1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tire question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by sbeamer, May 26, 2006.

1. sbeamer

sbeamer New Member

OK, so I don't do a lot of the automotive stuff like I did when I was racing and working @ a bike shop. Life changes and so do one's interests. My new Roadking has a different size tire on the back vs the front.??? My 96 had the same. Anyone tell me why???
  2. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Kinda lost w /your question...most scoots come with 2 different size tires / wheels. I'm not an expert, but definitely has something to so with engineering!
  3. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Question...did you buy your 96 new?
  4. sbeamer

sbeamer New Member

Hi, I did buy my 96 new. I am now on my 10th H-D and, all of them had the same size tires frony and rear. (except for the wide glides)
  5. Seahag

Seahag New Member

sbeamer-

in the 2004 model year runs, the rear tire was changed to a MU85/16 from the MT90/16.

The difference is supposed to be a harder tread compound, deeper treads and a slightly wider (130 vs. 140mm) profile for better mileage on the touring bikes.

If it bothers you, you can always put a MT90/16 on the back and they'll be matched again.

Many people are running the new size on their pre-04 touring bikes...They will fit without modifications.
  6. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

You Can Put On Any Size You Want Acording To The Rim Size, And Clearence. If Your Front Rim Accepts The Same As Rear Why Not. Same Concept As A Car. Tall Skinny, Short And Wide.