1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Thundermax

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Dec 11, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I will be gittin up early in the mornin. Will be driving over 80 miles.

Heard about a class in Houston, Tx. that Thundermax is puttin on. I called them and asked if I could attend they said yes and faxed me a inviation to the shop.
    Will see what I can learn and hope I can retain a lot of it at my age.
    Man its gonna be hard to go to sleep tonite. never thought I would git to go to one of these classes.

Mabe they will tell me when I can git one for my 2008 FLHT. Been waitin for over a year. Would help advance me buildin my bike sooner too.
    :D
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

sounds cool! let us know what you find out!
  3. steveb

steveb Active Member

I would be very interested to know what you find out. I have been waiting for them to come with a unit that will work on my '08 Ultra.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

at your age ya better take the ol'lady to take notes!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
    have fun!!!
  5. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

Thunder Max Auto Tune

I live 40 miles from Zippers where I bought my TM for a 2008 Heritage. They suggested I go to someone whom they recommended to have it installed and initial tuning done. After this backyard tech installed the unit I had severe decel popping and backfiring. I took it back to him and he finally gave up and said that was normal. Having had similar problems with Rev Tech Dfo's and Power Commanders, I always managed to get them set up so as to have none of the above problems. Then I called Zipper's and raised hell as the TM is really expensive. They said, bring the bike down here and we will take care of the problem. They could not get rid of the decel pop either even after confering with their engineers in the next room. I finally had it taken off and had my SERT System put back on. My money was refunded. I am very satisfied with the SERT System, no decel pop or backfiring and I get fairly good mpg. I know their will be a lot of disagreement with my reply but as far as I am concerned they still haven't perfected the the TM for the 2008 yet:angry:
  6. cardboard

I had the sert. it too gave me problems. I've had the TM and it gave me more power and better fuel milage and the bike ran better.
    I had Decmil pop with a STOCK bike and with a SERT.

Got a buddy that his bike was hard to crank and was giving him some problems. After he went to the dealer 3 times. Installed a TM with A/T and his bike cranked and ran better.
    Make changes on yer bike with the sert and you need to have it redynoed. The sert can't adjust AFR's. The TM can.
    A lot of times what kind of pipes you have will be why yer bike will not tune well with or without a TM

If Poping is your main problem, I would leave stock pipes on yer bike and leave it stock. When you go to low restriction pipes you can git decmil pop.

Glad to hear you got yer bike like you wanted it.
  7. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

Hrd Rider

Cardboard, My 1st Dyno Setup on my SERT was a disaster even though the tech was supposed to be the best Dyno Tuner in the area. That is why I then bought a TM A/T. After having the TM Dyno Tuned I still had the same problems with decel pop and backfiring. That is when I asked for my refund and had the SERT putback on and found ( by luck ) a young kid at a different dealership that knew what he was doing. I know the TM is supposed to constantly adjust the A/F Ratio thru out the RPM range and for various elevations etc. where the SERT has minimal adjustment. My print out on my last Dyno,A/F Ratio is 13.2 out to 5500 RPM, 73 HP and 87 TQ. My gas mileage is 38--43 MPG running 65--75 MPH. I also have a friend with a 2008 Rocker C and a TM A/T and he is dissatisfied with his also.:angry:

2008 Heritage
    SERT System
    K&N Hi Flow AC
    Rinehart Slip On Mufflers.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

HD made a lot of changes with 07's and 08's,

Throttle by wire changes the way the TM people have to address the new ECM as they replace the HD ECM. So it's not as simple as before which was basic timing fuel etc. Now you have to open and run the throttle, cruise etc.

First year's always a beeatch on any new bike.

Even HD's having issues with the fly by wire, some over revving, sometimes you turn it off and if you dont have the throttle at zero position it will retain the new rpm as the idle rpm.

TM will eventually get it right, JMO I'd skip anything but pipes and filter on an 08 and ride it for at least a year, or a little more, no warranty issues then look for a TM in 10.
  9. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Let me know how the visit with thundermax goes. I've been on their waiting list to try one out for a couple months and hope to hear something soon.
  10. cardboard

Thundermax is coming out with a Bluetooth model when they release the 2008 bikes models. That means no more cords hooked up to it man. Right on.

James said if the metal part of the Oxygen sensor is touching other metal parts on the bike the oxygen sensor wont work.
    If you have the wire coming out of the oxygen sensor bend in a 360* it ain't gonna work;

When you load the base map program you need to have it to the closest cam to match yer cam for the ignition timin.

James said if you change the ignition timin to make it run better, it will use more gas.

HD has their bikes setup for EPA reulations, and to git as close to 50 Miles to a gallon as they can. This means they have to run lean.
    A stock fuel injeted harley is operating in Narrow band closed loop. If you install a sert of a TTI master tune, you are tuning the bike for the oxygen, and temperature and elevation that you are in right now. It can't change. Its set to the enviorment that you are in when its tunes.

If it gits warmer during the day, its not tuned for that.. Its in a open loop and runs on the program its programmed for. It can do nothin else.

