1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

thunder header exhaust

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by t_ubinger, Mar 6, 2005.

1. t_ubinger

t_ubinger New Member

I am looking at installing a new exhaust on my 02 HD deuce. Preferably a 2 into 1 exhaust system. Anyone have thunderheaders and what is your opinions of them as far as bluing,sound and HP. All the stuff I read says they're the best performance pipes out there(what do you people think) but just don't look the greatest. Evan though I just found a model put out by Arlen Ness called thunder ness. They look pretty good. If I go with thunder headersI will probably go with these. If you have any pics that would be great too.

Also how do they compare to Vance & Hines pro pipe HS??\

Thanks for any info
  2. CD

CD Guest

Thunderheaders used to be the king of the hill for performance. From about the mid nineties until a year or three ago it was the pipe to use. The WB E-Series (gone away), V&H Pro pipe, D&D Fat Kats, Hookers, Bassanis and others all make good power and some will out perform the old T-Header. The T-Header has a faithful following and like points ignitions, some will never run anything but a T-Header. However, why limit yourself to a pipe that has quality issues, poor customer support and a design that has not been updated for many years?

The V&H Pro pipe, Bassani and D&D will all run as well as the T-header and the fit, finish, quality and support is hands down better than T-Header.

Another consideration is that unless you plan on getting pretty serious with your mods i.e. 103" radical cams etc you will never outflow any of these pipes capabilities.
  3. t_ubinger

t_ubinger New Member

thunder header info.

Thanks for the info man!! I am new to this forum and I love it so far, so if you don't mind I got some questions for you.
    Just curious...how do you know all of this info? What quality issues do the thunder headers have? Did you see the (new) thunder ness 2 into 1 pipes on Arlen Ness's website? Do you know anything about these pipes. Because if I do get them those are what I would get.
    I am also seriously considering the pro pipe hs. Do you know what sounds better and louder? Or anything about the V&H competitive baffle that you can get with the pro pipe hs.
    FYI;I ride a 02' softail deuce and want to start beefing it up a little. I know pipes ain't much but it's a start.
    Sorry for all the questions but that's what were all here for!! Later
  4. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Do NOT get the competition baffle for the V&H ProPipe HS if you go that route. For anything but a big inch high horse motor, they are reported to hurt the low and mid-range torque at the expense of top-end horsepower....not what you need for a street machine. I just got a ProPipe HS (standard torque baffle) and I can tell you it is one of the best sounding pipes I've heard...and the billet end cap with that biiiggg hole looks too cool. :D
  5. CD

CD Guest

Questions, questions, questions..

How do I know about T-hdrs problems? Well, being that I own DP and have dealt with many vendors / manufacturers in the last 15 years I have a pretty good basis. Since Jim Jr passed away things have changed a lot at Rich.
    As for issues? Bad chrome, cracking brackets, cracking pipes... I have sold a couple of the Thunder Ness 2-1 but, it is still a Rich products pipe with the Rich warranty. Different beer can, same beer.
    You do not need the comp baffle unless you want to hurt the bottom end Seahag has it right on.

As for knowing so much? compared to some of the brains in the performance industry I know about a grain of sands worth in a five gallon bucket. But, I have built a few fast cars and drove quite a few miles one 1/4 mile at time. I have turned wrenches since about age 12 and spent twenty years in the Air Force busting knuckles on all sorts of different stuff. I have always loved performance and have dabbled a time or two in the H-D side. ;)
  6. t_ubinger

t_ubinger New Member

tunable 2-1 vs. non-tunable.

Once again thanks for all the input and honesty. Surprised you don't deal with cars instead of cycles. Anyways, I now have questions about tunable and non tunable 2-1 pipes. Sounds to me you can adjust the output hole diameter(or what are you adjusting exactly??) to control back pressure to better calibrate your whole air flow system. So then what's about the 2-1 that are non-tunable. You can't get your bike tuned in as well with them and are just stuck with a OK set up?? :confused:
  7. maxxtee

maxxtee New Member

i have an o1 95 deuce built to max /woods gear cams/custom heads /mikuni45/108hp w40k miles no bluing /no problems just great sound and great numbers on dyno / i like them so much i am looking for info on 2 into one with false for my roadking
  8. maxxtee

maxxtee New Member

here is the deuce

Attached Files:

• bike.jpg
      bike.jpg
      File size:
      109.6 KB
      Views:
  9. dannyd

dannyd New Member

2 into 1

I installed a Python 2 into 1 exhaust on my bike and have been very happy with it. Sounds and runs great. Here is a pic.
    Danny D

Attached Files: