1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Thoughts on a future new bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Goose, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Goose

Goose New Member

Okay, I'm different, I'll admit that. I look upon a bike from a practical platform, usefulness. My bikes are as much about transportation as about style. My SV is my affordable fun. My OldWing is my mule, comfortable mule that I could afford.

Now, since owning that Wing, I've come to the conclusion that a touring bike is almost indispensable as a working ride. You have great luggage capacity, all lockable, why they call 'em "baggers". But, beyond that is the ability to tote a trailer which I've been doing a lot lately since these high gas prices are punching me in the gut when I show up at the Exxon speedy stop in my 14 mpg, big gas guzzling V8 powered 3/4 ton van. Three bucks a gallon and a 38 gallon tank?????? :eek:

Anyhoo, I really like lighter bikes. I don't like riding baggers that much, except that WOW, in the winter they shed the cold and rain and they sure are comfy. I really can't afford a Hog, used or new, and used wings are old before they become affordable. I have one of those, anyway. So, I'm back to thinking about standards with a good, big windscreen for winter riding, smaller fly screen for summer. Comfortable seat, either aftermarket or stock, and highway pegs for stretching on long rides. I've always liked the bikes with 17" wheels, but one side downer to that is the price of radial tires. You can only get the expensive rubber in 17". So, that's not the biggy it once was for me.

I can add racks (love the Ventura stuff like I've had on the SV and my old VX800 Suzuki) and soft luggage is fine with me. I don't need a bagger's lockable hard luggage, though it's nice. The one thing I DO need is a hitch!

I was on the Hitch Doctor site and noticed TWO bikes that interest me that have hitches available. One is the rubber mount Sportster. I've always liked sportsters. I'd want a 1200 Roadster of course, for the motor and brakes. I'd rather like better suspension. The XLS was my favorite (prefer a rubber mount, though), but it got dropped when the rubber mounts came out. I could get a sportster for under 10K new and in the future might could float that. Of anything close to a cruiser, the Sportster is the one bike I like. I don't care for the "low and fat" bikes that have become all the rage. I don't want that, personal taste. I like the Sportster's light weight and relative leanness.

The other was a Kawasaki Concours. Now, that bike was once known as a "sport tourer", but really anymore is more of a light tourer. It doesn't have a lot of sport by today's standards. It does have the removable hard panniers. I've ridden one, was faily comfy, but didn't like the buffeting behind the screen. It reminded me of my old GS1000 with a Vetter Vindicator fairing, been there, done that. But, it IS affordable!

I can't really do it at this point in time. I've just been thinking, ya know? You're never happy with what ya got I guess. :rolleyes: My old wing is mighty long in the tooth, though. I'd really like to replace it, but it's hard to replace that utility for a decent price. I wouldn't miss the evil handling of that thing, though. :rolleyes:

One thing it is good to know, though, is that there are trailer hitches available for other than the few touring baggers that are available. It's got me thinking about alternatives to the high priced two wheel cars.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  2. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I think the Concours is the biggest bang for the buck..it'll pull the trailer probably a little better than the sportster..I think the trailer will move the sporty around a little more than the Connie. hard bags are great..once you get used to using them you'll have a hard time going back to the soft removable luggage. SK's FJR is a sweet piece..the trunk is good too. My ST2 is a wonderful bike..fun, handles well..a lot better than this old cowboy can ride it..sounds great..nothing like a 90 degree twin..heck you know that! the drawback is that it is very expensive to maintain. As far as the Concours goes, I've seen guys with less skills that you have go really fast on them..it's a pretty good bike.
  3. Goose

Goose New Member

Yeah, it's an obvious choice, the Connie, I reckon. Mmm. Well, I've gotta pull the heads on the Oldwing soon. Seems one of 'em has a bad head gasket. Water is vanishing from my radiator. No leaks to find. Runs fine until the water gets low, then starts to heat up. Gotta be a head gasket. Fortunately, that's a fairly easy job. The heads just sorta stick out there. Anyway, head gaskets are cheaper than new motorcycles. :rolleyes:
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Goose, I know a lot of guys riding the older 1100 Wings and some have restored them to some really fine looking Goldwing's. Nothing wrong with them as they pack a lot and get you were your going. No, they don't corner worth hoot but when your packing for a big trip they sure are nice.

Bob, who makes the Connie? As for SK's bike, yea great bike lots of power, good handling but dang I could not sit in that position for very long. I rode from Salt Lake to Home in one day on the HD bagger but geesh I don't think I could do that on a bike that your legs are all cramped up. No offense to those who ride them just this old body would be stoved up on a bike like that.

Now my HD, Springer :D for a cruiser type bike really corners well. Its a kick to ride in the corners and is much better than the bagger.
  5. Goose

Goose New Member

The Connie is the old Kawasaki Concours, the original factory sport tourer. It's been around since the mid 80s basically unchanged. One of the things I never liked about that bike is there's no down tubes on the frame and no way to mount forward touring pegs on it. You can't really stretch out on it. I'm not adverse to high pegs and forward bars, though. My SV is more radical than any Connie. But, then, the SV is no touring bike. :rolleyes: I've done 400 mile days on it, think I might make 600 before my legs lock up and my crotch splits. LOL I sure does turn a corner, though!

Yeah, I really like the old 1100cc horse for long tours on the interstate. It's quite comfy and it hauls all my stuff. The trailering ability makes it almost indispensable to me in these times of high gas pricing. It's just old, not dead. Right now, I need to pull the heads on it, though. I think it's got a head gasket leaking cause I have a disappearing coolant problem that started a couple of weeks ago when I got trapped in stop and go traffic in 100 degree heat going to a flat track race. I'm quite sure it's a gasket problem cause I've trouble shot everything else. Fortunately, the cylinders stick out there making it a fairly easy job. It's been super reliable til this and it's so smooth and comfy out on the road, it's like a big two wheel couch. The thing only has about 65K on the clock, still a long while before anything like a rebuild would be necessary. I have been in need of fork seals for a while, but been putting that off. The radio interface went out, so I run a walk man through the tape player now. Just little nit picky stuff that's irritating and I often long for something new. But, I have a fairly new SV650 for play and commuting. The GL is just my work horse.

I reckon I need to fight these new bike urges. :(

Here's a pic of it getting ready for a trip to the track.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2005