1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Timing adjustment and dyno run

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by baggerpaul, Oct 1, 2011.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

well got it on the dyno for a couple of pulls 4 and 5 gear runs 74.94 and 82.50 and im lean at top end 3700 13.55 and all the way to 6000 14.06 time for a 200 main im at 195 now low end im fat might have to try another needle or heavier spring when i wack the throttle its dropping down to 10.9 the slide is openning to fast or the taper is a little small. all in all it made good power and torque and for a 1450 it pulled to 144mph running on the lean side not unhappy. ill rejet and try it again timing seems very good and im on the lean side and still no ping!!!:D
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

What was your torque?
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Is that with the aftermarket cv carb ?
  5. baggerpaul

82.50 torque went 144 mph on the dyno but i was on the lean side i pulled it to 5900 cuz it was getting to 14.8 .
  6. baggerpaul

still the cv cowboy!!!
  7. baggerpaul

i want to get this carb perfect as can be then im gonna try the iso performance carb . when i know this carb is jetted just perfect . i will duplicate the set up on the iso performance carb and try it . i was going to put the aftermarket on and try it with the cv kit . but i have the kit in this carb and im rich on first wack and lean on the top end so i gotta rethink my carb set up then illl duplicate . im on the needle for just a bit then on the main for the rest of the pull so ill play with it after octoberfest regular riding its just fine just like to know at wide open that im not to lean at 3200rpm at 80 im at 14.2 .14.5 so im ok for fuel economy and roll on it stays aroun 13.7 13.6 thats just fine and lean motors have a crispy throttle reation any way it aint running hot im cool with if it was not happy it would not have made that torque
  8. baggerpaul

gotta go have been waitng almost hour and a half to take the wife out for dinner now shes ready see ya! bout time
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

10. baggerpaul

dyno sheets you can see the major drop in torque and horse power were it was very fat then it starts to pull as it leans out . keep in mind guys this is in forth and fith gear with a load on the motor as well. i wanted to make sure as i was putting advance in it would not ping and the pulls were from very low rpm
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  11. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Can't really see the charts that well....But are you adding the timing as you are making the pull or is that not possible??? What did it do without adding the advance??
  12. baggerpaul

the advance was in it when i did the pull and then i add more the last pull was when i got the most torque out of it 82 .50 . the pull before it was like 76 so it pick up quite a bit of torque almost 6 lbs it likes the timing im at like 67 foot lbs at 3500 thats very nice and it pulls from there thats great passing torque for a 1450 twin cam. all right back to work see ya. i did my pulls luggin the motor from 1500 to 5900 in 4 and 5 gear so the slide was jumping cause i was at wide open from 1500 to 5900 thats why its very fat at low rpm , chances are that true riding going down the road that is not happening but know one even said any thing to me about it . i dont think the guys like me to much on the fourm .? i think they feel im some kind of smart ass and im far from it . dont want to come off that way at all but thats life came up with that idea of the slide last night looking at the charts the pulls were from way low in the rpm range . and riding in this morning it pulls like a bear out the hole . spank a 96 road glide on the turpike out the hole like he was standing still he pulled on me in fourth but i had im till then . so it cant be that rich in the real world. it would fall flat on its face . you cant duplicate what we do riding on the dyno but its a great tool for wide open and hp and torque readings and air fuel at constant rpm . and if you make changes you can see if its good or bad ya know ?
  13. baggerpaul

i cant even kick a hornets nest and get a reply !!!!! when you guys read the post can you tell me if im on track with the slide . as far as it comming up to fast
  14. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean by this. That is why I don't live or die by what the dyno says. You explained this very well and is a good example. In "REAL WORLD" riding, you spanked a bigger engine with what the "dyno" basically said was a poor performing set up. Here is the key I think, and you and I have mentioned this in a different format, is that when you are going down the road, you are forcing more air in the engine. Much like a "RAM AIR"set up on a big ass Hemi. When you are on the dyno, the engine isn't bringing in the air that it does when you are actually riding.....JMO
  15. baggerpaul

i agree with forsing air in the filter as well and the fact that im also bringing the motor up in rpm and not lugging it down in 4 and 5 to see if it will ping and then pull to high rpm . im also not wacking the throttle in 4 gear while luggin the motor on the street . should have done a pull from 2000 in 3 gear and then looked at air fuel . i kinda tuned for mph and ping . dont have all the time in the world to play when someone lets you use thier dyno did not want to wear out my welcome . any way i would still like to know about my thoughts on the slide from the gray beards out hear . they have alot of knowledge about carbs on these twin cams evos and sportys .!!:)
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

The little bit I know about these TC,s your good , you don't ride WOT all the time ( or should'nt be) so being a bit lean up top should'nt hurt you , & if it's good from the bottom to mid range your good , I used to just be able to tune my shovel by ear & looking at the ends of the pipes & spark plugs , with this piss poor gas these days you can't really tell anymore going that way unless the S plugs stay the same light tan color & both are real close in color , If it was me I would ride it some & go from there , you said it's not running Hot & thats a good sigh
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just saying don't start the dyno pulls that low, 2500 is goo enough to get a picture
    no reason to be hard on it, many an engine has left it's soul on the dyno....

Big dip in there probably exhaust related, can't remember what all you did to the
    engine, Bike should go rich to a point and then lean out as it gets up in the RPM but not too much, won't matter as long as you don't do 3 hour WOT rides across Nevada, but for max power going lean as it throttles up is not bad just needs to be controlled.

I would try a larger main jet and do a pull see what happens, once you get that
    done look at a different needle (sporty or CV Kit) and possible smaller pilot jet.

If the spring isn't stock, swap it back. A good run on the dyno with a CV
    properly tuned will have a smooth arc on the TQ curve.

As to pulling a bigger engine with more power lots of things are factors
    riding ability (you may be better) throttle response, weight, gears etc.
  18. baggerpaul

thanks hrk ! its still the rineharts and i started the pulls from way low 1500 . so my thinking was that the slide slid all the way up and the pump squirted at the same time . she never fell flat on her face on the dyno she pulled strait up slowly . just that big dip was there were it was flat rich 10.5 it dont act that way at all on the street but i dont lug it . never had a carb bike on the dyno and never had a dual set up on a dyno myself seen them on there seen the sheets but then again no one at the shop had done advance slopes on a daytona twin tec unit before and has done what i did on the dyno . so will all learn something new on sat . i also had both pipes on the sniffer as well.
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

More worried about the hits the crank is taking from a 1500 rpm start to move the drum

Try it from 2000 or slightly higher when you whack it to wot.

See what the far does

Get the carb close then play w timing
    And then tweak fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. baggerpaul

30 percent load on drum and I went up in rpm till i got to 4 and 5 then let it drop back down and then restart the pull drum was rolling and only two pulls the rest were for mph