1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Throttle cables....

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

:confused:Why do I see some bikes with one throttle cable and other have two cables?
    My 1983 FXE came with 2 and my 1970 FXWG came with 1 cable.
    Does anyone know the reason why?
    I am planning to replace the cable on my 1970 and I don't know if I should get 2 or 1.
    It has a S&S super E carb and a stock 1984 shovelhead motor.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you will only need one.....the sns uses one cable with a spring return. the cv uses 2, one for throttle and one for return....some kind of safty thing. i have some cv's that are only using one cable, as the return spring is sufficent to operate it.
  3. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks Chuck!!!
    What year did HD change the clutch cable to the style with the o hook in the handlebar end?
  4. chucktx

not sure about that...........why?
  5. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I am gonna replace the hand controls on my 1970 Fxwg to the 1996 and newer style but I don't want to buy a new clutch cable.
  6. chucktx

that is goin back a few years,,,,but i believe the cable should work in the new housing. i replaced the controls on my pan with mousetrap. used controls off a 90's sportster. i had to use the newer pin for the lever, as the old one was too short. should not be a problem.
  7. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Yes, the old pin is too short, gotta get one from HD. I did the conversion on my 83 FXE. Very nice going from the old square shaped control housings to the new 1996 rounded ones.
    I found some good black ones from a 2003 night train for $50, cables and all. The clutch cable has a big o shaped connector on the end so I might have to use my old clutch cable. Even in black paint they are 100 times nicer and than the old boxey housing. The handles are wider so they work better too.

Best upgrade anyone could do for their 'ole shovel baby~!
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Did that to my '90 heritage too..it does feel a lot better....clutch cable was no problem ,just put the pin in from 96-up....I think it was '82 when they changed hand controls....82-95 were the same controls if i remember correctly.
  9. KDiddy707

KDiddy707 New Member

My $.02... Buy one new cable and leave the older return cable on the bike. They are interchangable (at least on my bike) and usually aren't really adjusted right anyway so they're mostly just along for the ride and don't wear out as quickly. Now when your 'open' cable breaks in the middle of nowhere you have a spare. Ask me how I know:(
  10. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

The cables are not interchangable from 1996 and up. I know that fer sure. The holes on the throttle housing are different sizes so one does not fit into the other. Why HD did this, I don't know but I'm assuming there was some good reason for it. It's prolly a safety issue. Some a-hole somewhere prolly said his throttle got stuck open and sued HD so they had to install a second cable to pull the throttle closed. I am gonna keep my eyes peeled on e-bay for a nice set of used black housing take off 's from a 1996 and up and snag them.
    Only problem is I'll have to get new throttle cables. It's worth the investment.
  11. KDiddy707

KDiddy707 New Member

Not sure what you're saying about the holes being different sizes. I assume you're talking about on the twist grip. Interesting though that they would change that part. I don't ride those new-fangled contraptions anyway. My bikes are older. I know my '93 glide and '92 Dyna both use the same cable to open as they do to close. I assumed my '97 Sportster was the same but I can't recall now. Had a Mikuni w/ SS cable sheath when I bought it. I know I changed the grips but can't remember what is on it. It's hell gettin' old... Good luck with your project. k
  12. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

The holes on the 1996 and up switch housing that accepts the cable ends are different sizes. So are the cable ends. There are not interchangable.
    You think a '92 and a '93 are old? Ha, my bikes are a 1970 and a 1983. And I won't ride a Sportster either. Do you have pics of your bikes up on this site yet?
    Thanks for the good luck.
  13. KDiddy707

KDiddy707 New Member

Snob! I get it though. I feel the same way about Softails and V-Rods. Wouldn't take either as a gift if I couldn't sell it the next day. I like Sporties though. My first bike was an Ironhead. Second was an FXE. Many have come and gone since. I bought this Sporty for my ex. She's gone and the bike stayed. Thought about selling it but it's just so much fun to ride in the twisties. I'm almost 300# and it's a hoot to dust the 'Bikers' wearing financed leathers on TC Softails with my big ass sittin' on this little thing. I wear a full face helmet so they don't see me giggling when they catch up at the next light. I love all my bikes for different reasons. Can't tow the tent trailer with the Sporty but it sure is fun. They're all 'Adventure Bikes'.

Ps. I'll try to put up a pic.
  14. chucktx

true enough, but they will fit if ya get just a little bit creative!!!!:D
  15. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Okay KDiddy...
    Chuck, how? Do you grind down the connector to make it smaller and fit into the hole?
  16. KDiddy707

KDiddy707 New Member

Haven't figured out the pic posting thing just yet but I think my my profile pic is of the Sporty as it was the only bike related pic I had here at work on my laptop.
  17. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Hey KDiddy nice looking bike, for a sportster, Haha, just kidding, I like it.
  18. chucktx

open the hole with a drill bit.........CAREFULLY....as it is aluminum, and will drill quickly....a drill press works best.
  19. KDiddy707

KDiddy707 New Member

Sorry Tommyc. Didn't mean to offend anyone. My opinion is just that. Everyone's got one, right? Guess I should stick to riding them rather than talking about them. Looking forward to seeing the (re)finished bike. Good luck, k
  20. KDiddy707

KDiddy707 New Member

Whaaaah! :-( If I had a heart, it'd be breakin'.