1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tire Poll

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bharris, May 16, 2004.

1. bharris

bharris New Member

I hope I'm not dragging up an over-used thread but curiosity is getting the best of me! I have an '03 Ultra Classic, less than a year old.....16,000 miles on it. It came with the stock Dunlop D402 tires which the rear wore out and was replaced at about 10,000 miles. My experience with MC tires is this is about the norm, I believe.

Just curious as to what type tires everyone runs on their bike and about what mileage they are getting out of them. I'm not too concerned with getting more miles nor changing brands but if someone has had better luck with something else a lot of us may want to have other options. I also have a V65 Magna (Honda) which came with Dunmlop Qualifiers as original and we are all of the opinion they really suck. I put Metzeler steel belted MEZ2's on it and it corners sooo much better and all around handling is way better. Tread life so far is good, they have about 7K on them and still plenty to go.

If anyone would like to share their opinions and/or thoughts I for one would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

I have owned bikes from rice burners to alot of Harleys. And I have gotton around 3,500 to 4,000 miles out of my Dunlop tires (rear). The way a back tires performs around milage mostly is determined how hard a person drives, (does a person go thru every gear full throttle?). Also how much are you hauling? (How much do you weigh?, 120LBS? or 300LBS?, are you totting a passenger?, luggage?). Do you live in an area with lots of switch backs or like here in Wyoming its mostly flat counrty. And lastly the right amount of air pressure is very critical, so keep the right pressure in the tires you run with. I have freinds that get 5,000 to 7,000 out of the rear Dunlop tire, but they drive like old men on geritol. The tire that people run are as wide open on what people like in there exhaust, everyone has there favorite. I like Dunlop because I have never had a flat,(Knock on wood), and Harley Davidson guarantees that they will stay on the rim if you should happen to get a flat. Hope this helps out. Ride Safe David.