1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tinging noise at mid RPM Help

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jwetovick, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jwetovick

jwetovick New Member

I have noticed a noise when accelerating from lower rpm. Don't have a tach on my RK but would guess in the range of 2,000 rpm. Almost like its 3 tinging noises (not sure how else to describe it). But its a quick 3 noises and once rpm get a bit higher don't hear it again??? Not an expert by any mean but seems like would be coming from trany??? Any help would be much appreciated!
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I would start by checking the tran fluid , & then make sure every not & bolt 7 bolt on's are tight , heat shields extra chrome or anything that bolts/screws on the bike
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what cowboy said.........especially heat shields....some times the spotweld will break where the clamp is attached......
  4. duke76

duke76 New Member

It isnt preigniton is it? try some octane booster with your gas and see if it improves, it is very hard to describe the sound over the internet so if you know what preignition sounds like and that noise isnt it, disregard what I wrote, Todd
  5. duke76

duke76 New Member

The more I think about this the more I think it is preignition, it happens just like you are describing it, It can eaither be overly lean or the ignition timing is to far advanced, Is the noise worse when the bike is hot? What mods have been done, stage 1? is it carbed or fuelie and if a fuelie has it been tuned on a dyno?
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

watch where you are buying fuel, some places are running over 10% Ethanol and that stuff kills motors. Especially HD

Causes my buds 07 FLUltra to stall..

He keeps a can of octane booster from the dealer in the tour pack,

Buy fuel from a well used location and buy super and watch out for ethanol laced juice.

Shell is one of the best, Sunoco, Mobil,
  7. duke76

duke76 New Member

OK after reading your other post under the efi and map forum I am about 99.9 percent sure your problem is with your fuel management, You are to lean and your true duals make it even harder to tune, dont get me wrong I love true duals and I have them on my bike, but, it makes it a bitch to tune, I would seriously look into a thundermax if you are set on keeping your true duals, it is probably the best thing I put on my bike and I love it, Todd
  8. jwetovick

jwetovick New Member

Thank You

Thanks much for the help Duke! What are some noticeable ways to know for sure if the bike is running too lean. I have checked plugs, look just fine. However it seems like my bike runs a bit rough at idle compared to other bikes I ride with? I am having a heck of a time with the FuelPak as you read in the other post. I hate to just can it since I just bought it last fall and have only put about 5k on bike since then. Do you happen to have some experience in tuning a fuel managment pak?? Im not sure what each code means exactly, Im have just been going with any help Fuel Pak gives me (which is not much) actually starting to piss me off to put it lightly. I have got plenty of upgrades and am not sure if I have even been able to see 'just' what it can do! Once again thank you for your input!!
  9. jwetovick

jwetovick New Member

Thanks Man

As for fuel, I have had plenty of arguments with friends and others with just what fuel to run through the bike. Is a person better off to run say 87 w/ less if any Ethanol and then add some octane booster at each fuel up, or to put in say 93 where possible at the pump??? Thanks again for the help!
  10. jwetovick

jwetovick New Member

Duke

A quick question for you. How bad is preignition if at all? Im sure worse mileage? I cannot honestly say I know what preignition sounds like.
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

It sounds kinda like shaking marbles in a tin can...also called spark knock.
  12. duke76

duke76 New Member

preignition can burn a hole in your piston in short order if continuous for long enough, I am not sure how the fuel pak works but if you can, give it more fuel in the low end, my cobra had 3 dials on it , I would try givivng more fuel in the bottom pot (green on my cobra) and see if thst helps, otherwise like I said the true duals will make adjusting that a bitch because your fuel management just cant handle adjusting both cylinders individually, You would be better off with a thundermax or sert or pc3 but with the sert or pc 3 you would also have to have it tuned by a dyno operator, Todd
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Plug reading is best left to NASCAR teams with high tech equipment

There isn't any lead in todays fuels so you really can't get a good reading

However look at the plug for specs, usually when detonation occurs you'll see tiny specs on the white part (but that's not always the case)

Black means it's fouled

A light tan is preferred but like I said with unleaded you can't really tell with the naked eye.

I run high octane no matter what, it costs me at most a buck a tank extra over 89. And the HD manual tells you to run higher octane and keep a bottle of octane booster with you to add to the fuel if you get caught in a high ethanol area.

As to the Fuel Pak, I would contact V&H and explain the problem and perhaps they have a suggested starting map for you or which direction to move the map.

FUel paks I think are premade maps unlike a powercommander where you can add and remove fuel and timing per % of open throttle to rpm on a fuel pack you change the whole map. It's a bit lower on the tuning scale but useable.
  14. Cracker

Cracker New Member

How many miles are on the motor & what year is it?
  15. moresquirt

moresquirt New Member

Had my previous bike do that,it was detonation,Had to much compression for the type of fuel i was using which believe it or not was 91 octane but with Ethenol.After i change to 91 with NO ethenol everything was fine.With lots of previous ecperience with carbs and fuel injected sled motors i found that Ethenol will lean you out approx 1 and 1/2 main jet sizes so if you fun that fuel you need to jet up.Now if you have a FUEL INJECTED motorthere really is little you can do other than remap,add octane boost(not always a fix) or retard the timing a few degrees till it stops but that retard will lose you a little power but will save your motor.If you are running pipes and A/C or other mods (your already on the edge)and you add Ethenol to the mix then that will cause detonation in the cylinder and eventually you will have a hole in your piston among other things! Try a non eth fuel and test then do the remap with more fuel at that stage,if its still pinging then cheak for air leaks around the motor and finally adjust timing if all else fails.Good luck
  16. jwetovick

jwetovick New Member

The bike is an 04 with 26k. Motor work was all done when new.
  17. Mayor

Mayor New Member

May not help....I had sound that sounded near the same.....sprayed some WD-40 where the pipes attach to the jugs while idling....if it effects it or kill the motor you have a leak and need to change the seals around the pipes......happened to me and made a noice and ran hot....Maybe or maybe not.....hope that helps...good luck
  18. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Definitely sounds like pre-ignition. Had it on my 03 and took the bike into the shop and had it checked. Was definitely running to lean and had it reset, ran great.