1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

thunder-jetting twin cams....

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Jan 31, 2005.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

ok everything is running fine with stage ONE (02wide glide carb)
    I used an ol' reliable CV off a sporty that is set up for a thunder jet.
    I changed the bowls but thinking about changing them back to see if the thunder will even be worth the while will the carb/stock heads "pull" in even more with the thunderjet to even mess with it ? or will just run rich though when ya punch it :rolleyes: anyone messed with em' to find out?...... it should help me after the port-n-polish headwork I am gonna get done,in the meantime was just gonna mess around,not in the market though of flooding out the rings any more than I into running it too lean and cooking it ;)
    Just gotta tinker with it!! if I end up with 1hp per cubic inch as it should be I'll be done. 88 is fine and the engine is there!!!...well unless I go tinkering to the 95' :D ...will it ever end?!??!? Not interested in MK or anything else the CV will work just fine.
  2. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

still looking for thoughts and opinions...

anyone? HR? CD? SEAHAG????
  3. CD

CD Guest

To tell the truth, I am not a fan of Thunderjets at all. If you cannot get a big enough main into the carb the normal way, it is time to go to a bigger carb that will allow a wider range of jetting options.

Also, I have seen the plugs of bikes that the Thunderjet was supposedly helping look like they were run for fifty miles with the enrichener on. A bike with this same symptom was thrown on the Dyno and made far fewer ponies than it did once we jetted it correctly.

I cannot say that Thunderjets do or do not work well on the drag strip but I do not favor them on street motors.
  4. Seahag

Seahag New Member

I put one on my CV when I noticed my pipes bluing (after wide open throttle runs). Before that point, during normal riding, :D the pipes weren't blue. I thought this meant I was lean on the top end and the thunderjet gave me a final fuel circuit to tune that out. I felt the bike ran well other than WOT so I wanted to leave my other jetting the same. I guess it worked in a sense because the bluing of my pipes didn't get any darker after that point. The thunderjet, as it was explained to me doesn't work until you are over 4000 rpm....then its supposed to draw additional fuel into the airstream. I think it has to work on the vacuum principle. Anyway once I had my carb reworked by Dakota Kid Carbs, I haven't needed it since. When the carb was sent back to me, DK told me to run it like they set it up before I started tinkering ...and that they didn't think I'd need the thunderjet any longer. So far I'd say he was right. I hope this helps you make your decision. I do think they can help...under the right conditions. By the way...since I only needed a little extra fuel on the top end...I went with the smallest jet size when I put on my thunderjet...and my plugs looked fine.
  5. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks

thank ya all!!!
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Thunderjets really work well on the S&S carbs because of the way the s&s transistions from slow to main.

Agree with cd.