1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

TIps for perking up my 07 Ultra Classic

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RDean, Jul 17, 2007.

1. RDean

RDean New Member

I recently purchased my first Harley! It's a 2007 Black Pearl Ultra Classic. To date it's as stock as it gets! I just parted with a 04 Goldwing and so far I have not been dissatisfied in any way with my harley. I would like to perk this one up a bit and maybe get some true harley throat out of it as well. What suggestions do you all have for me? Keep in mind that I am retired and not independently wealthy! Should I consider true dual exhaust, new mufflers, air cleaners, ?????? I want to hear that true Harley roar but I guess I also want to hear the radio and the wife when she's talking to me.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I set of slip-on mufflers will give you the best bark for your buck. If you are trying to remain fairly stock then go with the Screamin Eagle mufflers which will still give you better sound and performance than stock. According to the factory you are supposed to be able to upgrade mufflers on the 07-08 without a map upgrade. If you decide to do both mufflers and aircleaner, or if you go with a whole new exhaust you'll need to remap. Others I like are the V&H and Rush.
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Hear the wife when she's talking????? :confused: :roflmao: :roflmao:
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

welcome rdean........and if you are kinda mechanicly inclined, with a few tools and your SERVICE MANUAL, you can do a few mods yourself and save a lot of money. you will also get a bit of pride and knowledge doing it yourself....
  5. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

rdean, chucktx is right about pride in fixing it yourself, I put new rotors and pads on with the help of my service manual, changed the plugs, took off and cleaned the carb and reinstalled it. I took it out for my first real road test today and if you all remember the "Road Warrrior" Animal, "WHAT A RUSH!!!". feels good knowin' you are the one that made it sound and ride that good.Welcome and enjoy the grat minds in this forum. Mine isn't included in that by the way:D
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

rdean welcome , I have to agree with ken , a good set of SE slip on's will do the trick , just do some checking on line & check to see what a dealer want's for them
    :cool:
  7. Clem

Clem New Member

Ken is correct on the slip-ons. The warranty thing may be something to consider too. Stay close with your dealer and their warranty/service department so that you don't cross a line with them. Besides, they like to tell you what you need! You can work on the bike yourself with their praise, but you must 'work' them a little to keep it on the up and up (during the warranty period that is..:devil:)
  8. RDean

RDean New Member

Thanks for the tips! I been thinking a set of Rush mufflers with the 1.75 baffle for a start. They tell me at the shop that if I go any larger than the 1.75 I will need to map it. (what ever that is??) Maybe go to the true dual exhaust and the air upgrade next year. I think the V&H would have to much bark for me now and the SE's seem pretty expensive. At least at the HD shop they surly are!
    Thanks Again for the help,
    RDean
  9. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Let us know what you think of the Rush mufflers on your Ultra Classic.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You may find the Rush mufflers to be louder than you like, my buddy got them expecting a nice quiet performance muffler, they are as loud as a set of Reinharts maybe louder.

If you want a good set of slip ons for performance and little sound increase then the new Supertrapp Quiet slip ons offer both.

You could go to a set of V&H true dual headers later.

I would consider adding the SERT (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner) and the Ness big sucker air filter over the HD SE Filter.

HD's filter is no longer a washable K&N type filter, and must be replaced each time at additional expense.

The SERT would allow you to make a map change with a laptop and as you change down the road to maybe cams, 103 etc.

At a minimum the slip ons from Supertrapp JMO would be good.
  11. RDean

RDean New Member

Hotroadking,

I rode with a group over the weekend and one of them just installed a set of 1.75" Rushes on his Heritage and it wasn't loud at all. Infact I think my stock pipes had about the same bark. Then yesterday I heard a Road King at the local Harley shop fire up with 2.00" Rushes on it and they were extremely loud! Way to loud for me for sure! Not sure which way my Ultra would sound now!

Thanks RDean
  12. chucktx

to answer your map question.....that is when they change the "language" in the on board computer to match the changes you have made to the bike. this keeps the bike from "destroying" itself......hope this helps a bit.....
  13. RDean

RDean New Member

Chucktx,

Thanks for the response on the mapping. Is this really something I could do in my own garage with a laptop or should I bite the bullet and take it to the Harley shop and let them do it? I am pretty mechanical so I'm sure I could get through it but not sure if its more technical or just plain mechanical.

RDean
  14. chucktx

i have never owned a bike with fuel injection, but there are those here that have. i know that some puters can be done at home, but others cant. there is a section on here that addresses maps and even has map codes. that may help some, but im sure some one with more knowledge will chime in...sorry..
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Can you run MS word, Excel, or any other program, are you good with hooking up cables to a laptop and the bikes ECM?

As long as you are comfortable and follow the directions exactly as prescribed you'll be fine.

It takes more time to open up the file and load the program than it does to load a map to your ECM.

If you dont' feel comfortable let the dealer do it, but it's pretty simple.

You will need a 9 pin serial port on your PC to hook up a 9 pin to 9 pin cable that runs from the pc to the dongle (HD's special ID locking tool) for the SERT, if you have only a USB port you'll need a usb to 9 pin converter, and in some cases I've seen one not work with the program.

You load the software
    Hook up the cables,
    Search and load the proper map (using the map list you'll find one for a 07 stage1 slip on mufflers and se air filter)
    Load the map in the software (menu driven)
    Get the software ready to load the ECM (menu driven)
    Turn on Bike igntion and have run switch on.
    Click for the program to start it will find the ECM, show the ECM number marry the dongle to the ECM and load the program.

DO NOT

turn off the bike or run switch during the load, nor do you want to try and stop the load from the pc let it finish.

It will take 30 to 40 seconds to upload the file.

then:

When it tells you it's ok to turn off the ignition do it then.

Disconnect cables

Start the bike.

Pretty simple if you can read and understand the instructions and the bits of the bike and PC they are referring you to deal with, if not, get someone that does to help or get the dealer to do it.
  16. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

Rdean

Ive Got A 07 Also. Put On A Set Of True Duels From Vance And Hines. Stage One Kit, And A Power Commander, What A Difference. Got The Parts From (powerracing.com) They Downloaded The Power Commander Right There, And You Pay No Tax On What You Buy. Cheap Fix
  17. exegesic

exegesic New Member

Hopping up a Harley

I installed a set of Rinehart True Dual, a Terminal Velocity, and an SPP air cleaner. Wow. Now she runs the way she should. I hooked up with the Axiom Cycles Axiom Cycles: Home - Harley Davidson Parts,custom motorcycles,choppers,bobber motorcycles,rolling chassis. They had the best prices and they explained the differences between the different pipes and ECU units to get my bike dialed in. In this day and age it isn't often you get someone to spend time giving you this kind of help.
  18. chucktx

i know what ya mean....that is one of the biggest things i miss about direct parts....there quality of service, and customer support!!!
  19. TERRY50

TERRY50 New Member

Hey Guys

I Bought The Vance&hines Big Shot True Duels, Dyna Power Commander. They Dialed The Commander In Right At The Factory. Tell Them What You Have On The Bike, Bingo, Bike Runs Great. Oh Ya,a Stage One Kit Is Also On The Bike