1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Thundermax

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Jul 18, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Been waitin since last OCT for Thundermax to come out with a unit for the 08 Touring bikes

Got to doing a lot of Homework, found out about the Techlusion, its a better unit, after talkin farther, found out that the owner of techlusion sold Power Commander to go off and do a new company which is Techlusion. Techlusion sells the Arlen Ness Big shot to them.

Found out all the problems with going from low elevation to the mountains about PC also. And why the PC act up when it rains outside.
    The Vance and Hines and Big shot are very simular units,, but I found out the customer service with Vance and Hines is not as good as the Techlusion Big Shot, and the Fuel pack is more pickey on the kind of pipes you have on yer bike.
    They are presently workin on a unit that will auto adjust like the Thundermax does.

So I ordered a Big Shot from Arlen Ness and a Big Sucker Stage II air kit.

I'm waitin on Thundermax to come out with their unit in a few months.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The techlusion guy was at daytona when it first came out, he makes or did make the EFI pot based tuning units for everyone and they were simply rebadged units at the time.

I've messed with them the premise is that everyone is lean at all times.

Now from a stock bike that might be true if you pop on pipes and filter only, however once you get into big inch motors, big cams, lots of overlap, specialty pipes you can actually be rich and need to dial back, so it's restriction is it can only add fuel and it cant do squat for timing.

However for just a little bump in fuel it's ok, did you get the harness plugs on yours so you don't have to cut wires or splice stuff etc.
  3. cardboard

They said it was all Plug an play, I think you lift the tank according to the instructions and disconnect the fuel injectors and plug the plug from the Big Shot into them

http://www.arlenness.com/pdf/18-602.pdf

The unit along with the Big Sucker less a Cover is being shipped to me
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

BTW my bud has a new 105th Softail and he has the thundermax, they upgraded and reprogrammed some bugs out at Bike week, is it only the touring bikes they don't have done?

Bet it has to do with all the programming for the Fly by wire an cruise stuff.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup, the more garbage ya add, the more engineering it is gonna take to handle it.....bet it raised the price a bit also............:)
  6. cardboard

The standard Thundermax will fit the softail. Its very important that you git the right base map and make sure you check the closed loop box and clear the IAC and learn curves.
    The kind of pipes you have effect the Auto tune also. Cycle Shack pipes don't work as well with autotune .
  7. cardboard

Anybody in the Houston area got a Big Shot and adjusted it. It gives you about 5 seconds to do something and then its back to start mode. :banghead:
  8. cardboard

Well I got my Arlen Ness Big Shot Tuner and the Big Sucker Stage II in tuesday and put it on the bike, when I got it on it started rainin and rained till this afternoon.
    Took the bike out for a 60 mile ride this afternoon. No heat on the leg.
    Now I will wait till the sun is up and try it.
    But the bike ran very good and I haven't even adjusted the unit.