.....let's ride!
  18. Tomflhrci98

:roflmao: I was just starting to think that it sounded like I had a lot of girlfriends. Far far from it. I actually don't have a girlfriend I have a fiance.
    That's much much worse and we are going to get married in 2 months so that's worse again times 10.

I've decided to join the ranks of the miserable to see what it feels like.:banghead:
  19. Tomflhrci98

I was also thinking that I needed to apologize to SK. I didn't mean to say that Vegas is boring or the area around it is boring. (here's me sucking up to SK cause he has a big house and a big pool that I might want to stop by and check out :D )

It's actually very nice desert all the way from my house past Vegas to the south west corner of Utah. What I meant to say it that when the heat is up past 100 as I am sure most of you know, it can be a brutal ride. I've done it many times and as I get older I just dread it.
  20. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I know what you mean about the desert. I have some friends here who are all riding to California and are trying to determine the route. They want to go I-80, and this other guy wants to drop down and go I-70 to 15. I think they're all crazy and should take route 50 across Nevada. It'll still be hot, but what a great ride - and no traffic.