A open loop like the SERT and the TI master tune operates like this.
    1. It goes from the ECM BAse Map to the Air Fuel Spark to the engine operation

A closed loop goes from the ECM Base map to the air fuel spark to engine operation to the wide band oxygen sensors to the auo tune module and you git Immdeiate feedback with updated parameters to the Base map.

You can use the IAC leaned curves and use them as a base map.

7 guages will open automatically in 2008, they are fixin to release a new update for yer operating software. Update regular for a few weeks.

So if yer interested in the TTS Master Tune yer operation in open loop on a set program. Its tuned for the enviorment you tuned it in and thats where it will stay man.

TM thinks hd is going to go bigger closed loop later on. They have already come out with narrow adjustment in 07 and above on the stock bike.
  11. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

While reading this thread I had a thought. What if someone could make a O2 sensor that was identical to the HD stock sensor but faked the feedback signal to the ECU to think it was 14.7:1, but was actually something like 13.7:1. That would force the ECU to pulse the injectors that much more. Or if this “raised” injector signal causes a ECU code then maybe you could simply replace the fuel regulator with one that bumps up the fuel pressure. All you need is two O2 sensors and a pressure regulator. I guess that would be too easy.

You hot rod guys know that when you put on a supercharger on your car they sometimes give you an intake air meter that fakes the signal to the ECU and a fuel pump regulator that raises fuel pressure and is adjustable. On cars you are not worried about heat so you are not worried about changing the AFR. So it has been done with fake air meters, it is just too bad we can’t get fake O2 sensors and they wouldn’t need to be wide band either.
  12. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Tom, there is an O2 sensor "fake" that uses an inline voltage divider to fool the ECM into seeing a different reading from the sensor. It works ok with very mild modifications (SE slipons or aircleaner) but not so great with performance pipes or cams.

Cardboard, did they mention when the new Thundermax will be available for the 08's? Personally the bluetooth sounds nice but its not a big deal to me. Once its set up I wouldn't need to hook up. I just want what has already been shown to work so well on the 07-earlier models.

Until then I'm riding with the Super Tuner mapping in open loop since the narrow band O2 sensors makes closed loop far too lean for the performance I want.
  13. cardboard

Thundermax said it had to be near perfect, so they didn't have any liability and you didn't git hurt from a run away throttle.
    Their prediction is sometime after the 1st of the year. They will probaly hold out till after the bike show up north where all the people unvail their new products.
    Needless to say, I've been waitin since oct of last year. I'm as eager as everybody else to git one.

The blue tooth will be great since you don't have to carry a cord around with you and some bikes like the softail don't have room to leave the cord hooked up all the time.

Talkin about the AFR's. A TM is richer when you 1st crank yer gike. and when it takes off it's rich, it leans out when yer riding on top end more.
    It will crank easier with it rich and it will take some heat off when yer sittin still and in traffic.
    You can adjust the predicted AFR's to where you want them. If you want the aft's to stay toward 14 you can set them to be around there.

You don't want the Tm running at the same AFR's all the time to make it run good at idle and you can't git good milage with the same AFR's at idle runin on top end. you want the bike to lean out more on the top end for fuel milage. That's why Stock harleys run so hot and git such good fuel milage. They are in EPA mode and run lean all the time. HD seems to pride themselves on the fuel milage. But the heat is pretty tough on the person riding the bike when they arn't moving.
    I have the advanced software and don't know all the features of it.
    But you can use the IAC code ajustments to build a map if you turn it on and watch it work.
    TM wants to make their unit more and more to where you can simply plug and play after you git the correct base map program.
    How the bike runs and what kind of fuel milage it gits greatly depends on what kind of pipes you have on the bike.
    No pipes if gonna perform like a good 2 into one.
    They show that the Reinheart duals doesn't make the power of a good 2in1 pipe Like the D&D and the Supertrapp.. They was showing where the thunderheader don't make the power of the good 2in 1 pipes either.
    They also was talkin about when you have a sert done with a stock pipes and the reversion from the pipe, when the packin wears out that the way the bike runs when its tuned with a open loop program like the sert.
    Know myself and others never take this into effect either.
    The fastest way to adjust a thundermax it to ride it 200 miles and stop and cut the motor off and back on many times for learning curves.
    I think when TM actually comes out with the program you will like the heck out of it.
    I've used a Tm on other bikes. You can adjust yer top end limiter and rev limiter and if needed you can adjust yer timing, which is really dangerous.
    One of the most important things is to remember the o2 sensor can't tough metal, the wires can't be bent over and you need to match the base map closest to the cam that's in yer yer bike. Make sure you have closed loop checked !!!!!! If Closed loop is not checked it can't auto Tune. And if you don't plug the auto tune cord into the cord on the bike that the dealer plugs his computer into to read it it ain't going to auto tune.
    If you have a problem call Tech Support and ask them what map they would suggest. They can help build you a map for yer setup if its not in the base map program and email it to you and you can use the TM software to install it in the Tm and run the bike.